Williams wins 2 Grammys

Dole

Don't know if this has already been announced here but Williams won the Grammy for Memoirs of a Geisha and for "A Prayer for Peace" from Munich

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They already gave the awards out earlier today or maybe yesterday.

I found it on their website, all the classical, jazz and movie results are there already.

Best Score Soundtrack Album - Memoirs of a Geisha

Best Instrumental Composition - "A Prayer for Peace" from Munich

Yay!! :rolleyes:

He did?The Grammys are just starting...

K.M.Who can watch something else then unless JW is there to pick up the awards

There are like a million different categories at the Grammys. They only give a few out during the televised show. I think over 90 awards are given out at the pre-show before the television coverage even starts. Anyway, the film music categories are given out at the pre-show and Williams won for Best Original Score Soundtrack for Memoirs and Best Instrumental Composition for "Prayer for Peace." The winners that have already been announced are listed at www.grammy.com

Congratulations!!!! That makes a total of 21 Grammys, right?

I remember when John won Grammys for his really good stuff,

Yes, don't need to bring your memory back in time. It was today, and he won for 2 magnificent works.

Congratulations!!!! That makes a total of 21 Grammys, right?
I remember when John won Grammys for his really good stuff,

Yes, don't need to bring your memory back in time. It was today, and he won for 2 magnificent works.

not magnificent, passable is a better word. in the hierarchy of Williams works these are no where near the top

not magnificent, passable is a better word. in the hierarchy of Williams works these are no where near the top

They're in the top, don't mislead yourself.

no, they pale compared to ET, or Empire of the Sun, Star Wars, or even HP.

Not likely. And if they do, I don't think it'll be anything interesting.

-Ross, who has trouble understanding this thread - it's hard to hear over Joe's incessantly beating his own dead horse.

Oh don't get me wrong I think Geisha is a fine score, I don't think that about Munich which is a waste.

Mark, sometimes they show a still shot of the pre-show winners before the real show's commercial break. I am not watching the show this year, so I don't know if they will do that fo JW, who surely has nothing better to do than show up and accept both awards (unless he's working on some unannounced score!).

This totally makes up for last year's tragedy. I hope JW gave the middle finger to Gustavo.

Kidding. Congratulations, John! I hope this is a satisfying belated 75th brithday present.

I knew he'd win for "A Prayer for Peace." Looking at the other nominees (even "Sayuri's Theme") I knew that was the class of the field. Winning the soundtrack award was a big shock when I read it.

And don't diss the Grammys. At least those people know music. The Academy members are mostly actors who hate when music takes over a scene or tech guys who wish they didn't have to mix music into a really cool sound effects scene.

;) "A Prayer for Peace" on repeat

They're in the top, don't mislead yourself.

no, they pale compared to ET, or Empire of the Sun, Star Wars, or even HP.

Joe, in case you still don't know (and I put things this way as I'm sure most around here know that) my all time favourite score is E.T.

Now, even having E.T. as my number one for some 27 years now, I can say without any doubt, that Memoirs of a Geisha is quiet as good. You don't like it, you don't have to listen to it. It simply doesn't makes in any less good. Try to understand that, please.

And most important, Congratulations John, you made me start the day in grand fashion... oh, well, you always do ;)

Two of the best scores John Williams has ever written, if you ask me -- congratulations, Johnny!!! This shows once again that the Oscar is the most ignorant and overrated award there is today. I'm listening to the Munich score right now, and it keeps getting better with each listen! About Memoirs of a Geisha I don't have to say anything . . . everybody knows it's another JW masterpiece.

:)

Why does Joe have to use everything as an opportunity to take a swing at the man to whom this whole website is dedicated? I really don't understand...

That's because Joe is an ignorant boy. :o

Two of the best scores John Williams has ever written, if you ask me -- congratulations, Johnny!!! This shows once again that the Oscar is the most ignorant and overrated award there is today. I'm listening to the Munich score right now, and it keeps getting better with each listen! About Memoirs of a Geisha I don't have to say anything . . . everybody knows it's another JW masterpiece.

Why does Joe have to use everything as an opportunity to take a swing at the man to whom this whole website is dedicated? I really don't understand...

That's because Joe is an ignorant. :o

No, because Joe is more decerning than you, and those that just declare everything JW does as a masterpiece. There not, and his recent works are not as good as his older stuff, get over it, and learn the meaning of the word ignorant, your ignorant of its meaning bub. And Maestro you don't see me bash is good stuff. I don't get excited about John winning awards for his lesser works. If you guys want to get excited about his getting the scraps go for it.

I'm sure there's a JWFan member who was able to go to the Grammy pre-show. Does anyone know if John Williams came to accept his awards, or if he stayed away?

If he came, what did he say?

And by the way, congratulations Randy Newman! (His fourth Grammy.)

Apparently there were problems in our area with the broadcast so we missed the first hour, which pissed me off because The Police gave their first public appearance since they broke up in the 80's.

As far as the rest it's garbage as far as I'm concerned.

No, because Joe is more decerning than you, and those that just declare everything JW does as a masterpiece. There not, and his recent works are not as good as his older stuff, get over it, and learn the meaning of the word ignorant, your ignorant of its meaning bub. And Maestro you don't see me bash is good stuff. I don't get excited about John winning awards for his lesser works. If you guys want to get excited about his getting the scraps go for it.

To say that Geisha is a lesser work means you never gave it a chance. And I don't see anyone claiming Minority Report, Munich, War of the Worlds or Attack of the Clones are Williams' best work.

And his recent works are sometimes even better than his older stuff. I'd take Catch Me if you Can or Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban over 1941 any day of the week. And twice on Sundays.

Before you call me ignorant, bub, learn how to spell "they're" and "you're"!!!

Anyway, you are not more decerning, not by a long shot. IMO, Munich and Memoirs are different kinds of scores . . . they are not Harry Potter or Star Wars, granted, but they are still masterpieces. (Yes, for me Munich is also a masterpiece.) You need to learn to appreciate other stuff as well.

It is quite foolish of all of you to argue over his current scores vs past scores in terms of awards. The only question is, were MOAG and Munich better than the other nominess and other scores in that year? That is the only thing that should be up for discussion. MOAG was not competing with Star Wars or E.T. or any other classic Williams scores for awards. Should MOAG or Munich not be awarded because they don't stand up to music written 20-30 years ago??

JW is alive and still making music, what more can we ask for? Happy (belated) Birthday John, congratulations on the Grammies, now get back to work. :o

By the way, I used to be MaestroJW, if anyone remembers me.

Jeff

Well said MrScratch. Geisha was a better album than Chronicles of Narnia, Da Vinci, even Munich and definitely Pirates 2 and the same goes for "Prayer for Peace" over its competitors. This forum has discussed at length how Williams had his gold rush in the late 70's and early 80's, but I personally think that with Williams, even his lesser works tower above other composers triumphs, though I find Memoirs to be no lesser work, it may very well be in his top 5 best.

Anyway, you are not more decerning, not by a long shot. IMO, Munich and Memoirs are different kinds of scores . . . they are not Harry Potter or Star Wars, granted, but they are still masterpieces. (Yes, for me Munich is also a masterpiece.) You need to learn to appreciate other stuff as well.

look at the little spelling nazi, course considering where your from...

-sigh-

Dole: Who remembers a time when you could start a thread congratulating John Williams without it descending into bickering and chaos.

look at the little spelling nazi, course considering where your from...

Obviously we're dealing here with a kindergartner. Go back to your playpen and let the adults talk! :lol:

Memiors of a Geisha is a great score. One of JW's best in the last 7 years. Then again, most of John's stuff has been great over the last 7 years......