The Official Bob Dylan Thread

Koray Savas

Hello,

We're writing to let you know you'll receive a Bonus CD with your recent order for B0040GJ312.

"Bob Dylan: In Concert, Brandeis University, 1963" has never been heard, bootlegged or circulated in any way and will arrive to you with the CD you've ordered.

We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Sincerely,

Customer Service Department

Amazon.com

Kick ass!

• 6 months later...

dylanpreheader.jpg

Introducing the officially licensed Bob Dylan Archive from Box Of Vision.

It is now available for preorder at

www.BoxOfVision.com, and will begin shipping no later than April 15.

The beautiful and luxurious, linen covered show-case includes:

• Unique storage for the official, chronological Bob Dylan CD catalog (CDs not included). Designed specifically for all 43 CDs, it can store 48 CDs and is expandable to hold more.

• The most comprehensive collection of full size Bob Dylan LP artwork ever

(from 1962's Bob Dylan through 2009's Christmas in the Heart)... digitally restored and available together for the first time... in a 220 page book of LP sized reproductions.

• A brand new, unique discography... with excerpts from over 90 historical reviews and 27 classic advertisements.... spanning Bob Dylan's entire career.

It is a gorgeous, one of a kind collection. More information is available

here.

The first edition print run is limited to 10,000 copies, so reserve your copy now.

It is available for $130 (US), £85 (UK), 100 Euros (EU). Order before April 1 and it will ship to you for free anywhere in the US or EU.

Click here for details.

dylanprefooter.jpg

I pre-ordered, but will probably end up canceling it. I don't like the idea of putting everything into a binder. I'd rather have all the CDs on my shelf. Not to mention my collection is a mixed bag of jewel cases, digipacks, and small sets for the Bootleg Series. I've always wondered why there was never a "Complete Bob Dylan Collection" set though, and this might be the closest thing to it that we'll see for awhile.

I'd like to take this opportunity to share that Bob fast becoming one of my favourite artists of all time, having been introduced to his music about 12 months ago.

I currently own "Blood on the Tracks" and "The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan". I listen to them a lot. I will buy another album once I've saved up some money.

That is all.

Run, don't walk, to your local CD shop and buy "Blonde on Blonde". Then get "Highway 61 Revisited", "Bringing it All Back Home", and "Time Out of Mind". Then, only then, a Jedi will you be.

Those are the only albums you've heard?!

No, they are the only ones I own. I've heard a lot of his music, but owning it is a different thing. I can't afford all of his albums at once so I'm going one at a time, not in any particular order.

Let's not forget Desire or his self-titled debut.

Pixie, do you have the Mono set of his first eight albums, by any chance?

No I didn't pick it up. Have you heard it? How does it sound? I got the Beatles mono box, and it's a mixed bag. The earlier albums sound amazing in Mono, but some of the later ones sounded better in the stereo mix.

I was asking you for the same reason :lol:

I want them, but don't know if it's worth it because I already have like 6 of the 8 albums or something like that. With The Beatles, you probably need both box sets to get the best listening experience. Didn't they stop doing mono and starting recording in stereo at a certain point? That could be why some of the later ones don't sound as good, because they weren't meant for mono. I only have the Stereo Remasters though, and it all sounds good to me.

In my stack of bought but un-listened to cds:

Christmas in the Heart

Infidels

Bringing It All Back Home

Desire

Nashville Skyline

Bootleg Series Vol. 4 Live 1964

Christmas In The Heart is great fun. It's so crazy and just plain funny that I enjoy it to pieces. Besides, it was all worth it just for the music video for Must Be Santa:

I wanna party at Bobby's place!

• 1 year later...

I have a quick Bob Dylan question: Today, I purchased a CD of "Dylan (A Fool Such as I)" from my local charity store, for the princely sum of £2.99 - that's about $4.50, in pristine condition, I might add! The curious thing is that it is on the Columbia label, and not on the (MCA?) label.

I am aware of the history of the album, so...have I just got an incredibly good bargain, or are there more like that out there?

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Guess it's happening. Inside my Another Self Portrait case was a slip advertising the Complete Album Collection.

- All 41 official albums, including 14 newly remastered titles

- Side Tracks - 2CD compilation of previously released songs not included on the original albums

- All the original artwork reproduced

- Hardcover booklet with extensive new liner notes and rare photos

I guess this omits compilation sets? Don't know how many albums he has off the top of my head. Also wonder if the Bootleg Series is included. If so, for shame. Advertise a better version of what I just bought inside of it? Damn them, they know us Dylan fans will fork it over again.

He has 35 studio albums so I dunno how they got 41. I doubt the bootleg series are included. The additional 6 albums are likely either live CDs or compilation albums I guess... hard to say.

EDIT: Is it possible to figure it out from the picture?

Complete_Album_Collection.jpg

Also, found this online:

I counted. This is how I get it to 41 albums. I'm sure we're talking 41 albums here (plus the 2 CD's with non-album tracks), not 41 CD's total. I didn't include "The 30th Anniversary Concert Celebration".
Studio albums
1. Bob Dylan
2. The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan
3. The Times They Are a-Changin'
4. Another Side of Bob Dylan
5. Bringing It All Back Home
6. Highway 61 Revisited
7. Blonde on Blonde
8. John Wesley Harding
9. Nashville Skyline
10. Self Portrait
11. New Morning
12. Pat Garrett & Billy The Kid
13. Dylan
14. Planet Waves
15. Blood on the Tracks
16. The Basement Tapes
17. Desire
18. Street Legal
19. Slow Train Coming
20. Saved
21. Shot of Love
22. Infidels
23. Empire Burlesque
24. Knocked Out Loaded
25. Down in the Groove
26. Oh Mercy
27. Under the Red Sky
28. Good as I Been to You
29. World Gone Wrong
30. Time Out of Mind
31. Love and Theft
32. Modern Times
33. Tougher Through Life
34. Christmas in the Heart
35. Tempest
Live albums
36. Before the Flood
37. Hard Rain
38. Bob Dylan at Budokan
39. Real Live
40. Dylan & the Dead
41. MTV Unplugged

http://www.iorr.org/talk/read.php?1,1913498,page=1

Yes, I think Columbia retained rights to release all his music a few years ago when they released all his music as an iTunes exclusive. Even the infamous "Dylan" album was included and as you can see it's here now.

• 1 year later...

Has anyone else besides me heard Shadows In The Night? I wasn't impressed with my first listen, but after reading this excellent interview, I want to go back and give it a proper listen.

I'm bummed that I missed out on the complete Basement Tapes box set when it was $80 on Amazon. Thought it would last at that price longer than it did, and now it seems it's gonna stay at $120 for awhile.

Not at all. I seriously doubt Dylan has contractual obligations at this point in his career. In the interview I linked to, he says he wishes he could just give his music away for free, so the act of Columbia selling his albums is probably the only obligation he has.

I also finally gave Lost On The River a spin, and really liked it. Songs newly recorded using never recorded Dylan lyrics from 1967 during the Basement Tapes era. Written and performed by a supergroup consisting of Elvis Costello, Marcus Mumford, Taylor Goldsmith, Jim James, and Rhiannon Giddens.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 years later...

I find every phase of his career fascinating and enjoyable in some respect.  Even the recent Sinatra phase.

His 2012 album Tempest is so good.  My favorite 21st century Dylan.

12 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Been rediscovering 90s Dylan. Probably my favorite era of his career. I adore the lucid dreamlike sound of songs like this:

If Oh Mercy counts as 90s, then I vote for "Ring Them Bells"

4 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I find every phase of his career fascinating and enjoyable in some respect.  Even the recent Sinatra phase.

His 2012 album Tempest is so good.  My favorite 21st century Dylan.

If Oh Mercy counts as 90s, then I vote for "Ring Them Bells"

Same. I even dig the born again Christian era.

Tempest is also one of my favorites. “Tin Angel” is sublime.

18 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

"Gotta Serve Somebody" is a jam!!

“The Groom’s Still Waiting At The Altar” as well. 

5 hours ago, Jay said:

!

I’m gonna have to retract this as I mistakenly thought Oh Mercy and Love And Theft were 90s albums. Time Out Of Mind is really the only one I love. 

• 2 years later...

A mate and his missus went to see Dylan live, and I met up with them in the pub afterwards ... due to Bob's thing of rearranging the live versions of his songs to the extent that they're unrecognisable, they hated it. Most of the crowd apparently left before the end.   

3 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

:wizard:

Today is Bob Dylan's 80th birthday.

Play some, Bob, today, and play it fucking loud!!!

I will play Highway 61 Revisited later on today! 

13 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

A mate and his missus went to see Dylan live, and I met up with them in the pub afterwards ... due to Bob's thing of rearranging the live versions of his songs to the extent that they're unrecognisable, they hated it. Most of the crowd apparently left before the end.   

I’ve heard stories like this but I saw him live and it was great! 

I used to be more of an active Dylan fan than I am today, so most of my takes on his discography are held over opinions from my late teens/early 20s.  One album I still return to every now and again is the live album he released with The Band, Before the Flood  Great record!

Happy (belated) birthday to Bob! Never been a big fan, although I did own at least one album on cassette back in the day (I think it was HIGHWAY 61 REVISITED). And I've liked a great deal of his songs as performed by others - be it Manfred Mann's Earthband or Bruce Springsteen or whatever.