The Official Debbie Wiseman Thread!

BLUMENKOHL

Up to yesterday I had only one score from her, Arsene Lupin which is a 5-star ride from start to finish.  Yesterday I picked up Middletown, and I'm once again blown away.  It's beautiful, with some great gothic touches.  Now I'm seriously looking into getting more scores by this...seemingly sadly overlooked composer...

Any suggestions?

And what do you all think of her/her work?  

I've only heard Arsene Lupin, which is indeed an excellent score. Unfortunately, I do not know any of her other work. I should probably be a little more proactive about searching for her other scores considering how much I enjoy and appreciate Arsene Lupin.

Tim, who is now seeking out Middletown wink.gif

I just listened to her score for Wilde, and thought it was great, but a bit repetative. It's sounds very "classical" too. I'll have to give it another shot eventually. Check it out if you get the chance.

Tim

• 1 year later...

I went to a very nice concert of Debbie Wiseman's film and TV music at the Cadogan Hall in London yesterday. She was conducting the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, a slightly smaller ensemble of 60 players on this occasion, but just right for the venue (which is a deconsecrated Methodist church). I will certainly check out more of her music, as she seemed like a top lass too! The highlights for me were probably 'Wilde' and 'Arsene Lupin', but she clearly has a good rapport with the RPO that shone through in the other pieces too. Still images from the various movies and TV shows were projected onto a big screen above the orchestra - not too many to be distracting, but enough to give a flavour of the music's original purpose.

She graciously signed CDs and programmes for the hoi polloi afterwards and it was nice to get the chance to meet her briefly in addition to getting my Debbie Wiseman compilation CD and programme autographed. By the way, Maureen Lipman is obviously a fan too (British members will know who she is); I spotted her chewing the fat with her companion outside the loos during the interval!

• 6 years later...

Right on.

I just listened to her score for Wilde, and thought it was great, but a bit repetative. It's sounds very "classical" too. I'll have to give it another shot eventually.

Never did get around to it. Better late than never!

Another composer to whose discography I have to delve deeper. I think have heard 3 or 4 scores from her.

• 1 year later...

Last Thursday I went to a lovely concert of Debbie Wiseman's film and TV music at Milton Court given by the Guildhall Chamber Orchestra, with the composer conducting.  The orchestra consisted entirely of music students from the Guildhall School of Music and Drama and I can honestly say that a blind man would have thought he was listening to a professional orchestra.  The young musicians in the orchestra are so talented, it made me feel quite ashamed of my scratchings on the violin.

The highlights included a four-movement suite from Arsene Lupin, Wilde, Haunted as well as suites from TV programmes such as Father Brown (one of my mum's favourites!) and Wolf Hall.  In the latter the orchestra's cor anglais player Sian Robinson came to the front of the orchestra to play the solo with great aplomb that belied her age.  It was my first visit to the new Milton Court, part of the Barbican complex attached to the Guildhall School - a visit is highly recommended if you are in London and you get the chance.

Here are a couple of pictures of the rehearsal pilfered from the Guildhall's Facebook page:

12493544_10153406488346365_3172328038143

12466023_10153406488261365_6177795587156

18 hours ago, Matt C said:

Did you get to meet Wiseman? She seems like such a lovely person to talk to.

I did not hang around afterwards Matt, but I have met her before (see my post above from 2008 - was it that long ago?!) and she is indeed very personable.  I also heard a couple of the musicians talking highly of her in the interval.  Wiseman is an alumna of the Guildhall School and spoke from the podium to introduce most of the selections, usually with an interesting anecdote or two.  She mentioned studying under the late Buxton Orr (who scored the wonderfully silly Fiend Without A Face) and recounted how in rehearsals the boys in the orchestra were distracted by the images from Lesbian Vampire Killers being projected onto the screen behind them, apologising if the performance sounded under-rehearsed as a result (it didn't, of course).

Incidentally, the concert was being recorded for a planned CD release later in the year, so keep your eye out for that!  The programme was as follows:

Wilde - Wilde West (which was also played as the encore)

Tom's Midnight Garden

Wilde

Wolf Hall

The Truth About Love

Flood

Lesbian Vampire Killers

INTERVAL

A Poet in New York

Father Brown

Haunted

The Whale

Arsene Lupin - Suite

Jubilee Gigue

The last piece was a concert premiere, written for the Thames Pageant celebrating the Queen's Diamond Jubilee in 2012.

4 hours ago, Omen II said:

and recounted how in rehearsals the boys in the orchestra were distracted by the images from Lesbian Vampire Killers being projected onto the screen behind them, apologising if the performance sounded under-rehearsed as a result (it didn't, of course).

That's hilarious!  Excellent score, by the way.

• 1 year later...
On 18/01/2016 at 8:18 PM, Omen II said:

Incidentally, the concert was being recorded for a planned CD release later in the year, so keep your eye out for that!  The programme was as follows:

Wilde - Wilde West (which was also played as the encore)

Tom's Midnight Garden

Wilde

Wolf Hall

The Truth About Love

Flood

Lesbian Vampire Killers

INTERVAL

A Poet in New York

Father Brown

Haunted

The Whale

Arsene Lupin - Suite

Jubilee Gigue

The last piece was a concert premiere, written for the Thames Pageant celebrating the Queen's Diamond Jubilee in 2012.

Apologies for quoting myself, but the live recording of this concert will be available to buy digitally from Silva Screen Records later this month.

http://www.silvascreen.com/debbie-wiseman-in-concert/

• 6 months later...