The OFFICIAL The Dark Knight thread

Beowulf

Yes, I remember that in that exclusive trailer that only a certain group of people saw, Two-face does reappear, with his new face. The trailer included something along the lines of:

Random - "Dent? I thought you were dead?"

Dent - "Half"

EPIC!

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I know of is the first phase with the "I Believe in Harvey Dent" site (great tie-in to TLH), followed by "I Believe in Harvey Dent Too!" and the thing to reveal the first picture of the Joker (another thing: all three pics of the Joker we've had had some kind of difference--the first one was whiter than the second two, the second had a different hairstyle from the third...), and I seem to remember something about Joker cards turning up in comics shops or something like that.

Yes, I remember that in that exclusive trailer that only a certain group of people saw, Two-face does reappear, with his new face. The trailer included something along the lines of:

Random - "Dent? I thought you were dead?"

Dent - "Half"

EPIC!

It's a voiceover, you don't actually see Two Face

What I know of is the first phase with the "I Believe in Harvey Dent" site (great tie-in to TLH), followed by "I Believe in Harvey Dent Too!" and the thing to reveal the first picture of the Joker (another thing: all three pics of the Joker we've had had some kind of difference--the first one was whiter than the second two, the second had a different hairstyle from the third...), and I seem to remember something about Joker cards turning up in comics shops or something like that.

Trust me, you have absolutely no idea how complex this viral marketing has become.

We'll be getting something better than that in a week or two.

The Today Show did a piece on TDK featuring some interviews and behind-the-scenes stuff.

I love it when they try to analyse psychologically why people love Batman, and don't see that it's essentially nothing more than a cool gimmick and a halfway realistic backstory.

If you want to read a detailed description of the first six minutes of the movie, which was screened (in IMAX, no less) recently:

http://movieblog.ugo.com/index.php/moviebl...on_imax_in_nyc/

'08 is shaping up to be an interesting year. Like Batman Begins, this isn't high on my radar screen but there's enough positive buzz around it that I'll probably check it out. Heath Ledger's Joker is already drawing raves.

The poster is definitely not what I expected, but it's still very interesting and cool. That seems to be a trend with this movie.

They had their new viral marketing thing today with going to the bakeries and there was one that was 15 minutes away from my university. Drove to it (took 2 hours and 40 minutes by the time I got back) and I was too late but oh well. It was cool going in and saying "Hi I'm Robin Banks and I believe you have something for me"

• 2 weeks later...

I'm gonna wait until it's officially out there. Do you see much of Joker in it, though?

Those are some interesting posters. I love the "Why so serious?" tagline. Good stuff. I'm curious as to what exactly is going on with Batman in that one poster, though. It seems odd for him to be watching over his city through a window like that--it would be one thing if it was Bruce, but Batman? I know I'm being nitpicky, it just strikes me kind of weird.

The Joker poster (first one) is really cool. It's great to see that classic purple--and it's a long coat, no less! And the second one is neat in that it seems to simultaneously convey his twistedness and his playful, jokey side as well. If they maintain that dichotomy in the film, this is gonna be a treat.

I like the look of Gotham more in that Joker poster, by the way. The one in the international poster looks too new and sparkly. I hope they give Gotham a bit more character this time around, have just a bit more of the gothic architecture--not over the top, just where it's appropriate. I thought it looked the most Gothamesque in the climax of Begins, along with the Narrows.

You see a lot of the Joker, and he sure is intense. I am most impressed to see such an inconic being brought to life in this manner. I can't even recognize it's Ledger

The link to youtube doesn't lead to a video. It says it is private and you must accept the invitation from the person who sent it to you. Is there a link to it anywhere else?

This is the absolute best trailer ever made, aside from possibly the Return of the King trailer 4 years ago..............July can't get here soon enough............

The new Joker looks and sounds fantastic ---- while Jack Nicholson's Joker will always hold a special place in my heart, I have a feeling that this Joker will become the definitive embodiment of the character, being the closest to what the original comic book character was made out to be.

I was a little skeptical when I first heard Heath Ledger was chosen for the part, but WOW, he seems to have hit the ball out of the park. Can't even tell it is him. The laugh is varied and AMAZING. His whole demeanor is so insane and sinister, I love it.

I NEED TO SEE THIS MOVIE RIGHT NOW!!!!!!

That trailer was simply. amazing.

From just those clips, I think it's fair to say that Heath Ledger will be a good Joker. His voice, the makeup, people are going to totally forget it's him under thre. I'm always excited when an actor can totally disappear into a role. Now we'll just have to see how he holds up through a 2 hour movie. That trailer does seem to focus on the Joker more than Batman, though. I wonder if that's how the movie will be?

Nolan has gone on saying that while the Joker is a big part of the film, the Dark Knight is primarily the story of Harvey Dent

As long as we don't lose focus of Batman/Bruce Wayne, which was Tim Burton's fatal mistake with his first stab at a Batman sequel, then I think Nolan's film will be in good shape. He demonstrated with the first film that he can juggle a variety of plot elements, characters, and themes, and streamline them all into a great big-budget film. I'm really looking forward to this...

Ted

Great posters all.

The only shame is that the Joker's face has already been seen so much; these should have come first.

The marketing guys are doing an extraordinary job, notheless; the "invitation cake" is incredibly inventive.

I can't wait to see Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull and The Dark Knight.

obbatsbgns0001.gif

I like these posters quite a lot, but I have this strange feeling all this marketing stuff does not mesh too well with Nolan style of storytelling, which isn't quite as glossy. All of this looks more like a Saw marketing campaign than anything else. I hope it won't be too much for its own good. But maybe it's just my reaction to the total change of strategy from Batman Begins. The marketing on that one was pretty much non-existent. Anyway, my point is Nolan doesn't do films they (the marketing people) are advertising. It might disappoint quite a lot of people in the audience. But then again, who cares? It's the opening weekend that matters...

I also hope this new film won't be simply The Long Holloween with the Joker. Because it seems it'll go into this direction, especially with the Harvey Dent character.

Karol

Nolan has gone on saying that while the Joker is a big part of the film, the Dark Knight is primarily the story of Harvey Dent

That's partially true, but the focus will still be on Batman. Begins was really a study on the character, and I'm sure Nolan would not push him aside. Bale has said Batman will still be the driving character, even with Joker and Harvey Dent.

I'm sure other bootlegs of the trailer will show up soon.

It's been removed. Did anyone by chance save it?

Search The Dark Knight on youtube and sort by date added

That's partially true, but the focus will still be on Batman. Begins was really a study on the character, and I'm sure Nolan would not push him aside. Bale has said Batman will still be the driving character, even with Joker and Harvey Dent.

I'm sure other bootlegs of the trailer will show up soon.

Well yeah Batman's going to be the primary character.

I was quoting from this interview

Well, we never wanted to do an origin story for the Joker in this film. The arc of the story is much more Harvey Dent's; the Joker is presented as an absolute. It's a very thrilling element in the film, and a very important element, but we wanted to deal with the rise of the Joker not the origin of the Joker, if that makes sense.

Wow that trailer reeks of dog piss!

Nicholson was bad as the Joker but Ledger is really a joke, and I don't mean that as a pun.

I know it might seem like daring and inspirational casting, giving it to one of those gay cowboys, but all the subtlety and class of Cesar Romero's portrayal of the character has been flushed down the toilet.

Another movie ruined by that effing c-word Nolan!

Wow that trailer reeks of dog piss!

Nicholson was bad as the Joker but Ledger is really a joke, and I don't mean that as a pun.

I know it might seem like daring and inspirational casting, giving it to one of those gay cowboys, but all the subtlety and class of Cesar Romero's portrayal of the character has been flushed down the toilet.

Another movie ruined by that effing c-word Nolan!

. . . that's just ridiculous.

The trailer looks phenomenal, even in low quality. Ledger is a great actor and I'm happy that he wont disappoint here. As many have said, 2008 is shaping up to be a great year of cinema.

A great actor???

Please, he is nothing but an Ocker pretty-boy.

He will ruin the legacy of The Joker, like Balw ruined Batman.

Adam West was and ever shall be The Dark Knight!

what legacy, Nicholson wasn't playing the joker, he was just a crazy Nicholson

Ledger looks to actually be getting it right