The Official Bob Dylan Thread

Koray Savas

I never liked Dylan. Nasally, non-rhythmic singing applied to temp tracks he randomly pulls out of a box with no consideration to how the lyrics and music fit together.

I do a pretty awesome impersonation of how terrible Dylan sounds. :)

I'd like to know where you found out that he uses temp tracks. He writes the lyrics and the music, unlike about 99% of the people you call musicians today.

I can understand how you can not like his voice, but that just shows your lack of understanding of his music.

Congratulations on making yourself look like an ignorant asshole with that post.

I never liked Dylan. Nasally, non-rhythmic singing applied to temp tracks he randomly pulls out of a box with no consideration to how the lyrics and music fit together.

I do a pretty awesome impersonation of how terrible Dylan sounds. :)

I'd like to know where you found out that he uses temp tracks. He writes the lyrics and the music, unlike about 99% of the people you call musicians today.

I can understand how you can not like his voice, but that just shows your lack of understanding of his music.

Congratulations on making yourself look like an ignorant asshole with that post.

"Temp tracks," indeed...! I doubt Bob would even know what a temp track is.

Come to think of it, I don't know what a temp track is, except in the filmmaking sense.

I do a pretty awesome impersonation of how terrible Dylan sounds. :rolleyes:

I love how people throw out the "lack of understanding." Funny how when someone doesn't like something they simply don't understand. The temp track thing was a joke, I realize he writes his own stuff. I said it because his music rarely seems to match his lyrics. Or maybe his lyrics are just so choppy, broken up, and half drunk sounding that the music itself is fine. That being said with all the Dylan I've heard over the years, I can't really call any of his music (note: music in the technical term, without the lyrics) genius or memorable.

And I was never attacking you guys for liking Dylan. My statement wasn't even a very asshole thing to say, frankly. You know damn well many other people could have said something a lot worse.

And damn, back to the "understanding" thing. What an elitist thing to say. Music is to be enjoyed, not "understood."

EDIT: Oh, I'd also like to add that there's no one out there "today" who I consider good musicians. As far as I'm concerned 90% of musical talent peaked before 1985.

If you don't understand something, of course it's not going to be enjoyed. If you actually listened to the lyrics, and not just the music itself alone, you would appreciate it. The lyrics aren't anything difficult to comprehend. Every song is just a personal story to Dylan. His music and his voice match his lyrics perfectly. Just listen!

Who the hell divides music and lyrics? Take away the lyrics and just listen to the music, nothing is genius or memorable. That's the same thing as saying: take away the trumpets and violins from John Williams' scores, nothing is genius or memorable.

I do a pretty awesome impersonation of how terrible Dylan sounds. ;)

I love how people throw out the "lack of understanding." Funny how when someone doesn't like something they simply don't understand. The temp track thing was a joke, I realize he writes his own stuff. I said it because his music rarely seems to match his lyrics. Or maybe his lyrics are just so choppy, broken up, and half drunk sounding that the music itself is fine. That being said with all the Dylan I've heard over the years, I can't really call any of his music (note: music in the technical term, without the lyrics) genius or memorable.

And I was never attacking you guys for liking Dylan. My statement wasn't even a very asshole thing to say, frankly. You know damn well many other people could have said something a lot worse.

And damn, back to the "understanding" thing. What an elitist thing to say. Music is to be enjoyed, not "understood."

EDIT: Oh, I'd also like to add that there's no one out there "today" who I consider good musicians. As far as I'm concerned 90% of musical talent peaked before 1985.

Here's my thing: if you don't like Bob Dylan -- which you obviously don't -- then why would you involve yourself in a thread devoted to his music? Obviously, it's going to be populated by people who do like his music, and don't have any particular interest in hearing how nasally his voice is for the umpteenth time. We understand that it's nasally. We like it that way.

Why would you want to get in the middle of that and start trashing the guy? If you're walking through the mall and hear a group of people talking about something you don't like, do you then insert yourself into the middle of the group and start telling them how much what they're talking about sucks? Same thing here, and other than being belligerent and self-obsessed, there's no excuse for it. If that's how you want to live your life, fine; don't expect to not be called out for it, though.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have a copy of that -- a mistake I should remedy.

I'm currently listening to a bootleg a friend of mine turned up somewhere online: recording sessions for Nasville Skyline featuring Bob and Johnny Cash. Basically, it's the two of them farting around in the studio, so it's sloppy as heck. But if you like Dylan's country phase and have no problems with Cash (and why would you?), then it's a damn fine listen.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally got my copy of Tell Tale Signs. I have only gotten through the first disc so far, but here are a few reactions:

(1) "Mississippi" (Time Out of Mind version #1): This is one of Dylan's better songs of the last two decades, and it's fascinating to hear this different version. I think I actually prefer this version to the released one, but it'll take a few more listens before I can say for sure.

(2) "Most of the Time" (alternate version): Minus Daniel Lanois' soundscape, this really is a different song. Personally, I prefer the original, but this version is great, too.

(3) "Dignity" (piano demo): This one is merely okay. I'm not a huge fan of the song to begin with; this version doesn't change my mind, it's still just okay.

(4) "Someday Baby": Very, very good. I prefer this version to the one on Modern Times.

(5) "Red River Shore": This never-before-released song from the Time Our of Mind sessions was said to be one of THE highlights of Tell Tale Signs, and I'll have to own up to being severely disappointed by it. It's not a bad song, it just didn't seem to really go anywhere. But I've only heard it once, and my opinion of songs has been known to change radically once I've listened to them a few times.

(6) "Tell Ol' Bill" (alternate version): Now THIS is a standout. I never quite managed to like the original version from North Country, but I immediately fell in love with this version.

(7) "Born In Time" (Oh Mercy version): Same goes for this one. I like the original (from Under the Red Sky) pretty well, but it's not one of my faves. This version is about five times better, an instant classic.

(8) "Can't Wait" (alternate version): Another case in which I prefer the alternate version to the original. This version has wonderful energy; it was already a pretty great song, and this version is even better.

(9) "Everything Is Broken" (alternate version): I've never much cared for "Everything Is Broken"; this version does not change my mind.

(10) "Dreamin' of You": Like "Red River Shore," I was disappointed by this supposed lost gem. Not bad; just not one I connect with. But, again, that may change after a few listens.

(11) "Huck's Tune": Good song, nothing special.

(12) "Marchin' to the City": A third unreleased song from the Time Out of Mind sessions, this one is easily my favorite, and probably should have been on the album in the first place.

(13) "High Water" (live): Dylan's band is in fine form on this performance. Better than the album version...? May be.

Looking forward to disc two.

Finished Disc 2 of Tell Tale Signs.

(1) "Mississippi" (unreleased version #2): Man, "Mississippi" is a frickin' great song. The alternate version on Disc 1 underlined that fact; this version underlines it a second time. The guy who wrote the liner notes said that he could listen to an entire album of different takes of the song, and I agree.

(2) "32-20 Blues": This unreleased cut from World Gone Wrong is pretty fine. It makes me want to go back and listen to World Gone Wrong again, because if a song this good was left off...

(3) "Series of Dreams" (alternate version): The original version was on the very first Bootleg Series release, and it is one of my favorite Dylan songs of the last thirty years. This version is basically the same thing, only not quite as polished instrumentally. Therefore, it's a good song, but kinda pointless. (Although the lyrics might be different; I can't remember the original well enough to say.)

(4) "God Knows" (alternate version): Like Disc 1's "Born In Time," this is a superior version of a song from Under the Red Sky. That is one of my least favorite Dylan albums, but I'm starting to see that it might have been the production that was to blame, not the songs.

(5) "Can't Escape From You": Typing this, I can't even remember this song, so I guess it didn't make much of an impression.

(6) "Dignity" (unreleased version): Well, all of a sudden, I love "Dignity." I'm not a big fan of the original version, or of the piano demo on Disc 1, but this version is awesome.

(7) "Ring Them Bells" (live): This track from one of Dylan's more celebrated modern live shows is an excellent version of a song I've never loved. Still don't, but I definitely like this performance.

(8) "Cocaine Blues" (live): Another fine live performance, this time of a song Dylan used to play a lot in his early days.

(9) "Ain't Talkin' " (alternate version): The original is great, but I think I like this slightly stripped-down version even better.

(10) "The Girl on the Greenbriar Shore" (live): I'd be a liar if I didn't say that this song bored me a little. It's not bad, though.

(11) "Lonesome Day Blues" (live): Is it just me, or does this recording sound like it really is a bootleg? Doesn't matter; this is an awesome performance of one of Dylan's hardest-rocking blues songs.

(12) "Miss the Mississippi": This one, which was cut from World Gone Wrong, makes me want to revisit that album, because if a song this good was cut...

(13) "The Lonesome River": I don't know much about Ralph Stanley, but I love his voice on this track. Very good bluegrassy song.

(14): " 'Cross the Green Mountain": The liner notes make the bold claim that this "might be [Dylan's] finest hour as a songwriter." I don't know if I can agree with that, but this song -- which I was already familiar with -- is surely one of THE best he has written since, say, Desire in the late '70s. How this one missed out on an Oscar is a mystery to me.

Looking forward to listening to Disc 3, which I, um, borrowed from a friend.

I do a pretty awesome impersonation of how terrible Dylan sounds. :lol:

man you should be banned for talking like that, :lol:

there is one guy at B&N who like Dylan, and likes to play his "music", but we have so many customer complaints about the garbage or noise we're playing that he's been told unless its on the B&N inhouse play list he can't play Dylan anymore. I think as a songwriter he's fine, but that voice is beyond bad. Sadly this month dylan in on the B&N play list.

I can understand why people can't deal with Dylan's voice, especially his modern voice, which might be kindly called craggly.

But I maintain that Dylan knows how to use his voice extremely well, and he tends to write songs tailored to that voice. It works better in some cases than in others, I guess.

I can understand why people can't deal with Dylan's voice, especially his modern voice, which might be kindly called craggly.

But I maintain that Dylan knows how to use his voice extremely well, and he tends to write songs tailored to that voice. It works better in some cases than in others, I guess.

I don't think he's a bad singer at all. I've heard some covers of his songs, and other people's take at them just don't sound as good. He can sing better than me, so to me he's pretty good, especially for his type of songs.

So have any die-hard fans actually bought the special edition of Tell-Tale Signs, with the extra disk and book and stuff? You know, the one that will cost you a week's salary!

Not me. I'm a die-hard fan, but I'm not a die-hard collector, and I draw the line at shenanigans like this one. In principle, I've got no objection to paying $130 for a box set of Dylan rarities. However, when the two-disc edition is $20, and the three-disc edition is $130, something has gone seriously wrong. Why not put out a $30 three-disc edition, and a $130 collector's edition with whatever it is that makes one want to collect such a thing? That way, collectors can still be served without denying fans the music itself.

As it is, I would imagine quite a few people skipped buying the two-disc set, figuring that if they're going to be illegally downloading the third disc, there's no point in paying for the other two, either. Again, not me: I shelled out my $20 like a law-abiding citizen. And did I later download Disc 3...? I'll take the fifth, yer honor.

My first exposure to Bob Dylan was that Todd Haynes film I'm Not There.

I have to say, wow. The songs handpicked for the film are awesome, and while I'm mixed on some of the story aspects (such as Richard Gere's storyline), the performances by Cate Blanchett, Christian Bale and Ben Whislaw are fantastic.

• 4 months later...

There's a two-disc edition, which Amazon currently has for $25. I'm going to get that one, I think, but I have no clue what difference there is between the regular edition and that one. Probably a DVD or something.

Oh ho. I didn't know it was already listed on Amazon. I'll get the Deluxe Edition as well. His official site has different cover art than what Amazon shows. Maybe they don't have it yet and just put a picture of him instead.

Picture1-1.png

Well all the fine details are out.

The Deluxe Edition is actually a 3-disc set. First disc containing the new album material, second disc containing selections from Dylan's radio show, and the third disc is a DVD with interviews.

I'm not that interested in the second disc, but I would like to see those interviews. Hmm, $10 more for some interviews? Tough decision for me.

I don't know which version I'll get but I'm leaning towards the standard edition.

Same. None of the songs on the second disc are by Dylan. The standard edition is only $9.99 on Amazon. I'll get that.

• 2 weeks later...

It's a decent earthy blues number. I like it. I hope the CD is more like "Time Out of Mind". Judging by the teaser download track it could be a very good album. If so that would make 4 great Dylan albums in a row. He hasn't managed that since the early 70s!

• 4 weeks later...

I got it for my birthday last Tuesday. Hmmm. Not sure what to think.

Highlights:

Beyond Here Lies Nothing (great track!)

Forgetful Heart (very nice)

I Feel a Change Coming On (Again, nice classic feel)

Forgettable tracks:

Life is Hard (WHY oh WHY does Dylan insist on singing these awful loungecore style songs these days?)

My Wife's Home Town

and most of the rest of the album...

Overall it feels like a CD of outtakes that weren't good enough for Love and Theft. This is Dylan's weakest album since Under the Red Sky.

Still, it's not that bad. It got me back on a Dylan kick. Went out and bought 10 Dylan CDs I didn't own yet as they all seem to be around five bucks on Amazon.

It's not that I think it's bad as such. It's Dylan so it's still pretty entertaining! I'm just a little disappointed as it seems like a much less involved album than the last three. After hearing Beyond Here Lies Nothing online a couple of weeks ago I was expecting a CD of more or less that quality throughout. I was hoping for another "Time Out of Mind"!

Yeah "Beyond Here Lies Nothing'" really got me excited. I was pretty surprised when it was followed up with "Life Is Hard." They're decent songs, but I don't know, they just don't connect as much as his other songs.

• 3 months later...

Bob Dylan already has a new album coming out for the holiday season, entitled Christmas In The Heart, now available for pre-order on Amazon.

From the e-mail I received:

christmas_cover.jpg

Christmas In The Heart will be the 47th album from Bob Dylan, and follows his worldwide chart-topping Together Through Life, released earlier this year. Songs performed by Dylan on this new album include, "Here Comes Santa Claus," "Winter Wonderland," "Little Drummer Boy" and "Must Be Santa."

All of Bob Dylan's U.S. royalties from sales of these recordings will be donated to Feeding America, guaranteeing that more than four million meals will be provided to more than 1.4 million people in need in this country during this year's holiday season. Bob Dylan is also donating all of his future U.S. royalties from this album to Feeding America in perpetuity.

Additionally, Bob Dylan is partnering with two international charities to provide meals during the holidays for millions in need in the United Kingdom and the developing world, and will be donating all of his future international royalties from Christmas In The Heart to those organizations in perpetuity. Details regarding the international partnerships will be announced next week.

Bob Dylan commented, "It's a tragedy that more than 35 million people in this country alone -- 12 million of those children -- often go to bed hungry and wake up each morning unsure of where their next meal is coming from. I join the good people of Feeding America in the hope that our efforts can bring some food security to people in need during this holiday season."

Well, I love Bob Dylan, and I love Christmas music, so I guess this one is a no-brainer for me.

What an odd idea, though.

It'll be interesting to see how it turns out. It's the kind of thing where if Dylan is actually engaged in the process, it'll probably be great; but if he's just doing it out of some sense of obligation, or to fulfill a contractual requirement or something, it might well turn out to be one of the worst things ever recorded.