Headphones

bob23

Eh, it's the only object I decided to go full out. I'd rather spend on this than speakers or the top of the line TV and home theater. Or ipads that need replacing every few years

yes, the Stax electrostatic headphone I tried yesterday was 3000$, and you also have to buy the amp that goes with it (didn't ask the price)

It's cool that I'm finding a way to listen to them and getting a better understanding of true audiophile sound. Make no mistake , those 4 top models I listed are leagues ahead of anything that costs in the 400$-500$ range with a noticeable and real difference you can hear

To shatter the illusion of absurdly increasing sound quality in conjunction with price, or not to shatter the illusion of absurdly increasing sound quality in conjunction with price....

There are headphones that sound brilliant - about the highest level of brilliant attainable. The thing is, they don't cost anywhere near $3000. It's a bit of a scam, but now I've said too much....

There are headphones that sound brilliant - about the highest level of brilliant attainable. The thing is, they don't cost anywhere near $3000.

Interest piqued...

Eh, it's the only object I decided to go full out. I'd rather spend on this than speakers or the top of the line TV and home theater. Or ipads that need replacing every few years

Good for you, treat yourself. It feels good.

There's nothing to tell. I'm not saying there's one particular model that renders all others obsolete. But I guarantee you can find something of equal if not better quality to that three grand model, for far less cash.

My point is, when headphone shopping, don't go on Amazon and click "sort by price - highest to lowest" as a method of deciding what must sound best.

KM has done his homework obviously and is listening to them, but I'm certain he could find a better deal without sacrificing quality.

I hope it's clear I'm only talking about Stereo music and NOT movies with a 5.1 soundtrack and sound effects that need a subwoofer. Of course I listen to a movie on my home theater and not on headphones All I'm saying is that you'd have to spend a lot more on speakers to get to that level for music

There's nothing to tell. I'm not saying there's one particular model that renders all others obsolete. But I guarantee you can find something of equal if not better quality to that three grand model, for far less cash.

I said the top 4 in my list sounded about the same and the 3000$ Stax wasn't the one I preferred. We have a lot of shops here with walls of the cheaper headphones on demo and I've listened to a lot of them.Tell me of something cheap that beats then and I'll go listen to them

It comes down to:

-the cheaper Grados (225, 325..) : Pretty good but don't sound as good as the 2 top of the line ones. I had 225's for 2 years

- the cheaper Seinheiser (up to HD 650) :don't sound as good as the HD 800 , noticeable difference

- Some Sony models like the V-6 are accurate but not comparable in overall impression

- All Shure over the head models sounded like crap but they make great in-ear ones (I like SE 215 for my ipod)

- AKG 701 is ok for 400$

What else is there...Dr. Dre for 500$ ? A lot of people seem to wear them but they don't sound good with orchestral music

What if it sounds brilliant? Like nothing ive ever heard...and then have to go back to my affordable earbuds?

It's exactly like that..that's why I'm doing this. Again,for stereo music only

Again, I don't have any particular models in mind. Just pointing out that it's prudent to keep searching.

Yeah... don't get the Dre things. Those are fucking awful.

Was thinking about getting Dre's Phat Beats because they're discounted on Groupon. I don't listen exclusively to orchestral music though, far from it as a matter of fact.

Don't do it! You can't switch off the 'Loudness' function.

Alex - who loved 'Loudness' when he was a kid but who is now allergic to it.

• 3 weeks later...

Can anybody recommend a good pair of noise cancelling headphones? I listen to mostly orchestral music (film music and classical), but also musicals, jazz and some jazz vocal stuff. I generally don't listen to music is noisy scenarios (ie on an airplane or in the passenger seat of a car), only in relatively quite situations. The noise canceling imperative is just to protect my hearing. Ideally they'd be less than $75... I'm been using these for the past few years, but they just broke. I liked them quite a bit, but if somebody has any better suggestions I'm open to them!

Also: tips on maintenance for the cord that connect the headphones to the headphone jack? Mine is broken (it looks fine, but half the time it doesn't transmit any sound), and it's the second time in the last few months I broke it. Not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I imagine it has to do with how I travel with the thing. Is there a safe way to scrunch it up for travel?

Also: tips on maintenance for the cord that connect the headphones to the headphone jack?

If you put the ipod in your pocket, the section of cord that sticks out keeps being bent back and forth when you walk and it creates a short in the long run

I have a ring to hang my ipod nano from my belt so that doesn't happen

In-ear canal earphones like Shure create a seal and block out noise without the "noise canceling" gimmick .They work well in the subway for me

Also: tips on maintenance for the cord that connect the headphones to the headphone jack?

If you put the ipod in your pocket, the section of cord that sticks out keeps being bent back and forth when you walk and it creates a short in the long run

I have a ring to hang my ipod nano from my belt so that doesn't happen

In-ear canal earphones like Shure create a seal and block out noise without the "noise canceling" gimmick .They work well in the subway for me

Thanks KM! so what's the best way to carry the cord, if you don't have the belt option? Just detaching it and stuffing it in your pocket?

I put the cord through the belt loops in my jeans and keep the iPod in my back pocket. SR60 still going strong for years with daily use and lots of physical activity and sweating. Same goes for the iGrado, which is actually meant to be portable.

Grado cords are almost indestructible (one of the reasons I invested in the GS1000i)

Thinner cords of ear canal phones always break. The key is not having it dangling out of a pocket. Someone working at a hi-fi store told me this after I kept breaking mine.Now my Shure SE215 have lasted 2 years, a record

Grado cords are almost indestructible (one of the reasons I invested in the GS1000i)

Thinner cords of ear canal phones always break. The key is not having it dangling out of a pocket. Someone working at a hi-fi store told me this after I kept breaking mine.Now my Shure SE215 have lasted 2 years, a record

You only have to worry about the cans. My left one detached and needs to be put in place before listening.

• 4 months later...

I just ordered replacement earpads for my iGrados. They actually needed new pads years ago, but I've just been a neglectful idiot. I've even let my SR60s fall apart and now suffer from left channel cut out. But the iGrados are still going strong. They're my longest lasting headphones ever and I have to say, they're my favorite. I've owned several pairs of SR60s and they have all eventually fallen apart. Yet, the iGrados remain. If I have one serious complaint, it's that they are a tight fit and eventually inflict pain on my ears. But it's all worth it. That said, I'm looking into boiling the headband and clipping them onto something overnight to stretch them out.

grado-igrado-headphones.jpg

The headband is separated from the height adjuster, which is separated from the can. It can all be assembled back together, but they fall apart if they're not on my head. I have worn them at work/in public for a while now, 8-10 hours a day, with the cord through my belt loops. The iGrados are obviously the better choice since they're designed to be portable, but the SR60s were more comfortable for longer listening. I prefer the sound of the iGrados now, anyway. I wish they had redesigned them for the E series. It's ironic that these are the lowest tier headphones in Grado's repertoire, yet I prefer them over 80s and 125s.

. It's ironic that these are the lowest tier headphones in Grado's repertoire, yet I prefer them over 80s and 125s.

I couldn't hear the difference between SR60-80-125 .My first pair Grados were SR60 and I used them 3 years and I still have them

At SR 225 you get a noticeably better sound . I used those for 3 more years before getting the GS1000i

Anyways I never take Grados outside the home

• 1 month later...

I'm thinking of "downgrading" to Koss SportaPro. I remember having these years ago and really digging on the sound until they eventually broke horribly, and they're more comfortable and portable than Grados, which just aren't designed for extended or portable listening.