Headphones

bob23

Insane.  Besides, headphones kill your ears.  I'm learning that the hard way.  Might as well go all in at this point though.  Smart people who work with audio or listen to it constantly will get good speakers or monitors.

13 hours ago, TGP said:

Insane.  Besides, headphones kill your ears.  I'm learning that the hard way.  Might as well go all in at this point though.  Smart people who work with audio or listen to it constantly will get good speakers or monitors.

Correct!

I noticed that my tinnitus ears prefer headphones these days. The ringing gets worse with speakers. This could be due to the sound reflections of the room (there's no reflections with headphones) and the interaction of the L & R speakers that make the sound too complex for my sad affliction. 

On 1/27/2018 at 2:07 PM, TGP said:

If you listen at idiotic volumes, you're fucked yes. But there is no reason that headphones will damage your ears more than speakers. If anything if a noise-canceling pair of headphones can get you to listen at a lower volume, you're doing better for your ears! 

If you're one of those people who can't not be listening to music all the time, you will also fuck your hearing. 

I picked up a cheap pair of Sony street style headphones. Like Koss, these have a great retro feel. They've been making them for decades and I'm sure someone was sporting a pair at some point in the 1998 Godzilla.

• 2 weeks later...

shopping.jpeg

KSC21

These are the ones you want to get. I'm not sure if they use the KSC75 drivers, but they sound pretty damn good, especially after burn-in. The KSC75s and Portapro have seen ridiculous price hikes in recent years and they're just not worth it anymore when you have a cheaper (less than $10) alternative like this with great sound. Koss are supposed to be cheap.

• 3 weeks later...

My favorite gadget on the planet right now, because it's so un-gadget-like. A couple of strange 1.0 user interface choices (i.e. you can't control volume from them)...

But it just kinda works. It's an invisible but vital part of my daily life. 

13 hours ago, Blumenkohl said:

My favorite gadget on the planet right now, because it's so un-gadget-like. A couple of strange 1.0 user interface choices (i.e. you can't control volume from them)...

But it just kinda works. It's an invisible but vital part of my daily life. 

Cheers. How comfortable do you find them? Do you pretty much wear them all day?

I'm just finally getting tired of cords. Not just getting tangled in things, but the hassle of them dangling when I have to pop the earphones out, where to put them, wrapping them around the phone when the phone goes in my pocket, then unwrapping them, etc. Seems like half the time if I feel like listening to something I don't because it's too much bother to pull the dam things out.

I want something I can more or less wear all on and off throughout the day and I can just pop out when I'm interacting with people, etc.  Something that's convenient and always there if I need it and more or less fits in to my daily routine, which corded earphones definitely are not.  I'm not even that fussed about the quality, more the convenience. 

Battery life would prevent you from leaving them in all day. You get 5 hours before you have to charge them and the case holds a 24 hour charge. They do charge very fast though so if you pop them back in the case whenever you’re not wearing them you should be fine.

If someone is talking to you you only have to take out one and the music automatically pauses. 

The sound quality is probably slightly better than regular EarPods.

22 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

Battery life would prevent you from leaving them in all day. You get 5 hours before you have to charge them and the case holds a 24 hour charge. They do charge very fast though so if you pop them back in the case whenever you’re not wearing them you should be fine.

5 hours actually isn't bad at all for wireless earphones.  

I went ahead and ordered them.

Smart choice, and mine have lasted well beyond 5 hours when not in use. For instance, sometimes I fall asleep with them in, and though they’ve popped out in my sleep and aren’t playing anything, they’ll still have plenty of battery life in the morning. And it takes maybe 5 minutes in the case for a decent charge either way.

You can also customize some gestures. Instead of popping a bud out to pause the music, you can just double tap one. 

Serious question

Anybody know of any good bluetooth over the ear headphones?  Something like these?

61Mm5I0stVL._SL1100_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H1XKC2U/

I need them for mowing the lawn / snowblowing;  With earbuds I can't hear a podcast over the engine, and with wired the wire always gets in the way or the plug falls out of my phone.  So it has to be bluetooth and has to be big and sturdy to cover my ears and be fine in outdoor scenarios

Any suggestions?

2 minutes ago, Philippe Roaché said:

I would stick with earplugs when performing those tasks to protect your hearing.

I use a Ryobi battery powered lawnmower, which runs pretty quiet. No need for earplugs on that one. My electric mulcher is another story, that thing gets friggin loud.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Serious question

Anybody know of any good bluetooth over the ear headphones?  Something like these?

61Mm5I0stVL._SL1100_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H1XKC2U/

I need them for mowing the lawn / snowblowing;  With earbuds I can't hear a podcast over the engine, and with wired the wire always gets in the way or the plug falls out of my phone.  So it has to be bluetooth and has to be big and sturdy to cover my ears and be fine in outdoor scenarios

Any suggestions?

I don’t normally recommend Bose but these are pretty good as far as sound and noise cancellation. 

https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/headphones/over_ear_headphones/quietcomfort-35-wireless-ii.html

@TGP model #?

@Blumenkohl those look nice but they are $350!  I am looking for something that's going to survive being covered in sweat and dirt and snow and rain, where I won't mind if they get dinged up

Especially listening to soundtracks that often dip into the quiet range. Rock stays louder more often. I have an electric mower, it's much quieter than your normal gas mower. 

But I would think it's unsafe to drown out the outside world when doing that kind of yard work. To each his own, I guess. 

4 hours ago, Woj said:

Especially listening to soundtracks that often dip into the quiet range. Rock stays louder more often. I have an electric mower, it's much quieter than your normal gas mower. 

But I would think it's unsafe to drown out the outside world when doing that kind of yard work. To each his own, I guess. 

Once again, I specifically said podcasts in my posts, not music.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Once gain, I specifically said podcasts in my posts, not music.

I gotchu fam. Here’s whatchu need:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0723CYHPZ/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1521127910&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=3m+worktunes&dpPl=1&dpID=517t8cqrkyL&ref=plSrch

Okay, now that looks cool. Color me interested too. I was thinking along the terms of blasting the music to drown out the noise of the engine. My family has some of the normal hearing protectors for yard work. It takes me a half hour max to cut my yard, but I'm sure it would be nice for streaming a sports game.  It might be a nice gift. Also looks useful for airplanes and busses. 

Yea I'm out there for 2-3 hours to mow the lawn, same for snowblowing.  I like to listen to podcasts while doing it.  I don't need to drown out any outside noise, I just get more motivated to keep working with a good podcast to listen to during it.  Makes the time fly by