Headphones

bob23

Decided to get some new computer speakers since mine were starting to really get annoying. A lot of hiss and static and adjusting the volume would result in weird warbling effects.

I got the Logitech Z313, which was probably a mistake. Didn't realize how cheap they were everywhere else compared to Best Buy's inflated price. They're okay for $35 I guess. They sound a bit muffled with too much bass. And you can't even adjust the base on the subwoofer, which is unfortunate.

Just cause you work at Best Buy doesn't mean you have to buy all your electronics there you know.

There are lots of good headphones and speakers that BB doesn't sell.

Speakers are built to last more than 10 years. I'm still using the speakers I got while I was in college for my main 5.1 setup in my living room.

Oh right. Yea those probably don't have as long a shelf line.

I've been using the same logitech speakers with my computer for 7+ years and they sound the same as they always have

When my dad passed away I found a nice little computer set with a small subwoofer in his belongings. I can't remember the name but I've been using them with my iPod, since I've got all my CDs packed up for our move, and the music sounds great.

• 5 months later...

I always like to try out new Shure products so I bought the Shure SE215 (not to be confused with SE210) , and they sound above all Shure I've owned before in detail and clarity (E2C, SE102,SE115). These actually exceed the headphones Grado SR60's I use on my PC

I got them on sale for 99$

(Shure models I tried and DIDN'T like :SE110,SE210 )

The right phone just died on my workout/jogging pair and it's driving me crazy.

Think I'll just go with another pair of cheap wrap-around buds:

41z7K3vaXNL._SL110_.jpg

I'm still faithful to Sennheisers. It's not that they're absolutely perfect, but even the cheap ones make the difference. Had to switch to the Apple earbuds that come with iPods and painfully reminded myself of this again.

Karol

If you are out on the go a lot, I still can't recommend the V-Moda Ocatave earbuds enough. These are truly the best earbuds I've ever owned. Not only for sound, true noise cancellation but for comfort too. I've got small openings for my ears, so most of your other earbud fittings are going to hurt mine. However, these things come with pretty small earbud fittings and I can listen to my music for hours on end with out my earbuds hurting my ears.

http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-V-Moda-Octave-Earbuds-Headphones/dp/B0035BHB5S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318666144&sr=8-1

Honestly they are well worth the price.

I'll eventually get a pair of the Sony over the ear headphones that Joe (Data) recommended for home listening experience. As I said though for those of you who are out and about a lot, the V-Moda Octaves are the right choice.

I'm still faithful to Sennheisers. It's not that they're absolutely perfect, but even the cheap ones make the difference. Had to switch to the Apple earbuds that come with iPods and painfully reminded myself of this again.

Karol

Had to switch? Because you can't go outside and be seen with them Sennheisers?

I still use them outdoors because I like the very handy, discreet volume control and track selection buttons located on the wire by my right ear. And they sound pretty good whilst on the move, tbh.

Indoors I stick to my Goldring's.

Karol

Had to switch? Because you can't go outside and be seen with them Sennheisers?

No I smashed them by accident.

Karol

By accident? is that the story you are going by now?

Got a pair of Sennheister airbuds for 30 Euro's. They sound very good, certainly not worse then the old 90+ Euro Sony's i used to buy. And when these break down it won't be another financial headache.

The thing is even the cheap Sennheiser earbuds are way above avarage. Mine used to cost something around 60 quid, but the ones for 15 are not too bad either. Anyway, I don't exactly see the point of being to picky about earbuds. It's not like they can ever replace a proper sound system.

Karol - who just breaks things all the time in the most inexplicable ways

The Apple earbuds fit perfectly in my ears and stay there. All others I've tried have those detachable caps and those always fall out and are uncomfortable. If I'm walking outside, I want to be able to hear my surroundings.

Only morons still use the standard Apple buds these days.

The Apple earbuds fit perfectly in my ears and stay there. All others I've tried have those detachable caps and those always fall out and are uncomfortable. If I'm walking outside, I want to be able to hear my surroundings.

According to you, for me and millions of others they're perfectly fine.

For you and millions of others, Star Wars music is nothing but the main theme and the Imperial March over and over again! ;)

According to you, for me and millions of others they're perfectly fine.

For you and millions of others, Star Wars music is nothing but the main theme and the Imperial March over and over again! ;)

Therefore it must be true! ;)

The Apple earbuds are "good enough" for many people, and are quite useful for many applications.

I bought a pair of moderately pricey Audio Technica ATH-M50 studio monitor headphones on the advice of Alexcremers here, and use them specifically for listening to music at work and for use at my computer or laptop when working, playing games, or listening to music. They are really quite nice, even though the strain relief spring pulled out and I never fixed it.

They are also quite large. I look like I belong in a record studio, or even out on the tarmac landing airplanes. They are not really portable. I would feel like a darn fool taking them with me to, say, the doctor's office or some other place that I would want to listen to my iPod while I wait.

I had a great pair of Koss earbuds with the squishy inserts and great bass response, but one cord broke inside and they became junk. I also developed a sore ear from using them for too long. For portability, I usually use some Sony individual over-the-ear clip type headphones. But I can certainly understand why some folks are happy with the Apple earbuds.

They're cheap.

They were "free" with the iPod.

They feel a special loyalty to Apple and don't want to mix and match parts.

They don't care about their music or can't hear the difference.

The only time I really listen to my iPod on the go anymore is when I'm running. So every couple of months I buy a cheap pair and wear them until they get worn out. I mostly listen to my iPod in the car through the stereo.

I use these headphones at home or on an airplane.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-V150-Monitor-Series-Headphones/dp/B000092YPR/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318820863&sr=8-1

I dont like wearing them for long periods of time because they kind of just sit on top of your ears and they can get uncomfortable.

They are also quite large. I look like I belong in a record studio, or even out on the tarmac landing airplanes. They are not really portable. I would feel like a darn fool taking them with me to, say, the doctor's office or some other place that I would want to listen to my iPod while I wait.

Who's the more foolish...the fool, or the fool whose music sounds like crap? ;)

I had a great pair of Koss earbuds with the squishy inserts and great bass response, but one cord broke inside and they became junk. I also developed a sore ear from using them for too long. For portability, I usually use some Sony individual over-the-ear clip type headphones. But I can certainly understand why some folks are happy with the Apple earbuds.

My dad has a pair of the Koss earbuds that you mention. I used them as a temporary until I could get me another pair of V-Moda Octaves. Like you after a while my ears got sore if I wore them for too long.

As I said I will always recommend the V-Moda Octave earbuds. They are perfect, they come with very small ear fittings for those of us who don't have big openings in our ears. Plus they are really true noise cancellation earbuds. I listen to my music while I'm at the store and it completely drowns out everything around me. Well if I'm listening to an action oriented score. The V-Moda also comes with a splitter where you can plug two sets of earbuds into one device. I think that is pretty handy sometimes.

I usually just go to Radio Shack and buy one of those single-piece Y-splitters (not the cable type) to do the same thing.

I say usually because I used to have the bad habit of misplacing them. The last gizmo that I bought, I haven't lost.

All this talk of bashing iPod earbuds reminds of me of the classic Game Boy, which also came with a pair of cheap earbuds....and they were good enough for that too. Granted, 8-bit audio from 1989 is not on par with a 360 kbps orchestral opus on an iPod, but I digress.

Aurvana_Live-1.jpg

Creative Labs Aurvana Live

Apparently, these are like hidden gems. An incarnation of the famous Denon AH-D1001 which was actually designed or build by Fostex. They can be found quite cheap on the internet these days.

Alex

I'm sure they're good. But it's not something I would carry with me.

But it's nice and warm in there.

Yup. I tend to stay there quite a lot these days. ;)

Karol

It's more for listening to music at home, even though they are not that big. To be honest, I don't listen to music when I'm outside the house. Music is such a big part of my life that I sometimes need to get away from it and so I don't travel, bike or walk around while listening to music.

Alex