The Adventures of Tintin MOVIE Anticipation thread (News, Interviews, Images, Posters, etc)

TownerFan

That has more to do wityh the apalling quality of The Prequels.
Didn't WETA do the Narnia effects too? I always thought the CGI in that film was lacking compared to many others.

Ray Barnsbury

Both good points. Narnia looked quite bad, now that I think about it.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still have to see Davy Jones kind of quality from WETA...

Anyway, Narnia's effects were (sadly) SONY imageworks, Rythm & Hues (just aslan, and congratulations) and ILM did some compositing of what the others did (kind of 'last call') WETA workshop did the props and character desings.

Narnia 2 is being WETA.

Theratibia is WETA too.

King kong is amazing work.

I have never seen a CGI creature as convincing as King Kong. Gollum was outstanding, but I knew he was artificial and saw him as a very convincing CGI creation. With Kong, it's different. There are a few moments of him jumping around where he looks fake, but other than that, he seemed almost flawless. In most of his "acting" scenes, even though I know he's not real, my brain insists that here's a real gorilla (and a damn well-acting one) on the screen.

So Sony Imageworks did Narnia...didn't they do the first Harry Potter film too? If so, they have a pretty poor track record, at least between those two films.

Ray Barnsbury

I thought Stan Winston and ILM worked on I, Robot.

ILM (nor Winston, i think) did no any work on I, Robot (and it shows :( )

Sony Imageworks is the worst huge SFX company.

Its the mastermind behind the Spider-Man SFX... Just watch 3 to see they dont know a shit about them...

Cant believe his creator was one of the 1st ILM workers...

HP1 only had one or two scenes with decent SFX, i suppose the ILM parts.

Some of the sand effects in Spider-man 3 were very impressive though.

Really?

I think that for the most part looked much like ol' 1999 ILM's 'The Mummy'

I can't speak for the rest of the effects (they didn't make much of an impact), but I thought that the Sandman's first scene as the Sandman was one of the most beautiful things ever done with CGI. Really a great use of CGI.

Yes it seems the dram made you see excellent CGI where it wasnt.

I haven't seen the film and can't judge upon the quality of the effect, but if the drama holds up and makes you believe what you're seeing, isn't that really all you need?

People like to comment on the quality of FX because it's a technical aspect in filmmaking that is very easy to comment on. To them it looks real or it doesn't. It's something anyone can do.

Alex

So...what's your point? Over here, we are specifically talking about F/X. People are simpletons just because they raise the topic?

It's not as if F/X is the only topic raised when discussing a film.

Morlock- who is disspointed that Alex is talking out more, yet saying less. It was so much more interesting when you were actually discussing specifics, instead of sending out blanket insults to us plebs.

...but it's not one decent effects shot. It's one GREAT F/X based scene. And a lot of decent F/X shots. And a bunch of crappy ones.

So...what's your point? Over here, we are specifically talking about F/X. People are simpletons just because they raise the topic?

It's not as if F/X is the only topic raised when discussing a film.

Morlock- who is disspointed that Alex is talking out more, yet saying less. It was so much more interesting when you were actually discussing specifics, instead of sending out blanket insults to us plebs.

Don't be so upset, Morlock, I only made a philosophical point about FX discussions in general. It's what interests me more than comments like, "Great movie, I mean, the FXs were amazing".

shake head smiley.

Alex

I only made a philosophical point about FX discussions in general.

I'm so sure I will never see those words in the same sentence again.

Don't be so upset, Morlock, I only made a philosophical point about FX discussions in general. It's what interests me more than comments like, "Great movie, I mean, the FXs were amazing".

shake head smiley.

Ahhhh....you know I could never be mad at YOU, don't you?

Some kind of benevolent smily, followed by a wink, with another slightly vague smily to imply that, actually, this is not always entirely true.

Man they want to kill me.

I just read that Hulk 2 is not being made by ILM... Neither banna nor conelly...

Lets hope that Aslan was not a one-time lucky shot by Rythm & Hues.

Morlock, at least you will agree with me that Spider-man 3 is the worst (SFX wise) big budgeted - action packed movie in the last years.

As Steef said. Cant' say I remember the SFX in most film I see. Although I think that Narnia's was worse, but in concept. The exceution of that concept was fine, I guess.

I agree with Marian, red rabbit, and Ross. Aslan looks quite unconvincing. Kong looked quite convincing.

I agree with Marian, red rabbit, and Ross. Aslan looks quite unconvincing. Kong looked quite convincing.
People like to comment on the quality of FX because it's a technical aspect in filmmaking that is very easy to comment on. To them it looks real or it doesn't. It's something anyone can do.

Alex

I think i also agree with Ross :(

mmm it seems anyway that we have a very different way of seeing SFX. Even when ILM is not present. Oh well...

Alex

Over here, we are specifically talking about F/X.

Spiderman 3 = worst movie I have ever seen. Period. Just picture the wussiest guy in the world skipping down the street, clicking his fingers and staring at woman (and pretend-shooting them with his fingers) who appear to be laughing at him. Then realise that's a plot way of showing his *dark side* with the evil spider suit- yes that's right folks, I'm not making this up. Most farcical thing I've ever watched.

Anyway. Back on-topic, Tintin did actually get the orchestral treatment. If anyone's interested, I have a MP3 from an orchestral (French?) album of the title theme that's as good as the TV title theme, and it even goes further. It's superb. I hope JW/whoever scores this will do as good a job :(

I hope this is good news. TinTin the TV show was great, but could have probably used longer episodes in some areas. I'm confused as to the 'trilogy' business though. Why?

- Spike