The Big Bad Star Trek XI Thread

BLUMENKOHL

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Giapoopoo might have scored more films if he was better than he is.

oh that was bitchy

But with Lecter, that is how he was originally written. This just needlessly fleshes that out. And with Star Wars, only RoTJ really puts the whole twist on Vader. I have no inherent problem with the way the prequels (story-wise, not the way it was executed) built up the Anakin side of Vader.

My favorite MG scores, Medal of Honor and The Incredibles, were both homages to John Williams and Barry.

I still don't see the comparison between his MoH work and Williams' work on Saving Private Ryan which is what everybody compares it to. Apart from his openings which are solemn pieces, the rest of the score is usually leitmotif action set pieces more akin to Indiana Jones (and damn fine work too).

Really? I've never thought to compare MoH to Saving Private Ryan, I've always considered the first one, at least, to be a hands down homage to the Indiana Jones scores of the past.

has a great work ethic, and is an all around really nice guy.

Which is irrelevant, really. Herrmann was a son of a bitch, but he composed music that is still remembered today.

Horner's looked down on even more now because of his cocky attitude.

has a great work ethic, and is an all around really nice guy.

Which is irrelevant, really. Herrmann was a son of a bitch, but he composed music that is still remembered today.

Horner's looked down on even more now because of his cocky attitude.

His blatant rip-offs and un-truths do not justify his "holier-than-thou" attitude.

Herrmann on the other hand was a master.

Neil

I guess Giacchino would be my third choice to score this among living composers (behind Cliff Eidelman and David Arnold). I'm sure that whatever he comes up with will be more than adequate.

So we've gone from utterly brilliant (Star Trek TMP) to more than adequate (Star Tek: Prequel)

Well TMP was a tough act to follow and Horner did a wonderful job.

Neil - who still hopes this isn't a prequel

Neil - who still hopes this isn't a prequel

You aren't going to be happy Neil.

From SciFi.com:

Report: Abrams Will Helm Trek XI

Ending months of speculation, J.J. Abrams signed on to direct the next installment of the Star Trek feature-film franchise, sources told The Hollywood Reporter late on Feb. 23. Rumors had been circulating that Abrams, who is also co-writing and producing Star Trek XI, may have decided not to helm the film.

But the trade paper confirmed that Abrams will helm Star Trek XI, which it added will revolve around a young James T. Kirk and Mr. Spock, chronicling their first meeting at Starfleet Academy and their first space mission. Abrams and Paramount have declined to confirm that version of the supposed story.

Abrams is the prolific co-creator/executive producer of ABC's Lost and directed Mission: Impossible III. He has been developing Star Trek XI through his Paramount-based Bad Robot production company. Abrams reportedly committed to directing the project only as of Friday evening, when the deal was finalized, sources told the trade paper.

But should it be called Star Trek XI since it is a prequel? What is the Roman numeral for -1?

Horner is reportedly great to work with. Directors love him, come back to him over and over again.

De Niro probably disagrees

He'd be in the distinct minority.

its not even official that the movie will see the light of day.

I, for one, hope it never does.

And that's called wishful thinking, buddies.

Well we can all wish can't we?

I never really got into Star Trek, though Wrath of Khan was very enjoyable. It´s not a must see movie for me at all, but if makes a lot of you happy, then I´m happy :D

A tentative yay from me. I think they can do a lot better than going back to the Kirk/Spock well again, but based on his body of work Abrams deserves a chance. And I'm hopeful Giacchino can pump out something good.

Wow... can't wait to hear Giacchino's take on Star Trek. I personally really liked his MI3's score... very respectful modernization of Schiffrin's style.

Casting rumours aboumd....rumours are that Matt Damon, Adrien Brody and Gary Sinise have been lined up for the trio of Kirk, Spock and McCoy (I have heard 2 of those names before in conneciton with with this, but Brody is a new one on me)...with James McAvoy in talks to play Scotty.....

Casting rumours aboumd....rumours are that Matt Damon, Adrien Brody and Gary Sinise have been lined up for the trio of Kirk, Spock and McCoy (I have heard 2 of those names before in conneciton with with this, but Brody is a new one on me)...with James McAvoy in talks to play Scotty.....

Boy that's a really young cast................ :D