Star Wars radio drama, original music?

booboobasher

Hello, can someone help me with my wondering. I am not educated in music but I think that I know my original Star Wars music by Williams quite well, though I have become somewhat confused.

Whilst out shopping the other day I picked up the Star Wars original 81 radio drama on cassette from a bargain basket. I thought that it would pass the time away on the journey home. I vaguely remember catching bit of it when I was younger. It boasts original sound effects and THE ORIGINAL OSCAR-WINNING MUSIC. Some of the music seems the same as the original soundtrack and yet other parts don’t. Did they use a different Orchestra, was it mixed differently or is there more unreleased music that has still to surface? Perhaps I am a bit naive about the latter. Anyway, it certainly had music in it that I had not heard before. The tapes that I bought were only the first four episodes of the production and I will now buy the complete sets of the trilogy. If anybody has not listened to these plays before, then I throughly recommend them.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually I believe some music was composed for the radio drama, not by Williams though, but using his themes, some nice variations of Luke's theme actually. There's a mp3 with the "original" radio drama music and I'm sure most people here have it.

Almost all of the music was from the original soundtrack - sometimes the show's producer Tom Voegli would vari-speed a cue up or down to match keys or better the drama of a scene, but generally speaking, it was presented intact. The opening title was an alternate take from the one used in the film and the album (it's one of the takes from the RCA Victor set).

About 5 minutes of music was included on a bonus cd that was not on the original soundtrack - with no explanation of who made it or where it came from. My guess is it's taken from either THE MAKING OF STAR WARS AS TOLD BY R2D2 and C3P0 or THE STAR WARS HOLIDAY SPECIAL. It includes an alternate arrangement of the Jawa theme.

About 5 minutes of music was included on a bonus cd that was not on the original soundtrack - with no explanation of who made it or where it came from. My guess is it's taken from either THE MAKING OF STAR WARS AS TOLD BY R2D2 and C3P0 or THE STAR WARS HOLIDAY SPECIAL. It includes an alternate arrangement of the Jawa theme.

It's not from the Holiday Special (I watched it recently out of... sigh... curiosity).

The cassettes that I have give no other credits except Ben Bert for sound effects, (Great stuff.) and I know that they are the real thing. As stated above, I am sure that there is other music that I have not heard before.

It may be stating the bleeding obvious - but don't forget that 2 hours of music are being used to cover nearly 6 hours of Radio - there is an awful, awful lot of chopping and editing of music to put in different sequences...which (IMHO) is actually really cleverly done.....

Somewhere I remember reading an interview with Tom Voegli (might have been Star Wars Insider) where he said that a wind and percussion ensemble was put together in Minnesota to record some new music for the radio drama because they needed some more threatening music for the Empire and some transitions etc. No idea who arranged it, but the bits were edited together and included on the limited edition set of the shows. I think they're only used in episodes 1, 3, 4 & 13.

Guest macrea

Yes, obviously Fraser had just a small studio orchestra, but it was great because it was an adaptation of just the original "Star Wars" including, as I recall, a lot of development of the wonderful Imperial motive. That little theme seems to have been tossed out like a used light bulb by most fans, but I actually like it better than The Imperial March. It's more mysterious and subtle, and it's very cleverly constructed as almost an inverse of the fanfare for the Rebels.

I actually like it better than The Imperial March.  It's more mysterious and subtle, and it's very cleverly constructed as almost an inverse of the fanfare for the Rebels.

Well when the empire is shown full blown in ESB and ROTJ, i rather prefer amore grandiose theme. :thumbup: