"Air Conducting"

JWfangirl1992

Ok I'm curious, is there any particular track/cue/or album that you find yourself "air conducting"? For me its the Battle of Hoth. I was in the car with my mom and I was listening to it on my iPod and my mom thought I was having a fit. ;)

I love air conducting. I cannot resist myself, every time I'm listening to something that really captures my soul I HAVE to "air conduct".

I try not to do when I'm in public, though.

I air conduct so often to so many cues from so many different composers. When I really get into the music, it just kind of takes over. My single favorite piece of music to air conduct is the Dies Irae from Verdi's Requiem Mass. I wear myself out with that one, haha.

I've caught myself a few times doing it very slightly when walking to class with my iPod on. To keep from being committed, I quickly stop.

Ok I'm curious, is there any particular track/cue/or album that you find yourself "air conducting"? For me its the Battle of Hoth. I was in the car with my mom and I was listening to it on my iPod and my mom thought I was having a fit. ;)

So despite of what common is believed, Girls and Women also maestrobate. :lol:

Since all conducting is generally done in the air, I'm going to refrain from calling this practice "air conducting." That being said, I do conduct the music I'm listening to quite a bit. It's enjoyable.

But my arms usually hurt after a while, it is tiring. I am really impressed how John Williams can do that for such a long time at his age.

Yes, me too. I think every conductor needs to be always in pretty good shape, it's very demanding from the purely physical point of view. It's impressive to see how in good form JW still is, considering he's 75.

But my arms usually hurt after a while, it is tiring. I am really impressed how John Williams can do that for such a long time at his age.

Yes, me too. I think every conductor needs to be always in pretty good shape, it's very demanding from the purely physical point of view. It's impressive to see how in good form JW still is, considering he's 75.

I thought the same thing. I was air conducting to all the pieces on the DvD that came with the RotS soundtrack and by half way through I thought my arms would turn to jello

I just wave a pencil around and pretend I know what I'm doing.

I did that once in history class when we were watching an icredibly boring movie on the Holy Roman Empire. The music sounded like a cross between the Emperors Theme from Star Wars and Voldemort's theme so I was "conducting" that. However I absolutely have no idea how to conduct so i just swing my pencil around or if i dont have anything I just use my hand.

I'm geared up to air conduct Wagner's complete Der Ring des Nibelungen, the Solti versions next weekend!

Just kidding, I would probably die like so many conductors before me.

Tim

I'm an avid air-conductor. It's especially dangerous when I'm driving and I get both hands going.

But the best thing happened the other day, when my former chorus director gave me an old baton he didn't use anymore. Now I drive around with this thing in the compartment of my car door, and I conduct in style! It's wonderful, and adds so much to the music-listening experience.

...and John truly must be fit to conduct as often as he does. It's tiring!

Berlioz conducted his "Fantastic Symphony" with a sword in the premiere, so...

I'm sure a lightsaber is more dangerous, though :) I didn't know Williams actually conducted with one.

I air conduct a lot, but since I am a conductor anyway, I have an excuse! It's good practise for technique...just as ayone else would practise an instrument at home....though of course for conducting nothing quite beats geting out there and doing it for real and learning by mistakes....

I'm an avid air-conductor. It's especially dangerous when I'm driving and I get both hands going.

Heheh...remind me when I get my liscense never to drive anywhere near you :).

And yet he did.

It was the red one, which I remember is Darth Vader's, right?

I don't remember. I think it was a DC concert a while back, he pulled one out for the encore or something.

Ait conduct with a pencil, generally at about 4 AM. Not very often, but I've been driven to do it more often recently, by 'Tangiers' from The Bourne Ultimatoum.