The Nativity Story by Mychael Danna

JMan

Just got the CD because the clips are so beautiful. The score is tight! It is a complete omage to traditional carols. Also the choir sounds gorgeous and there are also instruments in the score similar to Passion.

Check it out.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just got it, and it's beautiful - the choir and orchestra (almost entirely strings) blend perfectly, and the integration of carols is superb. Particularly, Silent Night gets the most heavenly strings and choir rendition I've ever heard.

It's not a thematic score, but it's so relaxing and ethereal. Very highly recommended.

I have low tolerance for relaxing and ethereal score. Or rather, I rarely feel like listening to them. And for the times that I do, I'll generally put on some minimalist stuff.

I think the theme for Nazareth is a nice melodic idea. There is some percussive material that outlines the journey of Mary and Joseph. Some nice cello solos too at the tender spots. The CD opens with Veni Veni Emmanuel sung by Mens Choir, bells tolling, and low strings. Its really intense.

The latin text in the singing is really nice. The recorder sounds beautiful also.

Sounds pretty boring to me. I hear it's getting lots of praise, but none of the descriptions are really my cup of tea. I don't like choirs-based scores, I don't like "native" music dominating things, my Western ears find it almost unlistenable as a stand-alone piece. So yeah, I guess I'll be passing on this.

I went through the score a couple of times. I honestly don't think it's up to par with Mychael's brother Jeff's score to The Gospel of John, to which it will no doubt be compared because the two brothers have worked together in the past, and they both are apparently scholars of sorts on ethnic or regional instrumentation.

There are a few knock out tracks on the CD, "I Bring You Good Tidings", "You Shall Be His Wife" and the teffic "Silens Nox". The score is definitely fantastic in terms of creating mood and atmosphere, but I don't think it's a score I can listen to over and over again. That should not detract from the fact that it's still a good piece of music. I cannot contest to it's use or effectiveness in the movie, which I have not seen.

Tim