WOTW music on CBS

JMan

Woke up this morning to the early show on CBS. They did one of those "year in review" things and played clips of events,issues, stories from this year. one of the clips was Iran and their nuclear bomb story. The Ferry Scene was being played as this clip was shown. It was surprising!

Also they played the theme from Free WIlly at the end of the video. I checked at CBS.com for the video and its not up yet.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering the film's themes, it's kind of ironic. War of the Worlds music is also played on the Howard Stern Show every now and then when they're trying to signify that someone's crazy or if something is scary in a mad scientist kind of way. They'll often play the opening moments of "The Confrontation With Ogilvy."

Ted

Oh good, I was thinking of making a separate thread about this but felt it was too self-centerd. Now I have the chance.

Just wanted to share with you the use of the Maestro's music in my radio show. Well, I use it all the time, so I'll focus on the past few weeks, which have been really Williams-heavy. So, chrono-wise:

·The christmasy opening of "Christmas at Hogwarts" was used for a short commercial I edited, in which the station wished a merry Christmas to our listeners.

·On Spielberg's birthday, I made him a short homage with sound clips from his movies while I read trivia about his life. The music in the background was the Island Theme from Jurassic Park (or whatever you call the fanfare that's played as the helicopter lands on the island) because I felt it was a good representation of the bigger-than-life scope of most of his films, while it had a sense of wonder and amazement. And it was enough of an icon to be associated with his films.

·On Christmas Eve, I was asked to cover how Christmas is celebrated in the city. So I recorded some locals commenting, did some narration and then I added 'Somewhere in my Memory' to the intro, 'Duncan's Toy Shop' for the preparation of dinner and present-buying, 'Christmas Star' for the mindnight masses coverage and then the final seconds of 'Somewhere in my Memory' to wrap everything up. I'm particularly proud of this because I got a call later on from the director the show saying my piece was his favorite from all the ones he got from the rest of local radios.

·For other commercials, I used 'Holiday Flight', 'Little Drummer Boy' Boston Pops Version, and of course, 'Arrival in New York City'.

Shame we don't have any New Year's music by JW.

Well, WOTW is a Paramount film, so I guess CBS would have the rights to it since they are both under the same owner.

That sounds really cool, Ross.  I'd enjoy listening to your promos, etc if you're able to post them.

Ray Barnsbury

Thanks, Ray. Unfortunately, the promos are in Spanish and the editing done to the music is... not right. They should, however, feed John Williams with enough copyright fees dough to earn him a weekend of intense golf-playing and wine-tasting.

He owes me!