Vangelis

Panthera

On 7/16/2007 at 10:47 AM, Farawyn said:

Abraham' s Theme is played, if I remember well, when Ben Cross' character, Abraham, remembers loosing against Eric ; the hymn could be Eric's theme (track 4 in the album).

I think Eric's Theme is actually the best theme in the score. It is the one used for the climax. 

When Eric's theme kicks in for the finale, you know it is classic moment. Really memorable, very dramatic and even poignant. This is what good film scoring is about.

3 hours ago, Thor said:

From what I understand, it's not really a 'new' album, but rather piano versions of his old tracks.

6 of the 17 tracks are new versions of old pieces:

Tracklisting:

1. Nocturnal Promenade
   2. To the unknown Man from Spiral
   3. Movement Nine from Mythodea
   4. Moonlight reflections
   5. Through the Night Mist
   6. Early Years
   7. Love Theme from Blade Runner
   8. Sweet Nostalgia
   9. Intermezzo
  10. To a Friend
  11. La Petite Fille de la Mer from Apocalypse des Animaux
  12. Longing
  13. Chariots of Fire from Chariots of Fire
  14. Unfulfilled Desire
  15. Lonesome
  16. 1492: Conquest of Paradise from 1492: Conquest of Paradise
  17. Pour Melia

16 hours ago, Obi said:

I would ask myself all my life "why no one called him for Blade Runner 2049?"

Villeneuve and Zimmer did call him, even went to talk to him in Paris, but Vangelis declined (said he didn't have time). Maybe he didn't like the idea of working together with another composer. Anyway, I don't think the Vangelis of today would have done such a great job. OTOH, Zimmer's vintage Blade Runner synthesizer setup could have brought out the best in Vangelis.

Was never a big fan of MYTHODEA myself. It's too 'massive' and aggravating, and I don't think the orchestral and electronic elements mash very well. ROSETTA, on the other hand, very much played to Vangelis' strength.

3 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Villeneuve and Zimmer did call him, even went to talk to him in Paris, but Vangelis declined (said he didn't have time). Maybe he didn't like the idea of working together with another composer. Anyway, I don't think the Vangelis of today would have done such a great job. OTOH, Zimmer's vintage Blade Runner synthesizer setup could have brought out the best in Vangelis.

Oh, thanks, I did not know that.

Anyway, it's maybe right, Vangelis certainly doesn't equalize is work for the first one... But Zimmer no more with is noisy score...

Nonsense. BLADE RUNNER 2049 is a great score (and works wonderfully on album in my edited playlist programme), and Zimmer was the perfect composer for the project when Vangelis wasn't available, even if the score is mostly Wallfisch. But obviously, we would all have wanted Vangelis.

2 hours ago, Thor said:

Zimmer was the perfect composer for the project when Vangelis wasn't available, even if the score is mostly Wallfisch.

So the score is a missed opportunity, because Zimmer would have been perfect, but Wallfisch wrote most of it instead? Otherwise your comment doesn't quite make sense. ;)

Anyway, it's a good score in the film. Didn't notice anything in it that I would want to listen to away from the film, but that goes for most of Vangelis's original score, too (and there's a lot of Vangelis that I enjoy on album).

3 hours ago, Thor said:

But obviously, we would all have wanted Vangelis.

Or Johann Johannsson who wrote the score and be fired. Zimmer and the guy of It doesn't have a lot of time.

The actual score is correct, especially "Joi". Good Clue.

I would have preferred JJ. He most likely got fired because his score didn't mimic the original Vangelis score and he probably stood by his guns when asked to change that.

Villeneuve was lying through his teeth, or covering his ass, or both, when he said in interviews that he wanted to get closer to the original Vangelis sound, because the final product sounds nothing like Vangelis, except for the cue that adapted "Tears in Rain"

8 hours ago, Corellian2019 said:

because the final product sounds nothing like Vangelis, except for the cue that adapted "Tears in Rain"

I only heard the score of 2049 while watching the movie, but I definitely got that it's based on Vangelis, especially in the beginning of the movie when we fly over the city. But, yeah, 'Tears In Rain' is the only cue they copied verbatim. Other than the score, I also noticed that they tried to recapture the ambience noises that play quietly in the background. Villeneuve would only be lying if JJ's score sounded more like Blade Runner than Zimmer & Co's. Maybe it does, I never heard it.

On 12/22/2018 at 3:56 PM, Marian Schedenig said:

So the score is a missed opportunity, because Zimmer would have been perfect, but Wallfisch wrote most of it instead? Otherwise your comment doesn't quite make sense. ;)

Anyway, it's a good score in the film. Didn't notice anything in it that I would want to listen to away from the film, but that goes for most of Vangelis's original score, too (and there's a lot of Vangelis that I enjoy on album).

Yes, the assignment was perfect. He's shown himself able to channel that beautifully before, like "Old Souls" from INCEPTION or that Elgar-cum-Vangelis cue in DUNKIRK. And the instances of the Zimmer/Vangelis touch (mostly through Zimmer's equipment) are pretty nice too. Tracks like "Mesa", for example. But yes -- ultimately it was a missed opportunity not to have Zimmer do this solo, as I think the whole thing would have been even better than it is now.

On 12/22/2018 at 5:22 PM, Alexcremers said:

I would have preferred JJ. He most likely got fired because his score didn't mimic the original Vangelis score and he probably stood by his guns when asked to change that.

So you think he wasn't fired because of his substance abuse?

I

43 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

So you think he wasn't fired because of his substance abuse?

It was a last-minute call. I think someone, probably not Villeneuve, but someone higher-up wasn't happy with JJ's musical approach and said: "Give it to Zimmer, he's good."

• 2 months later...

Thanks, @Omen II. That might just be worth leaving Scotland for.

On 12/24/2018 at 6:54 AM, crocodile said:

Cocaine is good for the soul!

...and so, they say, is confession, but you don't hear too many of those, these days.

On 12/22/2018 at 9:59 AM, Jurassic Shark said:

I prefer Mythodea over Rosetta.

I prefer SEE YOU LATER over virtually anything. SOIL FESTIVITIES isn't bad, either.

On 12/22/2018 at 12:42 PM, Thor said:

(...works wonderfully on album in my edited playlist...)

Now, my dear Thor, think about what you just said. Go on; think, and realize how absurd that statement is.

3 hours ago, Omen II said:

Blade Runner will be shown live in concert at the Royal Albert Hall in October.  The music will be performed live by the Avex Ensemble.

Blade Runner

This should happen in the U.S., NY specifically!

• 1 year later...

The new album "Juno to Jupiter" will be released on September 25 in a steraming version. The physical version is expected later this year. Unfortunately, the album has leaked. Vangelis' team made a special statement:

http://elsew.com/data/latest.htm

First impressions are very enthusiastic.

https://notesfromanebula.blogspot.com/2020/08/from-juno-to-jupiter-vast-musical.html

Track list:

1: Atlas’ Push 3:41
2: Inside our Perspectives 3:32
3: Out in Space 4:14
4: Juno’s Quiet Determination 5:18
5: Jupiter’s Intuition 3:58
6: Juno’s Power 4:09
7: Space’s Mystery Road 4:18
8: In the Magic of Cosmos 2:07
9: Juno’s Tender Call 3:42
10: Juno’s Echoes 3:39
11: Juno’s Ethereal Breeze 1:31
12: Jupiter’s Veil of Clouds 5:18
13: Hera / Juno Queen of the Gods 4:21
14: Zeus Almighty 11:01
15: Jupiter Rex 1:36
16: Juno’s Accomplishments 4:23
17: Apo 22 1:54
18: In Serenitatem 4:15

Juno to Jupiter (1).jpg

Screenshot_2020-08-12-23-12-03~2.png

On 12/22/2018 at 4:42 AM, Thor said:

Nonsense. BLADE RUNNER 2049 is a great score (and works wonderfully on album in my edited playlist programme), and Zimmer was the perfect composer for the project when Vangelis wasn't available, even if the score is mostly Wallfisch. But obviously, we would all have wanted Vangelis.

Zimmer was the perfect composer. but the score was a dud.

Boring CD of droning soundscapes and no themes.

It pains me to say this'- you know I'm a Zimmer fan- but a major disappointment.

7 hours ago, Pawel P. said:

The new album "Juno to Jupiter" will be released on September 25 in a steraming version. The physical version is expected later this year. Unfortunately, the album has leaked.

Can't wait for this! Hoping it's as excellent as ROSETTA!