Elliot Goldenthal

Morlock

On 26.5.2018 at 7:39 PM, karelm said:

Some of these are still in their wrappers like The Tempest.  So this collection is for show or was given to you?

None in wrappers; the light might be creating an optical illusion here. THE TEMPEST has a bit of worn booklets; probably because Goldenthal carried it around with him in a bag. He gave me this personally after an interview in Ghent a few years ago, so I've felt it was more important to keep it for that reason than to replace it with a pristine copy. :)

By the way, Robert Piaskowski (boss of Krakow FMF) posted a few pics of Goldenthal on his Facebook feed. Seems like he has landed in Krakow, and is hanging out with his hero Penderecki in spectacular surroundings:

33690987_10214642454069497_5604189888938

33579975_10214642453549484_4274899645424

9 hours ago, publicist said:

Oz...?

Right, it was Oz, not Alice which was by Burton with Elfman scoring.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1623205/reference

8 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Maybe its Elfman who's the problem?

Perhaps.  I think it was just very intense and he wasn't being treated fairly and eventually said enough is enough which didn't go over well but in a way, good for him.

5 hours ago, Thor said:

None in wrappers; the light might be creating an optical illusion here. THE TEMPEST has a bit of worn booklets; probably because Goldenthal carried it around with him in a bag. He gave me this personally after an interview in Ghent a few years ago, so I've felt it was more important to keep it for that reason than to replace it with a pristine copy. :)

By the way, Robert Piaskowski (boss of Krakow FMF) posted a few pics of Goldenthal on his Facebook feed. Seems like he has landed in Krakow, and is hanging out with his hero Penderecki in spectacular surroundings:

33690987_10214642454069497_5604189888938

33579975_10214642453549484_4274899645424

It was a joke you know.  What beautiful country.  Penderecki hasn't changed in decades. 

Just came back from the concert. Really enjoyed the concerto. Something between icy Charles Ives and film noir. Very cool.

This was the programme:

Programme:

Krzysztof Penderecki — Three Pieces in Baroque Style
Elliot Goldenthal — Concerto for Trumpet and Strings [dedicated to Tadeusz Kościuszko, world premier]
Michael Nyman — The Piano for Strings

Krzysztof Penderecki — Threnody to the Victims of Hiroshima for 52 Strings
Krzysztof Penderecki — Symphony No.  2,  I-II Moderato — Allegretto
Krzysztof Penderecki — Polymorphia for 48 strings
Krzysztof Penderecki — Symphony No. 3, IV Passacaglia — Allegro Moderato

Tine Thing Helseth — trumpet
National Polish Radio Symphony Orchestra
Dirk Brossé — conductor

It is also worth (or not) mentioning I had a minor accident in my room a few hours before the concert. Slipped in the shower and smashed into a glass cubicle cutting myself all over my body (thankfully not head fir the most part). Lot of glass and blood on the floor... But got to the concert as they ended up being mostly superficial. That Penderecki music was a fitting coda to my day. 😂

Karol

42 minutes ago, crocodile said:

It is also worth (or not) mentioning I had a minor accident in my room a few hours before the concert. Slipped in the shower and smashed into a glass cubicle cutting myself all over my body (thankfully not head fir the most part). Lot of glass and blood on the floor... But got to the concert as they ended up being mostly superficial. That Penderecki music was a fitting coda to my day. 😂

Were you trying to pull a Goldenthal!?

Ouch, Karol! I'm happy you came out OK, all things considered.

The concert looks great. Wish I could have been there. Also wish the Goldenthal piece will be recorded and released (added to the long list of unreleased Goldenthal works).

I cut my foot open on the corner of a shower stall when I was a kid.  First of two times I would need to get stitches in my life!  So much blood...

Tell me about it. Thankfully, I didn't need any. Having a nurse parent with you does help. So it's healing quite well.

Since we're in the Goldenthal thread. I visited a local music bookstore and they had those two beauties in stock (on Amazon they would cost me £100 by now). Goldenthal visits this place quite often and he happened to bring those in the other day:

IMG_20180601_144021121_HDR.jpg

Karol

Cool! I already have THE STONE CUTTERS album, but I've procrastinated on OTHELLO since I already have the old ballett version on Varese.

On 31/05/2018 at 3:43 PM, Jay said:

I cut my foot open on the corner of a shower stall when I was a kid.  First of two times I would need to get stitches in my life!  So much blood...

I cut a 7 cm piece out of the sole of my right foot on our post school graduation trip, when a floor tile in a swimming pool was missing a corner. So much blood indeed! A friend fished the missing bit out of the water and they tried to sew it back on at the local clinic, but failed (not for lack of trying, a bit over 20 stitches, even though the anesthetics didn't work), so they transferred me to a hospital and managed to do it there (with working anesthetics, fortunately).

12 hours ago, Taikomochi said:

So Goldenthal just brings copies of his albums to bookstores?  That’s really endearing.

Or desperate. 😂

Karol

OK so Final Fantasia, as it's called, featured mostly the most Wagnerian, wondrous and tonal material from the score Race To Old New York,The Kiss (I think), Zeus Cannon, Adagio & Transfiguration etc. The Toccata and Dreamscapes matetial is completely absent. But that's understandable given the fact Goldenthal already re-used all this material for his Symphony in G Sharp Minor. It's a very pleasant suite and one his most accessible as well. But boy, does this short fella know how to make some noise!

Karol

I unfortunately can’t make it! A pity, I was looking forward to it but it doesn’t suit this weekend.

I would definitely have considered a trip to Ireland for that if it hadn't clashed with 1) my own choir concert tomorrow and 2) the fact that I'm already flying to London for CE3K next week.

1 hour ago, Batman's Diet Coke said:

He looks good.

I thought the same in all the recent pics I've seen.  I saw him in 2005 and during the Symphony in G# minor premiere in 2014 and he looks better now than ever.  He had addiction issues which I hope he's been able to conquer since he has taken a step back from the Hollywood system and focused more on passion projects.  I wish him all prosperity and productivity. 

I have seen him a couple of times over the last years and I had the same conclusion. He looks and talks better.

Yeah, there is a definite improvement. I've seen him in Krakow in 2012, 2014, 2015 and this year and it's clearly getting better.

Karol

That's good to hear! He was really rather terrible in 2012. Both endlessly drunk and suffering from his accident ailment at the same time.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know when the RTE All Goldenthal concert will be broadcast?  I understand it was recorded to be broadcast on the radio at a later date but have trouble finding any specifics.

• 3 months later...

Lovely new interview with Goldenthal, where he and the host cover his formative years and musical education, as well as sharing anecdotes about Copland and Corigliano. They don't go into too much detail about his film career, sadly, but I was thrilled to hear Goldenthal rank Heat as one of his top 3 scores. And he reveals that his next project will be a Gloria Steinem biopic directed by Julie Taymor...

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Fans of Goldenthal will like to know there is a new concert work to be premiered in December 2019 by the Pacific Symphony Orchestra who previously commissioned his oratorio "Fire, Water, Paper" and Symphony in G#.

Dec. 5-7, 2019 • 8 p.m.
Carl St.Clair, conductor
Vadym Kholodenko, piano
GOLDENTHAL: Adagio for Carl’s 30th (World premiere)
PROKOFIEV: Piano Concerto No. 3
BEETHOVEN: Symphony No. 7

On 2/11/2019 at 6:15 PM, karelm said:

Fans of Goldenthal will like to know there is a new concert work to be premiered in December 2019 by the Pacific Symphony Orchestra who previously commissioned his oratorio "Fire, Water, Paper" and Symphony in G#.

Dec. 5-7, 2019 • 8 p.m.
Carl St.Clair, conductor
Vadym Kholodenko, piano
GOLDENTHAL: Adagio for Carl’s 30th (World premiere)
PROKOFIEV: Piano Concerto No. 3
BEETHOVEN: Symphony No. 7

Cool, thanks for the info. Would love to hear it in some way.

8 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Is he still alive though?

He is, I had a good conversation with him last year. He looked and responded so much better, than a couple of years before.

11 hours ago, Lewya said:

Goldenthal is the most exciting film composer alive imo.

That's some bold achievement for someone who hasn't written any major film music for about 15 years.

15 hours ago, Caliburn said:

He is, I had a good conversation with him last year. He looked and responded so much better, than a couple of years before.

That sounds like you visited your grandfather in the hospital when he had a good day!

:(

• 5 months later...

New concert work.  Elliot's Adagio for Carl's 30th will receive it's world premiere this December, 2019. 

https://www.pacificsymphony.org/tickets/concert/beethoven_seventh/20098?fbclid=IwAR1Bp-ws3FfGUepajYCzqrjAeoF1F40NCpS51UVAUqaIflRCk5ksCQ5nlCg

7 hours ago, karelm said:

New concert work.  Elliot's Adagio for Carl's 30th will receive it's world premiere this December, 2019. 

https://www.pacificsymphony.org/tickets/concert/beethoven_seventh/20098?fbclid=IwAR1Bp-ws3FfGUepajYCzqrjAeoF1F40NCpS51UVAUqaIflRCk5ksCQ5nlCg

Was Carl St. Clair also a composer? (I can google, but I'm too lazy).

• 2 months later...