What exactly did William Ross do in Harry Potter the Chamber of Secrets

loveydovey

Williams hasn't been composing his own scores for about a decade now.

And yet some people believe the last few years are better than 1977-1984 for Williams.

Neil

• 9 years later...

So what have you guys decided about this? Was that supposed Ross-friend poster Helji reliable? 

1 hour ago, Richard said:

As far as I'm aware, JW wrote about 40 mins. of new score, including at least four new themes. Ross then adapted the first score to fit the film (and a splendid job he did, too).

Personally, I don't care who did what, as it's a really good score. 'Nuff said.

As far as I´m aware, that was the original plan, but somebody who looked up the original handwritten score found out that every cue has been written by Williams handwriting, and there are citations that Williams sent in new music still during recording. So I think that Ross only conducted and made the usual necessary changes during that process.

OK, wow. So I guess we still don't know. @Jay, what do you think? 

I had previously thought Wrobel's comments had settled the matter and that indeed Williams had done everything, but I was looking at this thread last night and I realized maybe things weren't so straightforward. 

I don't know the real story, but I always assumed that JW wrote all the music, on a certain preliminary version of the movie or just the scenario...

...Then Ross conducted it for the recordings sessions and adaptated each bit of it, to correct fit each final scene with the final montage, till the last version of the movie. And I assume that during this period, the two had discussions when there where major changes needed.

The music is by John Williams, he and only him.

After that, it's usual business. Cut his cut that, loop this, a transition here, returning back to the main theme... bla bla bla. When the music is written, and you only have to adapt it to each scenes... I'm not saying that all the work is done because the music is already written, but I'm saying that it's easier for an arranger to work with existing material, even better when he knows the composer very well and has a great relation with him, than to start from scratch.

Anyway, don't look for this album in my JW's discography as a conductor/performer... he doesn't conduct! :P

It's as much a John Williams album than a William Ross one.

COS belongs to the very short list of scores written by JW, but conducted by others.  And we are lucky, there are very very few!

Soundtracks conducted by others: http://www.goplanete.com/johnwilliams/music/composer/others.htm

39 minutes ago, Bespin said:

I don't know the real story, but I always assumed that JW wrote all the music, on a certain preliminary version of the movie or just the scenario...

The point is what it is meant by "writing", and to what extent "adapting" involves creative decisions, in this particular case. Reading again this whole thread, which dates back to many years ago, it is apparent that nothing is straightforward. A user who claimed to have the sketch in front of him said that most of the score had been written by Ross... which is at odds with what others have said in other occasions. Who is reliable, who is not?

In my opinion, we should just take the credits as given on the CD for good, and that's it. At the end, people may not even agree on the definitions of "composing" and "adapting" (the latter inevitably involves some composing), so the debate might not be objective even in the presence of the sketches. Maybe what Ross did is "composing" according to some people, and "adapting" according to others, even including himself!

I wonder why people don't ask what part of None but the brave was really composed by John Williams, and what was the real implication of Morris Stoloff in the recording process. :P

2 minutes ago, king mark said:

The leaked sketches are in Williams handwriting  for all the  cues

Is your source for that Wrobel's analysis? 

This is what a John Williams sketch looks like. "1M1 Prologue Rev." for Chamber of Secrets.

yHkak1Il.png

Anyone who's taken a look at Williams's sketches knows that he's been sketching this way for decades. Same paper, same thin pen, etc.

This is what I'm pretty sure a William Ross sketch looks like. "8M2A Insert The Chamber Door Opens" for Chamber of Secrets (this is the cue when the bathroom sink opens up and reveals the hidden way).

Ro3AFUFl.png

Look at that. Thicker pen, very different handwriting, obviously a cue that borrows thematic material from the first film (heck, it even segues into tracked music), but it has "John Williams, BMI" written up there. I don't know for certain why Ross did that (though it fits in with Hellgi's assertion that Ross was very adamant about keeping it a Williams score and that he was merely an adapter) but I think we can at least say that Williams didn't personally put pen to paper for too many cues. That was Ross.

There are three different kinds of music in the film

1) Scenes that nobody wrote any music for.  Some of these scenes play with no score at all, some of these scenes play with music literally tracked in from HP1 (as in, the actual recording made for HP1)

2) Scenes Williams wrote brand new music for.   Sometimes he re-used HP1 passages as part of his new compositions, of course.  All of this music was conducted by Ross, and if the scene got re-edited after Williams' sketch was sent in, it was Ross who altered bars and/or tempo here or there to match the new timing of the scene

3) Scenes that Williams didn't have time to write anything for, so Ross conducted new cues.  These new cues are entirely made up of compositions Williams wrote, hacked up and re-tempoed/etc to match the scene in the film.

Ross didn't "write" anything.  Just conformed what Williams wrote to the final film.

18 minutes ago, Skelly said:

This is what a John Williams sketch looks like. "1M1 Prologue Rev." for Chamber of Secrets.

yHkak1Il.png

Anyone who's taken a look at Williams's sketches knows that he's been sketching this way for decades. Same paper, same thin pen, etc.

This is what I'm pretty sure a William Ross sketch looks like. "8M2A Insert The Chamber Door Opens" for Chamber of Secrets (this is the cue when the bathroom sink opens up and reveals the hidden way).

Ro3AFUFl.png

Look at that. Thicker pen, very different handwriting, obviously a cue that borrows thematic material from the first film (heck, it even segues into tracked music), but it has "John Williams, BMI" written up there. I don't know for certain why Ross did that (though it fits in with Hellgi's assertion that Ross was very adamant about keeping it a Williams score and that he was merely an adapter) but I think we can at least say that Williams didn't personally put pen to paper for too many cues. That was Ross.

That's what I was talking about. It is of course impossible to mistake the two handwritings. For a cue like this one in Ross's handwriting, which is clearly based on the Three-Note Loop from HP1, for me we are talking about "music composed by JW, adapted by Ross" (however, others may call this "composing", as there is an element of originality). What people are wondering about is, how much of the score was done in this way, what about important cues like "Spiders", etc. Without having seen the sketches, everything leads me to believe that all the completely original material is by JW (so it was sketched as in the first example). The part done in the second way might me the larger part of the score, but it is still adaptation, according to the criterion discussed above. Otherwise they would have talked about co-composition.

It's like you would ask Williams Ross to arrange parts of the final movement of Beethoven ninth symphony for a movie scene.

It still will be Beethoven... but rearranged.

I don't see any problem here.

No arranger/conductor would ever take the credits over Beethoven!

William Ross obviously arranged some othe HP1 music to fit it in the movie, but that wasn't what this thread was about initially. Helgii or whatever claimed he composed new music like the bombastic ending of Reunion of Friends , which is pretty much impossible . If Ross could do that cue he could do the next Star Wars score alone.

I've also heard William Ross scores and they're so below Williams level it makes claims like that even harder to believe

As for Williams writing only 40 minutes it's also impossible .He ended up writing much more because there's a lot more new music than 40 minutes

No, it only indicates that more than 40 minutes of music were recorded for this film. However, it does not indicate how much of that material JW wrote and how much of it Ross wrote, nor does it indicate the amount of material reprised from the first film but rerecorded for the second film.

Well, both sessions are out there, someone could do a cue-by cue analysis of every CoS cue after memorising the PS sessions, that'd at least tell us how much is reprised.

I could probably do it next week if nobody points out something like this that already exists.

There are only insertions of HP1 material within the proper underscore that is unique to COS. This makes the whole discussion moot, anyway: it's strictly impossible that Ross hasn't contributed underscore because that would mean Williams wrote a, say, 3 minute cue with half of its running time missing, pointing to Ross to fill them up with old stuff (with a note attached 'don't write a note of music yourself, i have a canadian fan who will bust you!').

Does not plausible? Well, it isn't. In all probability Williams gave Ross certain parts to work on and did other stuff by himself (how much is up for debate). Goldsmith worked quite the same way on AFO and 'First Contact' and i see no reason this should be different.

The only thing I never understood was why the OST album contained some of those weird new-material-mixed-with-hodge-podge-HP1-passages, instead of entirely being fully fleshed out original HP2 compositions.

23 hours ago, Skelly said:

I think we can at least say that Williams didn't personally put pen to paper for too many cues. 

Yeah, he uses pencil. ;)

23 hours ago, Bespin said:

It's like you would ask Williams Ross to arrange parts of the final movement of Beethoven ninth symphony for a movie scene.

It still will be Beethoven... but rearranged.

I don't see any problem here.

No arranger/conductor would ever take the credits over Beethoven!

Just jerking your chain, Bespin. :P :lol::lol:

Screen Shot 2017-07-13 at 1.08.22 PM.png

5 hours ago, Jay said:

The only thing I never understood was why the OST album contained some of those weird new-material-mixed-with-hodge-podge-HP1-passages, instead of entirely being fully fleshed out original HP2 compositions.

He seemed to expand the first album by means of the second album. Every underscore that was used twice (in both movies) was either on the first album or on the second album. That's how I interpreted that.

If we go by Hellgi's words, that was Ross. That little melody has always felt to me like someone trying very hard to imitate Williams's special "sound", but almost too hard. Not that it isn't wonderful, but that's always the impression I've gotten.

7 hours ago, Will said:

Yeah, he uses pencil. ;)

Oh, great! Now we're back to square one. :P