What's The Last Book You Read?

John Crichton

On 27/02/2023 at 8:35 AM, Naïve Old Fart said:

What is a "sensitivity reader", anyway?

it's a pointless scam. at worst, some people want what's essentially the work of co-authors from some marginalized backgrounds without crediting them as authors. at best, they want an editor, and if you have fucked up ideas the work of the editor is to see how they're best represented, and if they're "fixing" the fucked up ideas then they're authors :lol:

so nothing really saves you from needing to live things to make things, or from working if you want to work.

Im currently reading the complete dumas musketeers books. 

last read books were steve brussate’s rise and fall of dinosaurs and rise and reign of mammals. For a scientific book they are very enternaining and educational, i really loved reading about the evolution and extinction of prehistoric animals through the ages towards our time.

i hope to finish one day the 50 something books i have waiting to be read.

I finally got a hold of all of L.E. Modesitt's Recluce series in hardcover, and am re-reading it. A kind of slice-of-life fantasy spanning millennia. I think it's unique in the world of Western fantasy, and I highly recommend it.

I’m finishing FAREWELL, GULSARY!, by Chinghiz Aitmatov. It’s about the friendship and loyalty between a man and his stallion, it also serves an tragic allegory of the political and USSR government. It explores the loss and grief that many Kyrgyz faced through the protagonist character in the novel.

Before that I read LIFE AND DEATH, Vasily Grossman.

• 3 weeks later...

I finished FAREWELL, GULSARY!. It was a very sad, tragic tale of a man and his horse. My Father recommended it to me years ago and I read it in his honor. 

I'm reading LE GRAND MEAULNES, by Alain-Fournier.

Fun fact: It inspired the title of F. Scott Fitzgerald's novel THE GREAT GATSBY. 

On 28/11/2023 at 7:02 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

You know, as opposed to unnatural fingering.

image.png

This just reminded me of probably the most unintentionally homoerotic scene in movie history. 
IMG_9956.gif

• 1 month later...

IMG_0063.jpeg

It’s more like a play, as the author says so in the foreword. I enjoyed it, although it’s not as good as SILK. I think I liked Tornatore’s film as well, which was shot by Hungarian cinematographer Lajos Koltai. 

• 1 month later...

IMG_0162.jpeg

I still like Crichton. Not his best, but still a very exciting read, and I’m a sucker for time travel stories, especially good ones. And this is a good one.