bob23

Headphones

974 posts in this topic

They do suck no matter that you say and the millions of tin eared morons who use them

According to you, for me and millions of others they're perfectly fine.

For you and millions of others, Star Wars music is nothing but the main theme and the Imperial March over and over again! ;)

Most people don't really care about sound. They care more about mobility and looking good; hence the disappearance of Hi-Fi in people's homes.

That's why CD's will die out in a few years, because most people think Mp3's or AAC files sound just as good, and you don't have to keep them anywhere.

According to you, for me and millions of others they're perfectly fine.

For you and millions of others, Star Wars music is nothing but the main theme and the Imperial March over and over again! ;)

Therefore it must be true! ;)

If you think the apple earbuds are good sounding, then you need to clean out your ears after pulling your head out of your ass.

The Apple earbuds are "good enough" for many people, and are quite useful for many applications.

I bought a pair of moderately pricey Audio Technica ATH-M50 studio monitor headphones on the advice of Alexcremers here, and use them specifically for listening to music at work and for use at my computer or laptop when working, playing games, or listening to music. They are really quite nice, even though the strain relief spring pulled out and I never fixed it.

They are also quite large. I look like I belong in a record studio, or even out on the tarmac landing airplanes. They are not really portable. I would feel like a darn fool taking them with me to, say, the doctor's office or some other place that I would want to listen to my iPod while I wait.

I had a great pair of Koss earbuds with the squishy inserts and great bass response, but one cord broke inside and they became junk. I also developed a sore ear from using them for too long. For portability, I usually use some Sony individual over-the-ear clip type headphones. But I can certainly understand why some folks are happy with the Apple earbuds.

They're cheap.

They were "free" with the iPod.

They feel a special loyalty to Apple and don't want to mix and match parts.

They don't care about their music or can't hear the difference.

The only time I really listen to my iPod on the go anymore is when I'm running. So every couple of months I buy a cheap pair and wear them until they get worn out. I mostly listen to my iPod in the car through the stereo.

I use these headphones at home or on an airplane.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-V150-Monitor-Series-Headphones/dp/B000092YPR/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318820863&sr=8-1

I dont like wearing them for long periods of time because they kind of just sit on top of your ears and they can get uncomfortable.

They are also quite large. I look like I belong in a record studio, or even out on the tarmac landing airplanes. They are not really portable. I would feel like a darn fool taking them with me to, say, the doctor's office or some other place that I would want to listen to my iPod while I wait.

Who's the more foolish...the fool, or the fool whose music sounds like crap? ;)

One must choose whether it is better to drown out Judge Judy in the waiting room or not hear the intern call your name to actually see the doctor.

I had a great pair of Koss earbuds with the squishy inserts and great bass response, but one cord broke inside and they became junk. I also developed a sore ear from using them for too long. For portability, I usually use some Sony individual over-the-ear clip type headphones. But I can certainly understand why some folks are happy with the Apple earbuds.

My dad has a pair of the Koss earbuds that you mention. I used them as a temporary until I could get me another pair of V-Moda Octaves. Like you after a while my ears got sore if I wore them for too long.

As I said I will always recommend the V-Moda Octave earbuds. They are perfect, they come with very small ear fittings for those of us who don't have big openings in our ears. Plus they are really true noise cancellation earbuds. I listen to my music while I'm at the store and it completely drowns out everything around me. Well if I'm listening to an action oriented score. The V-Moda also comes with a splitter where you can plug two sets of earbuds into one device. I think that is pretty handy sometimes.

I usually just go to Radio Shack and buy one of those single-piece Y-splitters (not the cable type) to do the same thing.

I say usually because I used to have the bad habit of misplacing them. The last gizmo that I bought, I haven't lost.

All this talk of bashing iPod earbuds reminds of me of the classic Game Boy, which also came with a pair of cheap earbuds....and they were good enough for that too. Granted, 8-bit audio from 1989 is not on par with a 360 kbps orchestral opus on an iPod, but I digress.

Aurvana_Live-1.jpg

Creative Labs Aurvana Live

Apparently, these are like hidden gems. An incarnation of the famous Denon AH-D1001 which was actually designed or build by Fostex. They can be found quite cheap on the internet these days.

Alex

I'm sure they're good. But it's not something I would carry with me.

But it's nice and warm in there.

Yup. I tend to stay there quite a lot these days. ;)

Karol

It's more for listening to music at home, even though they are not that big. To be honest, I don't listen to music when I'm outside the house. Music is such a big part of my life that I sometimes need to get away from it and so I don't travel, bike or walk around while listening to music.

Alex

Yes, I definitely get music-overload sometimes. But sometimes it can be a real sanity saver as well.

EDIT: Gosh, now I want these headphones. Read some reviews and they're not expensive at all.

Karol

I don't travel, bike or walk around while listening to music.

I really resent the people who do. Ok, when I'm traveling as a passenger, I'll listen to headphones to immerse myself, but usually end up falling asleep on a bus ride, or trying to take photos out the window on an airplane. And when driving, I either have the radio on or my iPod plugged in.

But the people who wear headphones/earphones while jogging or biking...grrr. It's like they're in their own little world, oblivious to the rest of us. As a driver, this aggravates me. They should do a study of how many people are mauled by animals, hit by vehicles, or nailed by trains because they were listening to music and didn't hear death knock.

I really resent the people who do.

But the people who wear headphones/earphones while jogging or biking...grrr. It's like they're in their own little world, oblivious to the rest of us. As a driver, this aggravates me. They should do a study of how many people are mauled by animals, hit by vehicles, or nailed by trains because they were listening to music and didn't hear death knock.

u-phukin-suk__171.gif

You're European, you don't count. I don't have a shot of hitting you with my car. You give me the finger again, and I'll take that shot.

Yesterday I almost crashed my bike into another biker because she was completely in her own world while listening to music. It reminded me of Wojo's rant about folks wearing headphones in traffic.

Alex

Wearing headphones while driving is illegal. Wearing headphones while biking or running on the open road or a trail should be as well. Wanna jog on a track or treadmill? Go right ahead.

Or...they just make it open season on people who wear headphones jogging or biking. Wanna listen? It's fine. But you're fair game if I drive into you. I'll start putting stickers right below the side mirror for the number of confirmed kills I score.

Nah. The flip side is that it beats the hell out of my car, and the dings are expensive to get touched up.

Pedestrians in my country are fully protected by law against the scourge of the motor car.

That's because you live in teensy ittle bitty country that anyone with enough time on their hands could walk from one end of the other to without having to drive.

Here, we drive to protect ourselves from the lions, tigers, and bears escaping from everyone's local menagerie.

Thats great, beat up on the weak countrirs. Ill have you know we used to rule the oceans!

If that were the case, there'd never be traffic.

Well, there is but they're no locals. The rest are cabs and people delivering stuff.

Anyone has the Seinheiser HD 558? I can get a good deal on them