The Shadow Knows... Do you?

Has anyone here seen The Shadow? I really like the movie, but not too many people I know have seen it. Goldsmith's score is brilliant. Very dark, but there is a great love theme that lifts you right up. The soundtrack is next to impossible to get because it was discontinued, though it really is great music. I have the score, and I won't sell it, but I am curious to see who else has seen it.

~Conor

Hell, I'll one up you. I saw The Shadow in the THEATER when it first came out!

I remember enjoying it quite a bit, especially the score. I'd throw a sheet over my head and pretend I was the Shadow with my young cousin and I'd hum the theme song.

Apparently, though I don't remeber because I was eight at the time, I saw it in theaters too. I never threw a sheet over my head though. But I did get two opportunities to dress up as him, once for halloween of '94, once this year in spirit week at school. Ha, beat that.

~Conor

Hey Ive seen that film and I like it too. Im surprised not that many people have heard of it. Music was rather good too.

Hmmm that made me think about searching for the soundtrack now. I must be able to find it somewhere :mrgreen:

I saw it once opening day. That was enough. I don't remember the score. My buddy has it. Maybe I'll give it a listen.

Neil

I'll be getting the score soon, so I'll let you know as soon as I hear it.

Director - listening to The Goonies (Grusin) and finding it exciting

• 18 years later...

Oh, my, it's wonderful that 2-decades-old conversations can be picked up just like that! :jerry: 

And I still love the score to The Shadow, as well as the movie itself. My friends even scheduled a viewing of it into my bachelor party in 2011.

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Btw, is @RomanticStrings related to @Sweeping Strings?

@Jurassic Shark, not that I am aware of.

2 minutes ago, RomanticStrings said:

Oh, my, it's wonderful that 2-decades-old conversations can be picked up just like that! :jerry: 

And I still love the score to The Shadow, as well as the movie itself. My friends even scheduled a viewing of it into my bachelor party in 2011.

Frankly, I didn't expect to get an answer from you, but it's very cool that you're still around! :)

I recently bought the Australian release of the blu-ray. Nice grainy picture, looks completely untampered with.

I have two copies of the score. It's probably my favourite Goldsmith score, so I wanted another one incase one got broken!

17 hours ago, RomanticStrings said:

I'd just like to confirm this. My remaining relatives are my mother and sister, neither of whom would have the slightest interest in this site (or in my mother's case, in the internet in general).  

This thread made want to listen to The Phantom for the first time, as The Shadow is one of my favorite Goldsmith scores. And from what I've heard, The Phantom sounds like it is a really, really fun score. It's sold out at La La Land, correct?

3 minutes ago, Romão said:

This thread made want to listen to The Phantom for the first time, as The Shadow is one of my favorite Goldsmith scores. And from what I've heard, The Phantom sounds like it is a really, really fun score. It's sold out at La La Land, correct?

I don't know, but the (superior) OST should be widely available, especially after people 'upgraded' (or, as I see it, 'downgraded') to the LLL expansion and got rid of their old albums.

7 minutes ago, Thor said:

I don't know, but the (superior) OST should be widely available, especially after people 'upgraded' (or, as I see it, 'downgraded') to the LLL expansion and got rid of their old albums.

Oh great, for some reason. I thought the La La Edition was the premiere release of the score

11 minutes ago, Thor said:

Have you heard the expansion? Does it add much unreleased music?

I cautiously sampled it once - a digital promo upon release - but quickly discarded it. There's about 30 minutes extra music, but I didn't want to give any of it more attention than I needed; just enough to say that I had "heard it". I don't want my experience of this great score (and score presentation) 'tainted' by this kind of stuff.

2 hours ago, Thor said:

I cautiously sampled it once - a digital promo upon release - but quickly discarded it. There's about 30 minutes extra music, but I didn't want to give any of it more attention than I needed; just enough to say that I had "heard it". I don't want my experience of this great score (and score presentation) 'tainted' by this kind of stuff.

Extra tracks are all shit. Goldsmith should have been ashamed of composing it.

15 minutes ago, PuhgreÞiviÞm said:

Extra tracks are all shit. Goldsmith should have been ashamed of composing it.

Are we talking about The Shadow or The Phantom?

In The Shadow Intrada release, "The Clouded Mind" is wonderful, with its Dies irae and either that or the following track's funky rhythms/awesome horns.

1 minute ago, RomanticStrings said:

Are we talking about The Shadow or The Phantom?

In The Shadow Intrada release, "The Clouded Mind" is wonderful, with its Dies irae and either that or the following track's funky rhythms/awesome horns.

The extra Newman tracks are a disgrace too. He should be ashamed of them.