Headphones

bob23

My headphones recently died :P , so I am looking to buy a new pair. Any recommendations? Probably don't want to spend too much more than $50.

Thanks

I currently have these here which you can buy at Wally World or any other electronic store that carries them. I always take off the things sticking out above the ear pads since they hurt the ears too much to have them in. They have awesome sound to them.

I recently bought these here but from another site. I'll be recieving them tomorrow. They are a bit more yes but my brother David had a pair in the 90's and they were the best headphones I used.

I've got a pair of Bose QuietComfort 2's I believe, got a new one for free after my old one broke. I enjoy them.

Bose, of course, being hated quite vocally on these boards.

Try Sennheiser phones. May cost a little more but they are well worth it. They last.

I second the Bose headphones.

I originally use, and still own, the Quiet Comfort 1 set of headphones and not only do they cancel all the outside noises, they are big and plushy and feel awfully nice against my head when laying down at night.

A little more pricey than $50, but I have had these phones for more than 3 years and they have lasted me this long. Not a bad buy, I might add.

Good deals to be had:

Here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/BOSE-QUIET-COMFORT-QC3...2QQcmdZViewItem

Here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/BOSE-QUIET-COMFORT-QC3...2QQcmdZViewItem

Here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/BOSE-QUIET-COMFORT-HEA...1QQcmdZViewItem

And here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/BOSE-NOISE-CANCELLING-...2QQcmdZViewItem

Q-Man how do you know Bose are hated on this forum?

When Neil was here there were huge hate fests going on whenever headphones were mentioned as I recall

I'm tellling you Grado sr60 have entry audiophile sound to fully appreciate your JW.I wouldn't edit without them.If you go for noise cancelling headphones(Bose quiet confort),keep in mind they block out certain frequencies and remove some of the detail of the music in doing so.Now in pop music that doesn't matter,but in JW it matters.

they are built very solid too

http://www.gradolabs.com/product_pages/sr60.htm

k.M.

When Neil was here there were huge hate fests going on whenever headphones were mentioned as I recall

Ohhhh okay. Maybe people's opinions will be different now?

If it's for use on a portable player then you can't go better then a Sony Fontopia.

That is if you like earbuds. I've never liked earbuds they hurt my ears too much even if they're in my ears for a very short period of time.

Try Sennheiser phones. May cost a little more but they are well worth it. They last.

I second that. I have the Sennheiser HD 570, beautiful sound.

I third that. I have the Sennheiser PX100W, which were a good cost/quality balance, $60 at Circuit City.

I can't say I've never heard any myself. All I know is that Bose speakers are generally considered crap, particularly by the very crowd that otherwise says you have to listen for yourself to find the right speakers. Supposedly, they sound "impressive" by having lots of bass etc., but perform very badly otherwise when compared to quality speakers.

Kinda like Shawn Murphy on a bad day, apparently.

If it's for use on a portable player then you can't go better then a Sony Fontopia.

Yes. Oh, yes.

I've tried them all,and the 15$ Sony MDR E818LP's are the best.They have bigger drivers(16mm) than any other earbuds and give a fuller sound for orchestral music.The reason they are so cheap is that they are the same since about 1990 and must be cheap to produce.

i'm a bit a fanatic on earbuds,so I really tried most of them.In the 1990's Sony used to make really expensive ones with sapphire or diamond coated diaphragms and I bought those too.The E-818 derive from those and sounded the same so Sony quit making the ones with fancy sounding materials.I don't like the "in ear" ones (EX series),the bass is too pronounced and the midrange is inexistant.

i agree the sennheiser PX-100 are good for ipod,but even better(though uglier) are the Koss Portapro's

I can't say I've never heard any myself. All I know is that Bose speakers are generally considered crap, particularly by the very crowd that otherwise says you have to listen for yourself to find the right speakers. Supposedly, they sound "impressive" by having lots of bass etc., but perform very badly otherwise when compared to quality speakers.

Kinda like Shawn Murphy on a bad day, apparently.

Exactly,i had a pair of bose speakers for years and hated them.Over pronounced bass and poor midrange and soundscape.

K.M.

I've tried them all,and the 15$ Sony MDR E818LP's are the best.They have bigger drivers(16mm) than any other earbuds and give a fuller sound for orchestral music.The reason they are so cheap is that they are the same since about 1990 and must be cheap to produce.

Wrong, these are the best out there:

mdrex71lrg.jpg

I think the problem is the size of the driver which is only 9 mm wide and can not reproduce some midrange frequencies very well,at least that was my impression of them.However,they block out subway noise better than the ones I mention since they go in your ear canals.It is also possible I did not use the right rubber earpiece.

Now these new ones are the newest EX series ones and have increased size drivers(13.5mm),I am curious about these(MDREX90LP).They probably solve the issue I have with the other ones:

MDREX90LP_lg.jpg

k.M.

Wow, thanks for all of the responses. I'll see how much money I have to spend after I buy books for next semester. Fortunately... or unfortunately :? I am probably going to spend more than I really should. I'm going to get headphones, never liked those earbuds things. I can't stand them being stuck in my ear.

I'm another Sennheiser PX100 fan......the PX200's are god too (same but with a little more Bass), but the PX100's have the edge with clarity of sound - and are award winners.....I would be lost without them.....they are superb.....

In the UK they are usually £30-ish.....and worth every penny...

Well I got my Sony MDR V600's this afternoon, damn I didn't realize how big they were. They are big but they are very comfortable to wear. The sound quality for them is fracking awesome. The bass is very deep. The highs and lows come in pretty clearly and best of all they do cancel the outside world noise. I listened to some music at full blast with these headphones with my mom in the same room and she said she could hear a tiny bit of it but not as bad as before. These were definitely worth the $67.00 (plus shipping) that I spent on them.

These will probably mostly for listening to music on my computer. I'll probably buy some of those Sony earbuds that KM posted next month to take with me to places, dunno yet on that one.

I've sampled the Bose headphones and they do sound very good to my ears. I've got an expensive pair of Sony headphones lying around that I had to buy a few years ago because my wife suffers from migranes. I try to avoid using headphones because it's bad for your hearing.

When I was younger I used to use headphones quite a bit and now I can notice that my hearing, while still very good, is suffering some long term effects because of it.

I try to avoid using headphones because it's bad for your hearing.

That is not by definition true.

Not with noise cancellers I should think since you don't need to turn up the volume to compensate for outside noise.

I try to avoid using headphones because it's bad for your hearing.

That is not by definition true.

There are many who would say it is a true statement.

• 5 months later...

I got some Shure E2-C ear canal phones today.I was sceptical but they sound amazing,identical to my "big" Grado SR60 I use for home listening(not sure how it's possible but it is)

Listening to my ipod has just gotten a lot more interesting.Funny it took me a year of glancing at them in the store before trying them out,but they are 100$

they are also very confortable and fit very securely in the ear

e2c_large.jpg

K.M.

I got some Shure E2-C ear canal phones today.I was sceptical but they sound amazing,identical to my "big" Grado SR60 I use for home listening(not sure how it's possible but it is)

Listening to my ipod has just gotten a lot more interesting.Funny it took me a year of glancing at them in the store before trying them out,but they are 100$

they are also very confortable and fit very securely in the ear

e2c_large.jpg

K.M.

Looks somewhat sexual.

In my humble opinion, AKG's studio headphones models are the best in the world. I'm also a proud owner of the K 240 Studio model, I've had them for several years now and excellent is all I can say. What a fantastic sound clarity and audio quality! I'd certainly recommend AKG to all audiophiles, but also to everyone else, you'll never believe how the music can be heard with such good headphones.

The only minor "drawback", if I can call it so, of my headphones is their high impendance (600 ohms). That is of course not such a problem until you try them with your, say, portable CD or MP3 player. :D:)

These Shures are really something.Never heard anything quite like this in portable headphones .It's like having full sized phones on your ipod.

I got a pair of Bose Triport headphones for Father's Day.

I have mixed feelings about them, they sounded great with songs (Rock, R &B, pop etc etc.) but with film scores there's something missing.