The Adventures of Tintin MOVIE Anticipation thread (News, Interviews, Images, Posters, etc)

TownerFan

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He is great, but the horse part didnt look to have real hair i think. I prefer the griffin in Narnia.

I dont know what you guys see wrong in aslan.

Heck i even saw the video preview of him and thought they had imposed footage of a real lion into the walking girl footage...

My problems with Aslan are less with the visual effects and more with voice. Liam Nissen, great as he is, just doesn't feel right for the character. He gives it his best shot, but to me his voice as that character just doesn't work. Plus everything he says sounds like it's in a recording studio, it's very poorly integrated into the film.

My problems with Aslan are less with the visual effects and more with voice. Liam Nissen, great as he is, just doesn't feel right for the character. He gives it his best shot, but to me his voice as that character just doesn't work. Plus everything he says sounds like it's in a recording studio, it's very poorly integrated into the film.

They should've just brought in James Earl Jones...he is Mufasa after all. =P

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Well I was too lazy to read most of what everyone said here, but there doesn't seem to be much more news to report other than that this is officially Spielberg's next project. He'll direct the first mo-cap flick, and Jackson will follow up with the second (the third one . . . who knows).

Apparently Andy Serkis is gearing up as Captain Haddock and they should start filming pretty soon.

http://movies.ign.com/articles/859/859681p1.html

I've yet to see a Mo-Cap flick that convinced me it should have been shot that way. I didn't really care for Polar Express and as for Beowulf, I felt that the animated characters detached me from the movie, and got in the way of the acting. I mean, looking at the special features for Beowulf and watching them film it, I could understand 100% why a director would love to shoot this way. He can control everything, every little detail. But the end result, that which matters most, seems to suffer. Who knows, maybe this (or A Christmas Carol) may change my mind about it.

I can't say I'm particularly excited about a Tintin movie in the first place. I'm sure when I see some footage though, I'll change my mind. What's interesting to me is what's going to happen, score-wise. Obviously Williams is the one to go with for the first movie (although I'm forever in fear that Williams will announce his retirement and someone else will take his place), but what happens come the second movie? Will Jackson use Shore again, or go with Williams, or someone else given what happened with Kong? And if he uses someone else, I assume they'll use the themes Williams lays down in the first one?

History.

Jaws, Superman, Jurassic Park, Harry potter...and Star Wars, Indiana Jones (for videogames)

Find a franchise that Williams created that it didnt have to live with his themes.

The only one i can think of is home alone 3, scored by hans zimmer and that i highly doubt he used williams theme. But the movie has nothing to do with the other two, i think.

There is a good chance that John Williams might be scoring the first one with Spielberg if he is directing it.

History.

Jaws, Superman, Jurassic Park, Harry potter...and Star Wars, Indiana Jones (for videogames)

Find a franchise that Williams created that it didnt have to live with his themes.

The only one i can think of is home alone 3, scored by hans zimmer and that i highly doubt he used williams theme. But the movie has nothing to do with the other two, i think.

I saw one of the newer Home Alones, I forget if it was three or four, but they used JW's theme in the main titles. It had something to do with a special chip that got sent to the kid this time.

History.

I saw one of the newer Home Alones, I forget if it was three or four, but they used JW's theme in the main titles. It had something to do with a special chip that got sent to the kid this time.

That's Home Alone 3. I saw it in theaters. Sucked. The idea of the kid being home alone for only an hour really removes the tension from the plot. Oh, and Home Alone 4 just tracks music from Home Alone. (No, I haven't seen it! I like reading reviews of bad movies; they can be hilarious.)

Spielberg & Jackson doing TINTIN? :blink:

Nah, we need some obscure artistic Russian director to make a movie of Tintin. You know the type. All in grainy black and white film. A 5 minute shot of snowy the dog yelping in the pouring rain, before a quick cut to a tap drip drip dripping in focus in a grimy run down apartment with the sound of a screaming baby in the background and the blurry shape of Captain Haddock stumbling around the apartment groaning after a hard nights Vodka drinking and shouting to Tintin (also hungover and lying on a grubby matress with a hooker from Macau) - "Blistering Barnacles. She's still 'ere?". Yes, we need Tintin to be hard and gritty. If Jackson and Spielberg get hold of this, Snowy will be a brown dog (to show ethnic diversity), and all hint of colonial mindset will be removed. I honestly don't know how they're going to do it without destroying everything which Tintin was. :unsure:

History.

That's Home Alone 3. I saw it in theaters. Sucked. The idea of the kid being home alone for only an hour really removes the tension from the plot. Oh, and Home Alone 4 just tracks music from Home Alone. (No, I haven't seen it! I like reading reviews of bad movies; they can be hilarious.)

I don't remember 4 tracking music from the first film--it would've made the film just a hair less awful. Yes, I had the misfortune of seeing it. This is a movie with a message on it and the message is "BEWARE. This is not a movie for watching. This is a movie for laying down and avoiding."

Yeah, I just watched some clips from the film on YouTube. The score sucks hard. Glennie-Smith did very minimally employ "Main Titles" and "Somewhere in My Memory," but he didn't even transcribe them accurately. His lack of musical training is evident.

(It's not one of those cases where you can tell the themes were deliberately altered, like with Patrick Doyle's Hedwig's Theme; you can tell Glennie-Smith just did it by ear, and badly.)

Yes I agree, but does this mean he also has to dump Williams/Kaminski/Kahn?

Certainly not when it comes to Williams and Kahn. Kaminski I'm iffy about, but considering that Spielberg has changed cinematographers throughout the years (like once or twice every 2 decades), I wouldn't be surprised if someone else was DP for Tintin.

And while Kahn only edits on film for Spielberg, he edits on Avid for other directors. And in an interview, Spielberg did say that Tintin would be his first movie where an Avid will used.

Well, that was a decade ago. I do think Spielberg needs to expand his horizons with different people -- most of his collaborations with Kaminski result in an ugly, washed-out monochromatic look for his recent films (barring The Terminal, Indy 4, Lost World, etc.). And besides, Tintin is a movie that will have a look generated during post-production with color timing, visual rendering... but we'll see

But at any rate, he should keep Williams and Kahn on. Both are Spielberg's lucky charms, so to speak.

And while Kahn only edits on film for Spielberg, he edits on Avid for other directors. And in an interview, Spielberg did say that Tintin would be his first movie where an Avid will used.

Kahn's a fossil, he needs to take a page out of Walter Murch's book and use Final Cut!

If Williams does one of these films, we'll finally get that JW animated score we've always wanted. I'm fine with it if he composes. Also, here's a nasty thought. They're thinking about released it through DreamWorks Animation. Katzenberg runs that department, and there's never been a DW Animation not scored by Zimmer.

Shore, Williams, and Zimmer? That would be a trilogy of scores no one would have ever thought would happen.

You're right. Hmm, thought it was Dreamworks.

Also the kid from Love Actually has been cast as Tintin.

17-year-old Thomas Sangster (Nanny McPhee, Love Actually) has been cast to play comic book hero Tintin in the trilogy of performance capture films to be directed by Steven Spielberg and Peter Jackson, according to the Daily Mail.

Sangster, from South London, has already been to Los Angeles to work on pre-production test sequences with both directors.

He'll be joining Andy Serkis, who has been cast as Tintin's sidekick Captain Haddock.

Filming on the first story involving Tintin begins in the fall, with Spielberg directing. Peter Jackson will direct the second movie

Link

If Williams does one of these films, we'll finally get that JW animated score we've always wanted. I'm fine with it if he composes. Also, here's a nasty thought. They're thinking about released it through DreamWorks Animation. Katzenberg runs that department, and there's never been a DW Animation not scored by Zimmer.

Shore, Williams, and Zimmer? That would be a trilogy of scores no one would have ever thought would happen.

:( That would be a historical moment for us soundtrack fans!

But would Jackson and Shore be willing to work together again after the "artistic differences" of King Kong?

According to sources who actually were there was no animosity between Shore and Jackson.

Both men apparently parted on good terms.

I would certainly be interested in a new Shore score (I haven't heard anything apart from his LotR scores, plus one track from Ed Wood). But I also wouldn't mind JNH scoring it. As long as JW does something!

Anyone know whose doing the score to The Lovely Bones? That could help answer whether Shore will be involved or not.

To indy4, you should check some more of Shore's work out. The Departed, The Score, Eastern Promises, The Game, and Panic Room are all good scores.

Nobody is signed on to compose LB, I think.

And yes, I have been curious to hear more of Shore. He's a very long term goal of mine, but I do plan on eventually getting more of his scores.

Anyone know whose doing the score to The Lovely Bones? That could help answer whether Shore will be involved or not.

To indy4, you should check some more of Shore's work out. The Departed, The Score, Eastern Promises, The Game, and Panic Room are all good scores.

Apparently the film isn't scheduled to be released until March 2009. No mention of a composer attached yet.

Also the kid from Love Actually has been cast as Tintin.

17-year-old Thomas Sangster (Nanny McPhee, Love Actually)

f_k1914411009m_99fcbe5.jpg

I can see why they would have picked him. He has that kind of cartoony/manga face.

But as this is taking so long, the chances are he'll be 20/21 by the time they get to do this.

Which would mean he'll probably lose that softness. They should have picked him when younger.