Headphones

bob23

I think Thor would strongly disagree with that, Diet. To him, the Williams scores recorded and mixed by Murphy have what he calls "a silky tone". Maybe this is the very sound that Blumenkohl detests? 

On 4/23/2018 at 6:37 PM, crocodile said:

Oh dear. ;)

Karol

Heads up, when you get the M-Stage HPA-3u there is a red power voltage switch on the side (115V/230V) you need to set correctly for your region before you plug in, and the instructions don’t make that clear. In the US if you set it incorrectly (the US should be 115V) you’ll get white noise and no sound and think your unit is broken.

In Europe (generally should be 230V) you could damage your unit. 

My guess is they come out of the box set to 230v to annoy Americans and avoid such damage.

8 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Ave @Blumenkohl! Ave @Marian Schedenig! I'm really enjoying my new AKG K712Pro. At £164, it was a steal.

:music:Avengers: Infinity War

Karol

That is an amazing price...lowest I've ever seen. 

@Alexcremers headphones shown in this video are actually K7XX. I'm not sure what this guy is on about, you can see it on the actual can. Apparently they're almost exactly the same as K712 which I've got but people seem to be confused as to what this model is supposed to be. I think it doesn't have coiled cable and is also a limited edition version available exclusively via Massdrop made in China (and not Europe). K701 (white) and K702 (black) are older models (although they apparently have revised versions too with K712 memory foam pads). The difference between 701 and 712, other than colour, is the band resting on your head (it's padded on the old one and smooth on K712). As for the sound differences, I couldn't tell you as I'm not really an expert but I suppose they're all great in their own ways. The general "consensus" is that K712 are supposed to be probably tiny bit "bassier" (not that any of them are really are bass-heavy) and "smoother" but even there the opinions seem to vary...

What I find really funny a lot of the people seem to seek the original run of K712 because they're made in Austria whereas the later editions were made in Slovakia. It's supposed to be more premium or whatever but, as many Europeans will know, there's like...80 km (49 miles) between those? I'm sure Slovakians are more than capable of putting it all together given they use probably the same equipment and, who knows, probably even the same people. But consumers are funny like that. ;)

Karol

6 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Funny, I just saw this a couple of days ago ...

They very much look the same. What's the difference between 712 and 702?

The 712 have a slightly smaller sound stage, in exchange for a bit more oomph and a smoother, darker sound. 

The 702 sound like the orchestra members are sitting farther apart, and the trumpets are shined to a mirror finish for God, but bass is basically a token. 

Both are fantastic, but the K712 excels beyond just orchestral music, so it’s a better all-arounder. 

Thanks for the info, guys. I just went to my local music shop (it's around the corner) and these are their prices:

AKG K-702: 146 Euro

AKG K-712: 253 Euro

Go to Crocs amazon UK link. Sign up for the free trial prime and get the 712 for 164 GBP. 

You will I’ll need an amp keep that in mind before you buy. Croc can probably attest to the before after. 

Oh yeah they literally come to life with an amp. Even a layman like myself can tell the difference.

Another great thing about those is comfort. They are so light! It doesn't really feel like you're wearing anything. But that might not be for someone who like a tighter grip.

Karol

11 hours ago, Blumenkohl said:

Not all headphones benefit from amps. Watchu got?

Nothing yet.

After I get back from Ireland I must look into this.

13 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

I read this thread and then see this ad on Facebook. Phew, that’s weird.51ACA619-BAEE-4001-8B4F-51038A5ED521.png

This happens to me all the time. Any page with a Facebook button is monitored.

Howdy!

So my trusted headphones (earbuds, as Faleel tells me... ;-) ) of almost five years have gone the way of the Dodo (on the right side only [broken wire within the chord, I suppose], but you can't do much with half a Dodo, right?), and I'm painfully not up-to-speed on tech stuff.

I used to have the in-ear headphone from Klipsch (Image S4i, those with the soft rubber inset that kept noise out), and would like to go for something similar. I seem to recall that they cost about $100, and I'd be fine with paying this amount. Sound quality was more than acceptable for someone like me. No wireless Bluetooth ones, though, because I'd lose them before even having them...

So...hit me up me suggestions for similar in-ear headphones similar to the parametres described above.

Ta & tata from Albertatata!

This might be my next portable earphones to replace my Shure 215

Fiio F9 Pro. It has 3 Drivers and 200$ Other companies charge about 500+ for something like this

https://www.headfonia.com/review-fiio-f9-pro/

On 5/1/2018 at 9:14 AM, Kühni said:

Howdy!

So my trusted headphones (earbuds, as Faleel tells me... ;-) ) of almost five years have gone the way of the Dodo (on the right side only [broken wire within the chord, I suppose], but you can't do much with half a Dodo, right?), and I'm painfully not up-to-speed on tech stuff.

I used to have the in-ear headphone from Klipsch (Image S4i, those with the soft rubber inset that kept noise out), and would like to go for something similar. I seem to recall that they cost about $100, and I'd be fine with paying this amount. Sound quality was more than acceptable for someone like me. No wireless Bluetooth ones, though, because I'd lose them before even having them...

So...hit me up me suggestions for similar in-ear headphones similar to the parametres described above.

Ta & tata from Albertatata!

You're looking for IEMs. In Ear Monitors. I don't use IEMs...so no clue! :( 

well the ones I linked above are candidates for me (Fiio F9 Pro)

And I have Shure SE 215 I'm very happy about for the past 5 years or so .I can't really find faults in the sound .They lasted so long I had to repair a small hole in the casing with epoxy because the plastic was deteriorating.

For that budget, you can pull off an AKG K712 if you use Croc’s Amazon link (164 GBP) and a Fiio E17K Alpen 2 (99 GBP) portable amp. 

That will be able to drive the K712 at a healthy non-deafening volume. 

You will absolutely need an amp for the K712. 

I know €250-300 not much as far as a good set of headphones go, but those prices are one reason (the other being not feeling the need for most remasters) I'm happy to have less than audiophile hearing.  The most I ever spent was 150 on my Airpods, and that was only for convenience. Before that I don't think I spent more than 20 quid, in my life, on headphones. It's not about the cash, I just don't think I could tell the difference as well as some of you lot. 

Koray used to listen to music on his laptop.

That’s like eating food with a terrible cold and sinus infection. Sure the food goes down, but man you’re missing on flavors!

Airpods are pretty good, but they don’t capture the lower end of music well, and you don’t need to be audiophile to hear that. And no headphone will ever capture the chest thump a bass drum gives over speakers or in person. 

Did you know there is a piano in the imperial march? 

Thanks for all your input...haven't decided yet, and finances need figuring out, too. :)

On 5/5/2018 at 7:38 PM, Blumenkohl said:

Airpods are pretty good, but they don’t capture the lower end of music well, and you don’t need to be audiophile to hear that. And no headphone will ever capture the chest thump a bass drum gives over speakers or in person. 

Did you know there is a piano in the imperial march? 

Of course I knew. I accompanies the hurry-gurdy in the track quite nicely.

Or can't you hear that on your equipment?

Pity.

@crocodile and @Blumenkohl, thank you both for all information about AKG K-701/702 and K-712! :thumbup: I guess that before long, I'll need to start thinking about buying either of those to replace my beloved and revered, but aging and somewhat tired 10+ years old K 272 HD.