JW and Perlman on Charlie Rose (1997)

Morlock

No idea if this was ever mentioned before, I know I wasn't aware of this. JW and Perlman appeared on the Charlie Rose talk show in 1997, when Cinema Serenade came out. Not terribley interesting, but I thought some people here might enjoy it. (second half of the show)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6...+rose&hl=en

BTW- it appears that google video has the entire Charlie Rose archives. I've been going through it, and found dozens of terrific shows. I find the show to be the single best interview show around.

I'm not trying to sell. I know there are people who are interested in any JW videos they can get, and was surprised to find an old one that I had no idea existed.

I just finished watching it. Nice conversation, though I thought the questions could have been a bit better. Still, Williams had some nice answers, well worded and insightful.

Tim

I believe there's also one with him interviewing Horner.

He mostly repeats himself throughout the interview and quotes other composers. :baaa:

Jeff

I believe there's also one with him interviewing Horner.

He mostly repeats himself throughout the interview and quotes other composers. :baaa:

Jeff

LOL... took me a moment to catch that one NICE ;)

Did anyone notice John Williams scratching his hands alot? I seem to remember another interview where he did that as well...

Interesting

LOL

It's from a condition called "Baton Hands" where the various wood textures of the different batons conductors use cause a sort of itchy rash. It was for this reason that Jurassic Park was mostly written by someone else, and also why JW doesn't orchestrate his scores at all.

Ray Barnsbury

It's from a condition called "Baton Hands" where the various wood textures of the different batons conductors use cause a sort of itchy rash. It was for this reason that Jurassic Park was mostly written by someone else, and also why JW doesn't orchestrate his scores at all.

Ray Barnsbury

Is that so? Interesting...

Ray Barnsbury

:)

Yeah, he seemed to downplay the fact that Williams was a composer at all, focusing more on him being a conductor. And when he asked Williams if he wished he'd have been born with a musical gift like Perlman's (:)), Williams' response seemed like a very polite and diplomatic way of telling Rose to suck it. :lol:

Ray Barnsbury

Kind of reminds me of that amazing performer Yo-Yo Ma, who won so many awards, performing music from Memoirs of a Geisha, accompanied by some old guy on a piano.

You say that sarcastically, but, come on. That's the way it is. He is a film composer. He is fringe. No reason to think he'll ever escape that.

Well, look at Hans Zimmer. He's a film composer (an amazing one at that) and is a super-star. I mean, when you look at his resume, you only see Oscar worthy films.

He's a super-star within the fringe, so his appeal is a bit wider outside of the fringe. But let's not kid ourselves- only a bit. Sure, he's got some cross-over hits, but we all know that occaisionally there are soundtracks that make a spalsh outside of our confined quarters. And I dont' know what you mean by oscar something films (Worthy?). Very few of his films are oscar-type.

I was referring to Rabbit's comment about Zimmer and oscar worthy scores. If he was serious, then I will be changing the direction of my laugh from 'with' to 'at'.

Tim

I was referring to Rabbit's comment about Zimmer and oscar worthy scores. If he was serious, then I will be changing the direction of my laugh from 'with' to 'at'.

Tim

It's official, I cannot successfully tell a sarcastic joke. Either that, or many of you don't understand the concept.

To Morlock: Let me leave you with a partial quote from Alexander Pope..."To err is human"

[it's official, I cannot successfully tell a sarcastic joke. Either that, or many of you don't understand the concept.

I'm not sure why you quoted me, as I'm the one that understood your sarcasm.

Tim

This is not actually the first time that this has happened, so that's why I wrote "many" instead of "one". "Few" would probably have been more appropriate.

• 1 year later...

Charlie Rose seems to be more interested in Perlman than Johnny... and most of the time he referes to him as conductor only.. if I don't know Williams and I wath that interview, I would think johnny is just an conductor who writes a little music.

Same thing happened with Yo-Yo Ma on Leno...what can ya do. Although Rose did seem impressed when Jude Law (briefly) talked about JW's score to A.I..

• 8 years later...

I've seen pretty much every John Williams interview there is, and I knew that he was on Charlie Rose in the 90s, but I only NOW got around to watching this as someone posted a link to it over at FSM:

https://charlierose.com/videos/283

Well, it wasn't terribly good. Rose seemed to be totally out of his element, asking the most inane questions. Perlman and Williams tried the best they could to "simplify" things for him. In other words, not a lot for us hardcore fans. Still, it's always interesting to watch Williams and his mannerisms; his pedagogical speech etc.

3 minutes ago, Richard said:

Out of interest, Thor, have you heard every JW interview? Have you heard his interview 1976, on Radio 2?

No, I'm sure there are some that have slipped through the radar throughout the years. Is that the one that was published on FSM Online awhile back? If so, no. I've only heard segments of it. I'm no longer a subscriber to FSM, unfortunately, so there's no way to access it. :(

1 hour ago, Richard said:

I've just tried to Goggle it, but it came up with two interviews from 1980, one of which shows JW conducting the carbon freeze music. Not bad.

That sounds like it's from the BBC documentary that was made around EMPIRE STRIKES BACK, and which is now common knowledge to everyone -- and which most have probably seen due to it being on Youtube and being spread via social media (there was a time not too long ago that this doc was only on a rare DVD-R, distributed to a select few of us).

I have seen this one before but I thought the whole interview was really fun and very informal in a way, which is exemplified by Johnny's odd pose there. Perlman is also a very funny guy and cracked a couple of good jokes on Rose's expense on that Cinema Serenade album cover he first asked about. :lol: