James Newton Howard thread

nightscape94

2 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

Not sure what you're asking me.

You're saying that he wouldn't be inspired by an action blockbuster like Tomb Raider, but I recall you saying Fantastic Beasts was the perfect material to inspire him. 

6 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Great track. One of his best.

Really adore this tune.  It's a cheapo way of looking at it, but you could sing the track title along with it!  Interesting to think if JNH was trying to put that line into musical terms, literally.

11 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

You're saying that he wouldn't be inspired by an action blockbuster like Tomb Raider, but I recall you saying Fantastic Beasts was the perfect material to inspire him. 

Yes. How is fantastic Beasts anything like Tom Raider? Fantastic Beasts follows Potter's style, which had a rich musical background, full of themes and melodies and colours, and are big fantasy scores, which is perfect for JNH because some of his best stuff is in big fantasy films. Tomb Raider is clearly going to be a very serious and edgy action film. The film-makers clearly don't want big magical fantasy themes and rich textural melodies like Fantastic Beasts, otherwise they wouldn't hire Mr. Mindless Action Man aka Junkie XL.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-6-2 at 6:44 PM, leeallen01 said:

This is absolutely fantastic. A 90 minute talk with JNH that really goes in-depth. He really dives deep into his scoring process for Fantastic Beasts, and plays a lot of his themes on keyboard and shows how he settled on certain themes etc. He talks about so many great behind the scenes stories about his career, and many of which he's never spoken about before.

Is there still any way to watch that video? It's showing as not available for me.

I've been wanting to watch it for quite some time now, but only now managed to find a bit of time for it...

• 2 weeks later...

JNH is nominated for an Emmy for Outstanding Music Composition for 'A Series of Unfortunate Events.'

Has anyone heard that score? Because I can't find any of his music for the series anywhere and am curious to hear something from it.

• 1 month later...

Yep, I saw it! In the middle of the interview, the host asked JNH if he could close his eyes and recognize some of his own tunes (the people got to see the movie clips so it was easy for the viewers). It was no problem for JNH, even though he wrote about a 130 scores. Then he performed a song at the piano together with a local singer. 

Alex 

• 1 month later...

James Newton Howard's concert this evening was incredible - one of the best film music concerts I have been to.  He said that he first became interested in film music after watching Raiders of the Lost Ark.  Hans Zimmer was in the audience too.

The young orchestra from the Royal Academy of Music was brilliant, better than many professional orchestras I have seen this year.

DSC02442.JPG

DSC02443.JPG

DSC02447.JPG

DSC02453.JPG

40 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Any chance you could share what they played form Fantastic Beasts? I suppose no Nanny McPhee?

The concert opened with Main Titles and finished with a suite including Inside the Case, You're One of Us Now, The Occamy and Newt Releases the Thunderbird.  I am going from the programme so if anyone has any corrections, that would be great.  The first half of the concert featured music from Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, Snow White and the Huntsman, The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2, The Hunger Games, Peter Pan, Signs, The Sixth Sense, The Last Airbender and Wyatt Earp.  The first half encore was The Hanging Tree sung by James Newton Howard's daughter Anouk Ackerman.

The second half featured Dinosaur, King Kong, Dave, Pretty Woman, My Best Friend's Wedding, Snow Falling on Cedars, The Village, Blood Diamond, The Dark Knight and Fantastic Beasts.  There was also an amusing animated sequence of the young composer meeting Elton John for the first time, followed by a solo piece that the composer wrote in the early 1970s, The Limitless Possibilities of Life.  There were two fantastic encores too: Maleficent and The Prince of Tides.

Yesterday reminded me how good a composer James Newton Howard is for romantic comedies.  The suite that included Dave, Pretty Woman and My Best Friend's Wedding was an unexpected highlight of the second half.  I am an old softy sometimes.

This recent video is not from yesterday (it looks like the Czech National Symphony Orchestra) but features the lovely He Sleeps from the Julia Roberts / Richard Gere movie.  If anything the solo piano version is even lovelier.

9 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

With Glass in post-production while Howard is on tour, I fear he may not be returning. 

9 hours ago, publicist said:

Isn't that supposed to come out in 2019?

8 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

IMDB says it's filming. I don't see why JNH wouldn't be returning.

JNH is returning for Glass. A friend and I asked him at a talk he did in London. He said that he liked what West Dylan Thordson did with Split and so Thordson will be doing Glass, but JNH's exact words were; "I'm not sure how much I'll be contributing, but I'll be doing something."

Obviously Shymalayan has moved on ('Split' was a sizeable hit that should have allowed him the budget to hire JNH) which is a shame. 'Unbreakable' was/is a great score to build on.

It was a good year for me as a film music fan. I have seen John Williams, Ennio Morricone, Michael Giacchino and ending with a marvelous concert of James Newton Howard in Amsterdam!  

1.jpg

2..jpg

3.jpg

4..jpg

5.jpg

Here is a new video interview with James Newton Howard.  I am guessing it might have been filmed on 9th October before or after his BAFTA Conversations with Screen Composers talk at the Royal Albert Hall, as he is wearing the same jumper.

20 hours ago, Bajak said:

Was it that you got lucky or is there some "official" chance to take a photo with JNH and to get the autograph (just VIPs perhaps?)?

No special meet and greet moment. I went outside to the artist entrance/exit. After 30 minutes he came out and I got my picture and autograph. Everything was relaxed and James took his time for everybody. The opposite of what happened with John Williams in Boston.

6 minutes ago, JTGL said:

No special meet and greet moment. I went outside to the artist entrance/exit. After 30 minutes he came out and I got my picture and autograph. Everything was relaxed and James took his time for everybody. The opposite of what happened with John Williams in Boston.

In paris, I waited about 10 minutes, but when I saw more and more people were gathering at the artist exit I thought I would just leave. The evening was great as is.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

https://www.kusc.org/radio/programs/evening-program-james-newton-howard-violin-concert/?fbclid=IwAR37EzI99o39rIThPOMHNaKCIbJb9wtjY-KElv0Wv4Ve0cPjzXqUX7cIcys

https://www.kusc.org/radio/how-to-listen/?fbclid=IwAR25j3kRkhySJKAF4hzAPS72AS_9ECS0XJgiXaFPRgnDp7uh2dWjDvqcg2g

I wonder if this is the same violin concerto that was written a few years ago and released officially a few months ago or if it is indeed a new one, like the article says.

• 1 year later...