James Newton Howard thread

nightscape94

I saw the original WOTW didnt think it was the best scifi Id ever seen. I do agree with the idea that he was repeating the raptors in the kitchen scene from Jurassic Park.

Of course. :)

I...seriously think...that...in the movie called War of the Worlds...Spielberg was using his basement scene...to pay homage to the basement scene in the original War of the Worlds. Of course I'm an idiot...so take that with a grain of salt

Not to change the subject from Lady in the Water, but I was going through my JNH collection recently and came across so many truly unique gems within individual scores. I remembered them all when I heard them, since I know many of his scores very well, but sometimes they can sneak up on you because many of them aren't thematic, just great moments. For example, the montage track in Hidalgo is superb. Around the three minute mark, the music goes into a melody so uniquely different but so fantastic, it's very hard to describe. His scores are littered with moments like these.

Ted

A couple minutes into The Raptors/Herd Track (track 7?) in Dinosaur is another one of those...make your hair stand end on moments. Tarawa from Snow Falling on Cedars...etc. etc.

At his best...he's amazing.

At his best, he can make me literally hold my breath with beauty. A few examples are:

Swimming (second half) and Dry Land (particularly the viola solo) from Waterworld

Virtually any track at all from Snow Falling on Cedars (you may tell from my avatar that I'm worshipping that score at the moment)

The Egg Travels from Dinosaur

Most of Hidalgo (but particularly Let 'er Buck, 2nd half of The Last Push and Montage)

Central Park and pretty much the entire five-act finale from King Kong

Home From the War and Railroad from Wyatt Earp

And only in the last day or so, The Great Eatlon (my current official fave JNH cue), The Blue World and End Titles from Lady in the Water

Central Park is the most played track on my iTunes library, which is no surprise considering that it's one of the best pieces of music I've ever heard, and it strikes to the core of the scene so perfectly. Also, when I first heard the great Eatlon, I had one of the biggest emotional rushes I can remember from a piece of music from 3:33 till the end of the cue. It really is amazing how his music can provoke such a reaction in me. Only Williams, Goldsmith, and occassionally Elfman have done that for me in the past.

Ted

I actually still don't have Wyatt Earp since it's so hard to find. I have five tracks from it I think, but I'm dying to hear the rest.

Ted

I have the original CD, so give me a day or so and I'll fix that.

Oh, and since whenever I had to reinstall Winamp a while ago, my top played track (37 plays) is Digging Montage from The Chumbscrubber. However, Central Park was damn close before the list reset - it blew me away on first listen and still does, especially when resampled to play slower :D

5 more plays for The Great Eatlon and it's my 5th most played. It's definitely on my oscar nomination list, and it should have one less worthy competitor.

I was able to listen to some music at work today, so I brough along Lady in the Wate (shame the movie is getting horid reviews, I was really hopeful about this one). I listened to it 3 times in a row, and other then Kong, I think this is one of his more thematically driven scores, as was previously mentioned, and I certainly agree about how wonderful "The Great Eatlon" track is. Here's hoping we get an Academy Promo with the complete music :|

Tim

James-Newton-Howard.com has a link to a series of articles by Variety about JNH, his various collaborations, etc. Nothing too mind-blowing, but it's interesting to read and gives a sense of the great respsect and admiration Howard's achieved in the industry.

Ray Barnsbury

• 5 months later...

So I'm getting into James Newton Howard. What of his scores do you recommend? I've heard Signs, The Village, and Lady in the Water, and I liked Unbreakable in the film. All of those scores impressed me a great deal, and I'm wondering what else there is by this composer that is worth listening to.

Seth

Good list. I'd also add The Man in the Moon, which is a lovely, nostalgic score. The Prince of Tides is also quite beautiful and sweeping, and Waterworld has some great action music throughout.

Ray Barnsbury

According to James Newton Howard expert Emile Brinkman, Howard was hired just recently by director Jay Russell to score the fantasy adventure The Waterhorse which will open mid September 2007. This is what emile had to say about it:

I got an official confirmation. Seems like a super project! An adventure fantasy film seems very promising for James. He is a master at it.

And we all know that if James scores films with "water" in it we can expect something remarkable

Plot: A lonely boy discovers a mysterious egg that hatches a sea creature of Scottish legend.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0760329/

Restoration is a must when talking about JNH. Probably the best soundtrack album he has produced. It is a mix of his score and classical pieces by Purcell, and it is one hell of an album. The classical material is good, but Howard's material is sterling, including his famous love theme (which interpolates a Purcell piece), his positively thrilling main titles, several tragic and romantic cues...as I said, a must when talking about JNH. IMO, Restoration and his 3 middle Shyamlan score (meaning minus Sixth Sense and Lady in the Water) are his very best work.

Anyone who half knows me knows JNH is someone I can and have waxed lyrical about LOL.

I'd love to see him do a big fantasy movie, that Waterhorse project sounds perfect for him.

If anyone has mentioned it yet, Alive is yet another beautiful score by him. The themes are gorgeous and tender, just a lovely piece of work.

Speaking of fantasy, I still love, love Peter Pan, that "Flying" cue with the 80s synth alawys puts a smile on my face and of course, there's the sublime "Fairy Dance". (There's some great unreleased music left of that CD though.) :D

He's so, so versatile, I think there's a score in almost every genre that I've liked by him.

His Shyamalan scores can be close to masterpieces - Signs, when you take it apart, is really brilliant with what he did with the motif and SO effective ("Main Titles" and Hand of Fate I and II" rock), and the Sixth Sense (complete) has some transcendant moments. as well. And Unbreakable, great score to fit a great movie - I love the solo trumpet in that, the mix with electronics and the mood he sets. LitW I am still digesting, I haven't had it long (or seen the movie) but I'd say "The Great Eatlon" may rank up there with the best cues he's ever written. But The Village holds a special place for me out of his M Night scores, the movie was just okay (however excellent acting) but the score is still, simply SUBLIME. Hilary Hahn's angelic playing, and the way he wrote for her worked so perfectly in tandem.

Yep, one of my very favorite composers along with JW and Goldsmith. :mrgreen:

Greta, you're a JNH fan??! Stop the presses!! :mrgreen:

Regarding The Waterhorse, I actually came across the film on IMDB recently, and assumed William Ross would be doing the score since it's directed by Russell (they collaborated on My Dog Skip, Tuck Everlasting, and Ladder 49 , with the first two in particular yielding lovely scores). I was hoping Ross would really get a chance to spread his wings with this, but now it's exciting to hear that JNH will be doing it. Sounds like the absolute epitome of the kind of film for which he'd produce just the kind of score I love.

Ray Barnsbury

Looks a pretty interesting project to be part of, JNH's assignments just get better and better :mrgreen:

Regarding his best scores, I think most have already been mentioned. I will however, second Snow Falling on Cedars, which I consider his best score. It's really hard to describe this music, but it's unlike most scores out there.

Thanks for the heads up about The Waterhorse. It seems that JNH is in a great niche or groove for a while, and his orchestral power has been top notch the last few years. I'm looking forward to the score and album, but it doesn't sound like a movie I would see in the theaters, unless I go by myself, because I doubt anyone I know would want to accompany me to a movie of this sort.

Regardless, I'll keep watch for this one later this year!

Tim

Howard was hired just recently by director Jay Russell

I would rather say that Howard was hired by one of the producers... Such is life in Hollywood.

Not that Howard will do a bad job. He will do an *amazing* job. But he wasn't Russell's original choice.

Hellgi

Are you an "insider?" Or are you assuming that Russell would've have choden William Ross, as in the past? That's something I'm curious about.

Ray Barnsbury - who wonders where Ross has been :rolleyes:

The movie is over budget and Russell had to do get more producers on board. It seems one of them wanted JNH, and it was hard to say no. Plus, JNH is a great composer, so it's not like it was the worst dilemna.

Hellgi

ps. Ross is alive and well... he has been working on other things that film scores per say, but you'll hear about him soon... he's currently working on something pretty big (can't say what yet though).

Well, this is what Russell has to say about it on his myspace page:

Just a brief note to tell you how excited I am that I just signed James Newton Howard on to compose the score for "The Waterhorse." I loved his scores for "The Sixth Sense" and "Signs." I thought both pieces had a wonderful combination of tension and mysticism. Not the easiest musical feat to accomplish.

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...c5-7db8ed0f7764

Well, this is what Russell has to say about it on his myspace page:
Just a brief note to tell you how excited I am that I just signed James Newton Howard on to compose the score for "The Waterhorse." I loved his scores for "The Sixth Sense" and "Signs." I thought both pieces had a wonderful combination of tension and mysticism. Not the easiest musical feat to accomplish.

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...c5-7db8ed0f7764

Well, he's probably exited to be working with JNH. I mean, it's JNH we're talking about. It's not like someone forced him to work with [put-the-name-of-your-least-favorite-composer-here].

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone heard his recent score for Blood Diamond???

I have. I thought it was a pretty decent score. I really like how the percussions was rhythmically composed especially the action cues...

I listened to what was uploaded to the Cinematic Sounds program, but I wasn't all that interested in what I heard. Perhaps it was because it was 2am and I was exhausted. I'll give it another go later this evening.

Tim

Wouldn't you think rhythmic percussion would be sort of a given?

- Marc, who hasn't heard it, but liked some of the clips on the FSM podcast.

Yes I think so. But it isn't bad though. Anyway out of curiosity is there a James Newton Howard official fan site because I haven't found one by googling it?

Yeah I saw that. But I'm more likely looking for a fan community website with a forum like this John Williams one here but apparently there isn't one which I'm quite surprise.

• 3 months later...

I was just reading Jay Russell's (director of the upcoming The Water Horse) MySpace blog and found some exciting comments on JNH's score for the film:

This blog is coming to you from the Air New Zealand international lounge in Auckland, NZed.

I have some good news, but I also have some frustrating news, as well.

The good news is - I'm on my way to London to record what I'm confident will be an award winning score written by James Newton Howard. I have heard it all now and it is certainly some of his best work, better than I could have ever imagined.

We'll be recording over the next two weeks at Abbey Road with the London Symphony Orchestra and with special guest artists(this is very exciting)The Chieftains.

At the same time up in Dublin, we will be recording the closing credit song, written and performed by Sinead O' Connor. The track is being produced by Daniel Lanois, one of my favorites. He has such a distinctive sound and point of view. (U2 and Bob Dylan never sounded better.)

To have beautiful music written and performed for your film is the reward for all of the hard work for a director. It causes one to forget the pain of the process.

and:

James Newton Howard's score absolutely soared in Studio 1 at Abbey Road. The sound in that room is historic (if only the walls could talk) and James' brilliant music added to the resonating tones still echoing from all those years ago.

While the score is epic in size and scope, it also finds a way to become intimate and allows for an organic small celtic ensemble to fit right in.

As it turns out, our small celtic ensemble just happened to be The Chieftains. Let me tell you, Paddy and the boys (and girl, Trina on the celtic harp) can still rock the house and it was one of the special moments in my life and career to meet them and listen to their unique and amazing sound.

Meanwhile, up in Dublin, Daniel Lanois recorded a beautiful version of our closing song, written and performed by Sinead O'Connor. Speaking of an amazing sound... Her voice still carries the power and emotion which has made her an artist recognized around the world.

And if that wasn't enough, James called in a friend to record percussion tracks for us. The friend turned out to be the one and only Ray Cooper. For those of you who might have seen him perform over the years with Elton John, Clapton and others, you know that he is just as much fun to watch as he is to hear.

Sounds terrific (not that Russell is exactly an objective source, but still...)! I'm definitely anticipating this score more than any other this year...too bad we have to wait until December.

Ray Barnsbry

Isn't this a bit early to be recording a December score?

Morlock- who was not looking forward to this score more than any other JNH score (all of which I wait for), but is now (even though he takes a director's take with a grain of salt)

I was just reading Jay Russell's (director of the upcoming The Water Horse) MySpace blog and found some exciting comments on JNH's score for the film:
but I also have some frustrating news, as well.

, we will be recording the closing credit song, written and performed by Sinead O' Connor.

Is that the frustrating news?

Ah the second greatest living composer has something coming! I'm excited!

My thoughts exactly!

Is that the frustrating news?

Haha, I think he was referring to the trailer not being finished in time to run with Spider-Man 3. But is Sinead O' Connor frustrating news too (photo-tearing incidents aside)?

Ray Barnsbury

:baaa:

Any overated singer writing a song to be played over the end credits is frustrating to me.

What happened to that proudly touted ability to block out bad music?   ;)

Howard has been on the up and up the last 10 years, it seems. He keeps getting better at the craft. I'm very interested to hear this one!

Tim

:baaa:

Any overated singer writing a song to be played over the end credits is frustrating to me.

What happened to that proudly touted ability to block out bad music?   ;)

That means we don't get a nice end credit suite.

Also, if anyone saw the new Golden Compass trailer, they used Howards music from Lady in the Water.

They also chose to open the teaser with Holst's "Mars, bringer of war" which is used in about 5,001 trailers.

Tim

Cool, I'll have to check out that trailer.

That means we don't get a nice end credit suite.

Sadly (and to me, inexplicably), Howard rarely writes full end credits suites anyhow. It sounds as though the song will have appropriately Celtic overtones though, so I suppose it could turn out all right. I do like the use of Enya's "Book of Days," in Far and Away, incidentally.

Ray Barnsbury

• 1 month later...

I had my review/analysis of The Village published at Filmtracks, and wanted to share the link with you guys:

http://www.filmtracks.com/titles/village.html

I tried to add some analysis stuff without getting too technical, hope you enjoy! :)

Also, this weekend, and last, there was a fantastic 2-part interview with JNH broadcast on the LA classical radio station KUSC, the host sits down with him and plays cues from various scores as he discusses his experience working on them and other experiences as a film composer. You could tell the host (Jim Svedja) is pretty in awe of his work and it's a beautifully done interview.

I recorded both parts (1 hr each) and am finishing editing and uploading them, PM if interested.

Highly recommended for any JNH fan. He said PJ Hogan were going to work together again in the near future. when they talked about Peter Pan....it's just a fascinating interview, maybe the most at length I've heard him speak about on so many different scores. Also he talks in depth about King Kong and Lady in the Water too! ;D

• 3 months later...
A theme as well!

I don't know if it will be integrated into the score, but the theme track ("Back Where You Belong") is actually just a song by Sinead O'Connor.

Ray Barnsbury