Finally got ET 20th Anniversary

JMan

I presume you mean the anniversary CD, not the anniversary edition of the film (which IMO is a bit rubbish).

If so, yes, the extra music is very nice indeed. But the sound leaves a lot to be desired - the mix sounds sort of "dry" (I'm not an expert on this subject, so forgive my bad choice of words here). It sounds like its been put through some sort of filter, and it lacks the "warmth" of the previous releases. :music:

I presume you mean the anniversary CD, not the anniversary edition of the film (which IMO is a bit rubbish).

It is indeed - but it was worth doing just so that we could have the 3-DVD set, which is outstanding (and, of course, has the original version of the movie on Disc 3).

It is indeed - but it was worth doing just so that we could have the 3-DVD set, which is outstanding (and, of course, has the original version of the movie on Disc 3).

I'd have been happy with just 2-disc, the original version and extras. Or even just 1-disc, since the extras aren't very good.

But, that said, I'm glad that they released the original version, and with a good anamorphic transfer, so I'm not really too upset about having to pay for the anniversary edition as well.

Or even just 1-disc, since the extras aren't very good.

:music:

Wow, the extra's on E.T. are a true treasure trove for Williams fans. And the original behind-the-scenes footage was great too watch.

It's an excellent set, including Disc 1! Shame about the tinkering (which was wholy unnecessary), but the package as a whole really is first rate....and the Williams footage, whether from the time or the new footage, is a joy to see.....

....just a bloody shame that Lucas et al didn't have a look at the set, really!

Wow, the extra's on E.T. are a true treasure trove for Williams fans. And the original behind-the-scenes footage was great too watch.

I watched it through once, and I must admit I have no intention of watching it again.

There are actually very few cases where I buy a 2-disc special edition if there's a 1-disc version available - I normally just rent the second disc.

Is that 3-disc still around here?

I haven't seen it in stores for ages, but I recently bought it for €12,90 including shipping off this site.

Not sure if they'll ship to Belgium, though. I think they might.

• 10 years later...

I finally bought it too!

At first listening, it was the End Credits track that caught my attention.

The begnning is not the same at it is on the 1996 CD.

As it is very hard to search for "E.T." on this forum, I didn't find a post yet that explain this difference...

It is an alternate intro for the pure and simple.

Also Michael's Search aka Searching for E.T. on the albums is the film version compared to the 1996 release which featured an alternate.

You can find more discussion HERE

People often resurrect ancient threads of smaller reasons.

So the "right" version of the end credits is on the 1996 set. The 2002 one contains an alternate, right?

The 1996 CD contains the end credits cue as originally written and recorded by Williams.

Later, Spielberg asked him to change the opening.  So, a short Insert was recorded.

The 2002 CD presents that Insert followed by the rest of the original end credits.

And, IIRC, the takes used for the final film don't exactly match the takes on either CD.

All the music recorded for this film, including the theme park ride, would fit on 2 CDs.

3 hours ago, Jay said:

All the music recorded for this film, including the theme park ride, would fit on 2 CDs.

Not if you release the analog version of the complete score, the digital version of the complete score, all the alternates and the theme park ride, the OST presentation, the 1996 presentation and the 2002 presentation - this would lead to a total of 6 discs.

Nope!  I am completely right.  All the music recorded for the film, including the album, would fit on two discs.  

The complete score is about 80 minutes.  There's one disc.  The original LP is 40.  That leaves about 40 minutes, and the amount of alternates plus theme park music and everything else, is less than 40 minutes.

So two discs.

3 hours ago, Stefancos said:

My complete version has 3 discs, so you are obviously mistaken.

What does that 3rd disc contain. There is not enough material in the score itself, not even if you couple it with the original OST material.

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Nope!  I am completely right.  All the music recorded for the film, including the album, would fit on two discs.  

The complete score is about 80 minutes.  There's one disc.  The original LP is 40.  That leaves about 40 minutes, and the amount of alternates plus theme park music and everything else, is less than 40 minutes.

So two discs.

There are two discs!

picard2.jpg