The Big Bad Star Trek XI Thread

BLUMENKOHL

According to syllogism anyway...read all about it!

This pretty much 100% confirms Giacchino for Trek XI.

The Gia Poo Poo haters cringe.

And the rest of us celeberate.

+1 Trek Topics 'round this joint.

Moderator's note: This is a combination of several running threads, merged to create a single thread for the new Star Trek movie.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After getting a hold of some of his CDs I'm fairly impressed with most of Giapoopo...er, Giacchino's work. His video game and TV scores are much better than his film efforts to date. I'm cautiously optomistic. Hopefully he'll do his own thing and not try to sound like Jerry or Horner or anyone else. Other than the mandatory Courage fanfare statements, of course.

After getting a hold of some of his CDs I'm fairly impressed with most of Giapoopo...er, Giacchino's work. His video game and TV scores are much better than his film efforts to date. I'm cautiously optomistic. Hopefully he'll do his own thing and not try to sound like Jerry or Horner or anyone else. Other than the mandatory Courage fanfare statements, of course.

I don't know... so far he's had only a couple of scores that were truly his style, Alias, Lost, and Mission Impossible. From what I've listend to from Alias, its pretty bad. Lost, on the other hand, is excellent, but the same style and orchestrations were used in MI:3, and IMO they didn't work too well.

My favorite MG scores, Medal of Honor and The Incredibles, were both homages to John Williams and Barry. If he chose not to compose an homage to Goldsmith or Horner, then from his track record we practically would have music from Lost in a Star Trek film, which I just don't see working.

Hopefully, we'll get to see his style flourish more this November in Ratouille.

I'm looking forward to it.

THe last time they used a TV composer it didn't work well, either. I'm kind of disappointed. His stuff is more atmospheric background music than a major sci-fi movie with a history of rich scores.

Alot can happen between now and Dec. 2008.

I would love a Star Trek score by Giacchino.

Dennis McCarthy did a damn good job on Generations.

The last time they used a TV composer it worked very well. Thankfully McCarthy did his own thing, not crib Goldsmith, Courage or Horner!

If you ask me, he should have. In the film, it is the worst Trek score. Doesn't help the film one iota, and that's a film that needed a whole lot of help.

I like the film, but it would have been better if they would have forgotten about the villians and evil plot all together and just made a true comedy film, like The Voyage Home. Insurrection is a bit schizophrenic.

Yes it is the worst Star Trek Score. If you completely forget about the Rosenman effort (well...effort...)

It served the film well, with great spirit.

Actually overall Generations is a better score then Insurrection, which has some boring action parts.

I never listen to Insurrection, but it did work well in the film. And the film had boring action scenes, can't blame Jerry for reacting in kind.

I'm not sure how versatile composer he is but now I have a feeling that his style doesn't fit to

the trek world.I love his effort in Lost especially the atmosphere stuff.

But I have never seen any Trek movie or TV serie , what the hell I'm posting here...

There's only one bit of it that orks, and it the bit originally composed by Sandy Courage.

I never listen to Insurrection, but it did work well in the film. And the film had boring action scenes, can't blame Jerry for reacting in kind.

It's a Goldsmith score, ofcourse it works in the film. But the action music in the last few tracks is pretty much identical to that in the first one. Generations has some good stuff missing. The short rendition of the main theme when we see the HMS Enterprise, the launching of the rocket, the second part of The Nexus.

I like ST IV's score. I think Rosenmann did a good job.

The coughcoughexpanded Insurrectioncoughcough is a better listen even though it's Goldsmith on autopilot.

Even if Generations's music was half as inspired as Insurrection, its terrible mix would destroy it.

The only tracks that I enjoy on the album are 3, 5, 8, and 15.

The rest is very weak, weaker than McCarthy's television efforts, which I think were quite impressive, especially in the latter seasons of DS9.

One thing I'll say track 5, "Time is Running Out" always manages to give me the chills. McCarthy is very good at getting some REAAALLY dark notes out of that low end of the orchestra.

For example, see the turn over of power over the chase for Eddington in "For The Uniform" in DS9, when Sisko tells the other captain "Good hunting."

There's only one bit of it that orks, and it the bit originally composed by Sandy Courage.

That's just not true. The LoTR inspired Main Titles are terrific, and the comedy cues, like 'Chekov's Run' and even the pulka 'Hospital Chase' work in the film.

I don't know... so far he's had only a couple of scores that were truly his style, Alias, Lost, and Mission Impossible. From what I've listend to from Alias, its pretty bad. Lost, on the other hand, is excellent, but the same style and orchestrations were used in MI:3, and IMO they didn't work too well.

You mustn't have heard much of his Alias material then. Having recently finished watching the final season (it still hasn't aired here in Australia), I've just been completely blown away by his talent as a TV composer. He wrote tens of themes for the show, some complex, others deceptively so. The espionage/action underscore is probably what most people notice, but it's the personal themes and motifs that make up the palette. He utilises them to the best effect, right up to the season finale. I look forward to hearing what he continues to come up with for Lost, and upon hearing this, Star Trke.

Alias has very good music. It seems Giacchino gets much slander here for not doing the same over and over again. I expect his Trek will be some more of the same mixed with something else - perhaps some Horner-style Trek music or something. Wouldn't surprise me, but judging from what I've heard so far (not too much, but some things), Giacchino should be able to incorporate that quite well - see all the Goldsmith POTA-type stuff in Lost Season 3, for example.

Yes it is the worst Star Trek Score.

Agreed. Yet still a good score. Reminds me of Rosenman in its best places, actually.

If you completely forget about the Rosenman effort (well...effort...)
Rosenman's Trek score is wonderful.
Actually overall Generations is a better score then Insurrection, which has some boring action parts.

And Insurrection is one of Goldsmith's best Trek scores, after TMP and (probably) FF. You can blame him for a poor album, but the full score is much more exciting than First Contact. The action writing is gripping - if it's Goldsmith of autopilot, it's still more inspired than his usual autopilot mode.

"Chasing Data/Dogfight" is one of the best action cues to grace a Star Trek action sequence...

I'm not familiar with that tracktitle, we must have differently litled bootlegs.

But still I'm not about to take Star Trek musical reviews to seriously from a man who destroyed a Star Trek Voyager promo score!

Either way, I really don't think we need another Star Trek movie at this point. Let alone a ruddy prequel.

But I find the idea of a post-M:I:III sci-fi score by Giacchino to be quite hard to resist.

-Ross, who guesses he'll have to watch a Trek movie now. After 22 years of staying away from them.

Either way, I really don't think we need another Star Trek movie at this point. Let alone a ruddy prequel.

But I find the idea of a post-M:I:III sci-fi score by Giacchino to be quite hard to resist.

-Ross, who guesses he'll have to watch a Trek movie now. After 22 years of staying away from them.

Not before Rome you don't!

Morlock- who will be listening to you know what on the morrow. ROTFLMAO

Didn't we know this already?

That's probably the most accurate statement in this thread.

Yes it is the worst Star Trek Score. If you completely forget about the Rosenman effort (well...effort...)

I don't know if I've ever agreed with you more completely. It's like you ripped the thoughts right out of my brain. I don't much like the main theme in Insurrection either, though the Baku music is quite beautiful. And Dennis McCarthy is as much the musical voice for Star Trek on TV as Goldsmith is for the movies, so it was only right he got a crack at a film.

John- also very dubious of the movie's purported premise

Hey, what works for Charles Manson......

Morlock- who, incidently has the same birthday as Manson

:huh:

I'll take that into consideration.

Hey, what works for Charles Manson......

Morlock- who, incidently has the same birthday as Manson

frightening that you know that

My favorite MG scores, Medal of Honor and The Incredibles, were both homages to John Williams and Barry.

I still don't see the comparison between his MoH work and Williams' work on Saving Private Ryan which is what everybody compares it to. Apart from his openings which are solemn pieces, the rest of the score is usually leitmotif action set pieces more akin to Indiana Jones (and damn fine work too).

He still hasn't done enough work for someone to say "Oh, I know how his next score is going to sound like," but I still look forward to his stuff because he's one of the last pushers for using live orchestra whenever possible, has a great work ethic, and is an all around really nice guy.