Has anyone here heard 'Storia Di Una Donna' (1970)?

Sandor

Thor, have you tried to contact the uploader from the YouTube selection..? That guy must have *something*....

Oh, and thanks BIG TIME to you and filmmusic for your continuing efforts to uncover all things John Williams..!

Thor, have you tried to contact the uploader from the YouTube selection..? That guy must have *something*....

The Youtube uploader of the music/sound clip does not have the film, unfortunately (he says he received it from someone else and does not know the source). But there's another one in the comments field that says she has. I've tried to talk to her MANY times! She continually says she's going to upload it when she's ready, but nothing ever happens. Which leads me to think she either doesn't want to share it or she doesn't have it at all. I can't believe someone would procrastinate for that long....

• 1 month later...

Holy crap! At long last....I have to hurry up and download it before it's removed.

I don't care about the shoddy quality -- it's the LAST film in Williams' filmography that I haven't seen.

Thanks for the heads-up, K.

It says in the description

The unfortunate thing is the TV station cut the first part of
the movie.
The missing scenes starts out with Karin rear
ending Bruno's car, and them falling in love. A memorable
scene is also cut out with them dancing to Ornella Vanoni song,
"Uno Di Qua L'Altro Di La". Parts of these missing opening
scenes are shown as flash backs during the train scene.

Though I don't understand. Does he mean the part before the opening credits, or after the opening credits?

Imdb lists this movie with a duration of 90 minutes, and this is 93!

By the way, can anyone identify the classical piece in the opening credits?

Or maybe it's a source piece by Williams?

It says in the description

The unfortunate thing is the TV station cut the first part of

the movie. The missing scenes starts out with Karin rear

ending Bruno's car, and them falling in love. A memorable

scene is also cut out with them dancing to Ornella Vanoni song,

"Uno Di Qua L'Altro Di La". Parts of these missing opening

scenes are shown as flash backs during the train scene.

Though I don't understand. Does he mean the part before the opening credits, or after the opening credits?

Imdb lists this movie with a duration of 90 minutes, and this is 93!

By the way, can anyone identify the classical piece in the opening credits?

Or maybe it's a source piece by Williams?

No, it's a classical piece because I've heard it before. I just can't remember it now. Need to think.

Those comments about missing scenes don't make sense. Ok, maybe a prologue is missing since it starts right off with the film's title. Haven't seen more than the opening yet. Will do so tomorrow.

No, it's a classical piece because I've heard it before. I just can't remember it now. Need to think.

Those comments about missing scenes don't make sense. Ok, maybe a prologue is missing since it starts right off with the film's title. Haven't seen more than the opening yet. Will do so tomorrow.

I'm just watching the film.

Yes, it seems it's the prologue before the opening credits..

I have heard 4-5 Williams cues till now..

My comments in an hour or so...

about the classical piece: Maybe Ludwig could help. :)

Finished the movie!!

First of all:

tried to match the cues from the suite with the cues from the film.

The only part of the suite that isn't in the film, is the first 2 minutes, so I guess they are from the cut opening scenes.

Next:

Wow! I think, this qualifies to be among the greatest pre-Jaws scores of Williams!

And maybe one of the most European ones!

The music would benefit from a re-recording and I hope someone does it soon..

The last 2 cues are the highlights of the score (though unfortunately we can't listen to the last one complete)

As for the film.. well, a typical melodrama with quite weak dialogue I'd say..

Finally: Couldn't still believe that i was watching it.. After all those years of search... I feel empty now! :mrgreen:

well, not exactly. Now I'm looking forward to a glorious Bluray with eye-popping colors and correct aspect ratio, and an isolated score of course!! :mrgreen:

Starting to think that it may be Williams.

It is used 2 more times in the film, and at those times it's a complete cue with a soft ending, ending with the 2nd theme. (so, it can't be an extract from a piano concerto as it seems)

(unless, it's adapted from a concerto)

Bob DiMucci at FSM made a cue list after watching the film:

(Beware of possible SPOILERS)

Score Cues
2:47 – Main Title
2:36 – Bruno Implores Karin
2:37 – Karin’s Reverie
1:03 – Karin In Sweden – Winter
1:15 – Karin In Sweden – Summer
2:23 – Karin Meets David
0:24 – Karin / Bruno Flashback I
0:12 – Karin / Bruno Flashback II
0:40 – Karin and David Go Boating
1:17 – Karin and David Talk
0:39 – In Washington DC
0:40 – Arriving In Rome
0:45 – Karin Goes to the Music Conservatory
1:02 – Karin Tells David of Bruno’s Visit
0:37 – Karin Dreams of Bruno
0:31 – Uno di qua, l'altra di la (vocal)
0:37 – Bruno Arrives at Monte Carlo
3:03 – Karin Comforts Her Daughter / Karin Talks With Bruno
2:57 – Bruno Walks Karin Home
0:20 – Morning
0:58 – Bruno Is Hurt
0:42 – Sunset Walk On Beach
1:23 – Bruno Recounts Car Accident
0:46 – Bruno Confronts Karin
6:15 – Karin and Bruno at Cortina
1:20 – Karin and David Reunited / End Title
Total Time - 37:49 (26 tracks)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Source Music
1:03 – Karin Plays Piano I
0:39 – Accordion and Guitar Dance
0:50 – Accordion, Guitar, and Piano Trio
1:03 – Guitar Solo and Vocal
1:02 - Uno di qua, l'altra di la (vocal by Ornella Vanoni)
0:31 – Karin and David Marry
2:30 – Rome Party
0:25 – Piano Practice
0:34 – Karin Plays Piano II
Total Time – 8:37 (9 tracks)

By the way, here's the highlight of the score, a 6 minute cue near the end of the film, for anyone who would like to listen to, without searching in the film.
I tried to reduce the noise as much as possible (also used Bob DiMucci's title):

http://picosong.com/eEB2/

By the way, here's the highlight of the score, a 6 minute cue near the end of the film, for anyone who would like to listen to, without searching in the film.

I tried to reduce the noise as much as possible (also used Bob DiMucci's title):

I love this piece, instant favorite! :D

Thanks for the link, filmmusic. I've just watched the film and what a thrill it was to hear a 'new' Williams score from that period. The score certainly sounds to me more like 70s Williams than 60s Williams and apart from the fine music you have highlighted towards the end of the movie, I also very much enjoyed the cue for the flashback scene on the train near the beginning of the movie. It was also interesting to see the unusual credit of Music Score for John Williams at the beginning; the only other instance of that credit being used in a Williams scored movie that I can think of is Earthquake.

As a football fan I also enjoyed seeing the segment of the AS Roma v Juventus game from about the 45:00 minute mark. James Farentino is patently absolute gash at football, but it seems as if the long shots may have been taken at an actual game between the two sides. It is definitely the Stadio Olimpico as far as I can tell, while I am convinced that the manager glimpsed briefly at about 50:38 is the Roma manager Oronzo Pugliese (see picture below). I wonder if Roma fan Ennio Morricone was in the crowd that day? It would be quite something to have a film to which Mario Nascimbene, Ennio Morricone and John Williams all contributed!

Oronzo-Pugliese1a.jpg

The football scenes were among the most ridiculous I've seen -- like a group of one's friends playing in the local, muddy park. Didn't seem to be any footage from the real games, as far as I could tell, but maybe something in the total shots -- I didn't pay that much attention.

I could have understood this if it were an American director who had no clue about the game, but since it's an Italian, it's a bit more surprising.

Didn't seem to be any footage from the real games, as far as I could tell, but maybe something in the total shots -- I didn't pay that much attention.

I have to disagree with you there, Thor. I believe the close up shots of James Farentino have been intercut with footage from a real match between Roma and Juve at the Stadio Olimpico in Rome. Granted that the picture quality is very poor, but as well as the glimpse of Roma manager Oronzo Pugliese that I mentioned above, I reckon the goalkeeper seen in one shot is the Juventus keeper Roberto Anzolin.

Hey, Maurizio must know some diehard AS Roma fans who could confirm or deny?

Well, I did my best to nag James Fitzpatrick from Tadlow for a rerecording of STORIA in a thread over at FSM, to no avail. I was outvoiced by a huge crowd shouting for Rozsa's SODOM & GOMORRAH instead, and that seemed to be more up James' alley. The only response I got from him was a "well, if you want it, fess up 30.000 Euro for a recording!".

So that's off the table.

Who else do we know that deal with rerecordings these days? Tribute?

Well, I did my best to nag James Fitzpatrick from Tadlow for a rerecording of STORIA in a thread over at FSM, to no avail. I was outvoiced by a huge crowd shouting for Rozsa's SODOM & GOMORRAH instead, and that seemed to be more up James' alley. The only response I got from him was a "well, if you want it, fess up 30.000 Euro for a recording!".

So that's off the table.

Even if they had the money for the orchestra to do the re-recording, would it be easy to get the rights to use the sheet music located at universal library?

Would they have to pay more for it?

So that's off the table.

Even if they had the money for the orchestra to do the re-recording, would it be easy to get the rights to use the sheet music located at universal library?

Would they have to pay more for it?

Well, you're the one who know the cost for the sheet music, filmmusic. I have no clue what price they asked. From you, I got the impression that it was expensive for a private person, but not necessarily for a company or institution.

I think the cost for the musicians would be lower than the usual 'epic' fare they do (120-piece orchestra and huge choir), as it's a far more intimate score, but that sort of thing doesn't seem to be James' preference.

The football scenes were among the most ridiculous I've seen -- like a group of one's friends playing in the local, muddy park.

I think that's how football looked in old times, and pretty much any sport...

Its amazing how sports have delevoped and improved...

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know already whether the main titles sequence is accompanied by an original John Williams' piece or an existing classical work?

Does anyone know already whether the main titles sequence is accompanied by an original John Williams' piece or an existing classical work?

Most people agree by now, that it must be a Williams composed piece. Or anyway, not a classical piece.

Most people agree by now, that it must be a Williams composed piece. Or anyway, not a classical piece.

Ok thanks..! I really enjoy that piece. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Bob DiMucci at FSM made a cue list after watching the film:

Thanks much for posting this! One more little tiny piece of the puzzle. . . .

• 2 months later...

Well, it took 4 months for the video to be removed from youtube! :mrgreen:

Strange that Universal took actions to remove it (since it's a film nobody seems to care for, and while other films are complete in youtube)

Maybe they're preparing a DVD? :drool:

• 2 years later...

Finally confirmation from Tadlow that they will NEVER re-record this (over on FSM):

As many people know for Tadlow Music I only ever record scores I like or love....so sorry Jungle Book will never happen for Tadlow Music....but you never know what Prometheus might go for. As regards future plans I only intend on doing Ben-Hur and one other Jarre and one relatively small scores...snd then that is it for Tadlow Music...unless as I always say someone would like to put lots of dosh into my bank account so that I can record anything youy like. But just so you know defintely will NOT be doing Black Patch, The Chairman, In Harm's Way, Story of a Woman, Anne of the Indies....

So....who do we nag next (the three of us who want to see this released)?

49 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

A release of the original recording is more likely, imho. Let's hope the tapes will show up some day.

No, I seriously doubt the original recording exists anywhere for this extremely obscure movie. A re-recording is its only hope.

I would certainly contribute up to $50 for a Kickstarter campaign (and as someone who's basically broke, that's a lot of money), should one ever get off the ground. But I have no idea how much a re-recording like this costs. $50.000? $100.000? More?

I'm guessing it's no more or less expensive than other re-recordings, but I'm just very curious about the cost involved in such projects. I doubt that James or other people from Tadlow are going to devulge that information, though.

Well considering Tadlows releases are usually between €20 and €30 and since they cater to a niche market which usually sells in the thousands rather than tens of thousands we may speculate a figure.

However it seems Tadlow, while a creative success certainly wasn't making any money. 

It's a pity their one crowdfunding effort didn't work out. Who knows what it might have led to.

Am I missing something? It's just that I just went on YouTube and heard a suite of music from the film...all 6 minutes and 17 seconds of it.

I fear that that's all we'll ever hear.

(edit) I've just heard another suite. 10 minutes, this time!

1 hour ago, Richard said:

Am I missing something? It's just that I just went on YouTube and heard a suite of music from the film...all 6 minutes and 17 seconds of it.

I fear that that's all we'll ever hear.

(edit) I've just heard another suite. 10 minutes, this time!

Yeah, there are bits and pieces on Youtube, mostly crappy-sounding audio rips (done by FSM member zooba and others). The 6 minutes "suite" is not really that, but a cheesy montage sequence at the winter sports arena of Cortina (I might misremember the arena). But there are very few sound effects, and no dialogue, so the music is allowed to carry everything on its own. And it's a glorious piece!

The James Bond-ian theme song "Uno di Qua, L'altra di La" as performed by Ornella Varnoni should also be there somewhere.

About a year or two ago, the whole film (sans prologue) was available on Youtube for a short while -- albeit in crappy quality, but it was taken down. I was quick enough to download it while it was on, thank God.

Indeed. Very classical, but then we know Williams is able to write pastiche which sounds almost identical to that which it tries to pastiche (like the negro spiritual "Look Down Lord" or the Händel-like "Exultate Justi!").

16 hours ago, filmmusic said:

Was this ever confirmed by someone?

I don't have confirmation, but everything points to an original piece by Williams. It's obviously written in the style of a Mozart/18th century "allegro" piano concerto, but Williams did many times these kind of classical repertoire send-offs.