The Adventures of Tintin MOVIE Anticipation thread (News, Interviews, Images, Posters, etc)

TownerFan

Variety reports today that Steven Spielberg and Peter Jackson will produce and direct a trilogy inspired from the popular comic-book TINTIN. Each one will direct at least one of the three movies, which will be realized with WETA's most recent performance-capture technology.

Awesome news! Can we expect also Williams and Shore teaming up for the score? :rolleyes:

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sweet Heavens, this is... actually good news? I'm not really used to getting those from Hollywood.

As for the music, both Williams and Shore have proven to be able to handle a film like this. I do hope they pick a new composer, though, to give the trilogy its own sound.

If anything, it's one more excuse to re-read the Tintin books once again. Nice.

Wow...exciting news!

I doubt Shore and Jackson will be working together again...I mean, we still haven't heard the real story behind King Kong. If Spielberg is directing, it's obviously JW. While I do understand Ender's concerns.....I'd have JW doing any movie, any day of the week.

According to interviews given by Shore at his recent LOTR concerts he has nothing but praise for Jackson and hopes to work with him again.

Take it for what it's worth but maybe they were both adults about the whole situation and didn't get in a pissing contest.

Man I LOVE the theme (main titles) from the TV series.

I would love to hear it performed by a proper full orchestra, but of course, vainly, I doubt the eventual composer would use it. I hope I'll be an established composer by the time they're hiring one :rolleyes:

Jackson and Shore buried the hatchet a while back. In an interview I read somewhere with PJ he stated that he had already spoken to Shore about scoring The Hobbit, but that was before he fell out with New Line when he still thought he would be directing it.

Man I LOVE the theme (main titles) from the TV series.

That's an awesome theme indeed! And I'd love to hear it in full orchestral format, but I don't think it'd be suitable for this film series. I would like Williams to come up with a new theme for Tintin.

This is indeed very good news. I'll be having the 'too good to be true' feeling until I'm sitting there in the theatre though.

That's astonishing? It's about time he let's go of these old partners that caused a stagnation in his work. He needs to mix it up.

Shore is from a former French colony, like TinTin.

As for Spielberg doing TinTin, I'm not sure he's the right man.

I'm worried he'll try to make it more American it, like the way he heavily Americanized Hook, or the way he wanted to do Harry Potter.

Yes I agree, but does this mean he also has to dump Williams/Kaminski/Kahn?

Look, I'd never recommend dropping Williams. I think a different kind of film might prompt different kind of material.

Regarding Kaminski- I like his work, but I do certainly think that Spielberg should play the field more. Have Roger Deakins shoot a film, or Ed Lachman!

Kahn, I don't know about. The only films I've seen his do in recent years that made an impression on m were all Spielberg, and who knows what he had to work with. In general, I think he has been a master editor. But perhaps new blood wouldn't hurt. Joe Hutching I think would work well with Spielberg. Pietro Scalia, too. Or how about good ol' Stuart Baird? And as an added bonus- it might keep him from directing!

I heard the news before, but was somehow hesitant to give in to the excitement, since I am not really sure that JW will be involved (and I am not familiar with TinTin except the fact I've heard there is a series like this). Since this will be a trilogy and each of the directors is to direct only one movie, I think they may take some other composer for all three to mainain a certain continuity (and it cannot be certain that it will be JW, since his he might not want to commit to longer projects due to his age and semi-retirement...).

On the other hand, I still hope that JW will someday score a non-animated PJ epic movie (because his movies really give the oportunity for the composer to have a free swing with a bat).

I really think that Spielberg could make it work, but not as a CGI thing... screw that. He should do it live-action in the style of Munich.

Just look at what he did with Munich, make it a little less serious but keep the gritty style and you have the perfect setting for a vintage Tintin. Realist action, some dark undertone (latter Tintin had dark stuff, it wasn't slapstick). Tintin et les Picaros, Vol 714 pour Sydney, l'affaire Tournesol, those were mature and really Spielbergish.

I do hope they try to do one of the book instead of a new story. Jackson is perfect for Les Septs Boules de Crystal / Le Temple du Soleil (it's a double story).

I can't believe no-one has mentioned the really astonishing thing yet.

If this is true, then Spielberg will be using another effects company then ILM, for the first time in decades....

Manuel will be so pissed!

It was actually the first thing that came to my mind the moment i read 'WETA'.

Yes I agree, but does this mean he also has to dump Williams/Kaminski/Kahn?

i thought he is directing his own movie? surely he'll get to choose his partners no?

Damn it! I knew someone was going to beat me to it about this news. I coudn't get JWFAN. COM to load yesterday at home when I found out this news... Andreas what have you done to the server? Especially accessing this forum...it's seems slower then it was before...

Interesting to see if John Williams will score this Tintin film since spielberg is doing it as well as Peter Jackson..

This sounds like a bizarre project for Spielberg, to be honest. A three-films series, all in CGI, based on a Belgian comic book, co-produced and directed with Peter Jackson? WTF? It sounds like a fanboy's daydream...I thought it was a joke or something at first.

Ray Barnsbury - who nonetheless welcomes any opportunity for a new Williams score

Variety reports today that Steven Spielberg and Peter Jackson will produce and direct a trilogy inspired from the popular comic-book TINTIN. Each one will direct at least one of the three movies, which will be realized with WETA's most recent performance-capture technology.

Awesome news! Can we expect also Williams and Shore teaming up for the score? :P

A trilogy of....Tintin? That's so....stupid. I like Spielberg, but Jackson really has no directorial talent. The weakest parts of LOTR were his direction by far in an otherwise amazing trilogy. And his other stuff is...well....not well known except among cult fans for a reason.

I like Spielberg, but Jackson really has no directorial talent. The weakest parts of LOTR were his direction by far in an otherwise amazing trilogy. And his other stuff is...well....not well known except among cult fans for a reason.

Have we here some secret free-mason knowledge about the proceedings behind 'LOTR'? What exactly differentiates the 'weak direction' of Jackson from the rest of the 'amazing trilogy'????

Why would today's audience be interested in an cleancut, old-fashioned strip character whose adventures have been many times surpassed by modern incarnations of himself?

And what does Jackson have with Tintin? Does Spielberg need the name Peter Jackson to attract people to the theaters? Has it come to this?

Alex

I've seen all 3 films Baird has directed and all 3 are decent.

I've the last two and both were bad and cheap looking, although US Marshal's did have some good stuff in it as well.

The weakest parts of LOTR were his direction by far in an otherwise amazing trilogy.

You obviously haven't a clue what a director does.

As for Spielberg doing TinTin, I'm not sure he's the right man.

I'm worried he'll try to make it more American it, like the way he

heavily Americanized Hook, or the way he wanted to do Harry Potter.

My thoughts exactly. Hearing this news, I was thinking - "Oh god, no". On the other hand, we can see the results of how he managed to transfer the comic book 1930s style thing into Raiders of the Lost, Ark pretty well. Mind you, that was in the 1980s when he was a very different person. If they handle TinTin with care, they "might" just be able to pull this off. But what about the younger generation who will be watching this? Will they be interested in the kind of "whiter than white" aspect of TinTins character, that is in the comics? Will Spielberg have to make him more "dark" (the buzz word of movies now) and make him into a kind of Jason Bourne, to reflect the violent gritty times we live in? TinTin as a character has a sort of saintly Christian morality to him, and is similar in ways to the innocent adventures of Enid Blytons "Famous Five". A very sweet kind of adventure. There is also quite a "orientalism" thread through TinTin stories, about other cultures. Will that be politically correct in these times? It wasn't a problem in Raiders of the Lost Ark and Temple of Doom, becuase that was the 1980s. But for 2007? Hmm, I wonder. Will TinTin hit the right buttons for a generation used to "kick ass" characters? Will Spielberg compromise and "adapt" to 2007? If he does, then that will probably be a tragedy. It would make the movies sell better, but at what expense?

"Bastard Barnacles. Touch Snowy again, and I'm gonna fuck you off" :P

According to interviews given by Shore at his recent LOTR concerts he has nothing but praise for Jackson and hopes to work with him again.

Take it for what it's worth but maybe they were both adults about the whole situation and didn't get in a pissing contest.

Well Shore is a good Cannuck and his temperment follows suit. I've also heard nothing but nice things about him.

And what does Jackson have with Tintin? Does Spielberg need the name Peter Jackson to attract people to the theaters? Has it come to this?

What can you say about such idiotic comments?

People like Jackson are visionary filmmakers and the future of the film industry. I haven't seen something visionary from Spielberg since Jurassic Park.

Spielberg is a great director, but isn't the "be all to end all" anymore.

Any movie fan should be greatly excited about this dream team. Only some narrow-minded, bitter sods could make such comments.

Why would today's audience be interested in an cleancut, old-fashioned strip character whose adventures have been many times surpassed by modern incarnations of himself?

They are very good adventures that would look great on the big screen (thought not as good as they do in the originals). Who gives a shit about the audience?

That reasoning is less than impeccable. Just because Spielberg is co-working with someone, how does that mean he needs him? And even if he did, why does it have to be "to attract people to the theaters" specifically? Would you be more comfortable if he had recruited Brad Silberling (of Casper fame) or Rob Marshall or even Zemeckis?

Who gives a shit about the audience?

You'r kidding, right? Just about everyone in the industry.

And no, zodkwnqz, or whatever your name is, Peter Jackson and his hunger for blockbusters is a far cry from being "visionary". You just want your annual sfx ride.

Alex

Who gives a shit about the audience?

You'r kidding, right? Just about everyone in the industry.

So what is this, you claiming to make a better film choice than Spielberg? He does get some respect when it comes to that. From just about everyone in the indsutry.

All I'm saying is, it's old skool (Spielberg) and new skool (Jackson) joining forces. With those two names on the poster, the blockbuster-hungry crowd will have no other choice but to go see it. Don't you think they realize this?

Don't you think they want to give people something to remember? Your attitude is quite destructive, and pretty insulting to the integrity of both, Jackson and Spielberg.

People deduct other people's motivations from what they would do in certain situations, but that doesn't mean it's likely or justifiable.

Or they suspect other people of an evil mind because they aren't as successful as they would like to, and think they deserve the fame much more than anyone else, whereas at the same time, they have no clue what made those folks successful, or how to appreciate that.

Because of the same reason they are interested in superheroes that are 30 years old, books that are 50 years old, or stories that are 70 years old - they are simply classics.

To say people who celebrate Peter Jackson just want their annual SFX ride is obviously completely ignorant to the mastery of storytelling through dialogue, pictures, and music.

First time I heard of him was when it was announced that Spielberg was attached. But the image was familiar.

Each time you think you're alone on something, there are a billion people with the same thought. It seems we're not all that different.

I'm really not sure about this project.

Spielberg doing Tintin? With Jackson? Eh?

And in CGI too? That's a bit disappointing. I'd love to see The Seven Crystal Balls and Prisoners of the Sun as a live-action period piece. Of course there already were a few live-action Tintin films, and I'm fairly sure neither of them were particularly succesful.

I'm still very hesitant about this whole Spielberg making Tintin into a movie business.

Am I the only one who's never even heard of Tintin before?

You're not alone. :(

For shame!

Utter utter shame!

;)

Go here, you uneducated silly people.

Or better yet, go out and buy the books. All of them. Right now. Go!

But Marc, a live-action Tintin would be... very difficult to take seriosuly. In a "live-action Charlie Brown" or "live-action Calvin & Hobbes" kind of way. I say we stick to cautious optimism about the CGI.