A question for pianists

JWfangirl1992

I've been playing Anakin's Betrayal and the part where you have to play the octave, then the ninth, and then the tenth (ten notes apart from each other), does anyone else have a problem with this stretch? I normally just play it an octave the for the three notes.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It all depends on the size of your hand, I suppose. When I was younger I might have had a problem with it, but now I can reach a 10th with no problem.

You must have smaller hands than I do, so you just have to improvise. You can either play the bottom note, and then a third up from that (which could sound muddy).

Or you can split the notes between two different hands. We pianists can always find ways to make it work, when we reach physical limits!

Or you can arpeggiate that huge interval. Play the bottom note with your thumb (assuming that this leap is in the RH) and then the top two notes (9th and 10th) with your 4th and 5th finger together. Don't worry if they don't sound at exactly the same time, the damper pedal will catch them both.

Sorry if that makes absolutely no sense. I hope I'm thinking of the right interval based on your description. :)