"The Reivers" Suite for Narrator and Orchestra

TownerFan

Isn't this one of the loveliest pieces Williams ever did? I was listening to it yesterday after a long time and it gave me a lot of thrills. I can't wait to hear it live next November in Chicago... :)

I especially love the jaunty tuba solo that depicts the yellow Wynton Flyer and the exuberant scherzo which describes the final horse race. These two sections are nowhere found on the original soundtrack. Did Williams composed these pieces especially for the suite or are they unreleased sections of the original score? I saw the movie a looong time ago, so I can't remember.

I'm afraid I can't help you with the technical info. you request, but I do agree with you, it's a wonderfully nostalgiac and colourful piece. I see it almost as a robustly masculine companion piece to Copland's beautifully evocative "Knoxville: The Summer of 1915." I love the end, particularly - so triumphant.

Did Williams composed these pieces especially for the suite or are they unreleased sections of the original score? I saw the movie a looong time ago, so I can't remember.

I remember listening out for some of these sections when I last watched the movie but they did not show up where expected (e.g. the climactic horse race, where the music is quite different from that heard in the narrated suite). I therefore assume that Williams composed those portions specially for the suite.

Maurizio, you are in for a treat if you get the chance to hear it live. I saw the LSO perform it in 1998 with Oliver Ford Davies as narrator. Having been used to Burgess Meredith's charming narration, I was worried that it would sound a bit weird with an English actor narrating, but it actually worked really well. It's all in the delivery and sentiment, you see, not the accent!

I remember listening out for some of these sections when I last watched the movie but they did not show up where expected (e.g. the climactic horse race, where the music is quite different from that heard in the narrated suite). I therefore assume that Williams composed those portions specially for the suite.

Maurizio, you are in for a treat if you get the chance to hear it live. I saw the LSO perform it in 1998 with Oliver Ford Davies as narrator. Having been used to Burgess Meredith's charming narration, I was worried that it would sound a bit weird with an English actor narrating, but it actually worked really well. It's all in the delivery and sentiment, you see, not the accent!

Thanks for your tip. Oh, I can't wait to hear it live indeed (as well as many other pieces he will perform in those concerts, dare I say! ^_^) and I'm definitely looking forward to it as one of the highlights. The narrator in the Chicago concert will be Former Senator Alan Simpson (which I guess isn't an actor, so I hope we will be up to the task).

Did Williams composed these pieces especially for the suite or are they unreleased sections of the original score? I saw the movie a looong time ago, so I can't remember.

The horse race was composed just for the suite.

I want the concert suite with no narration

I'm glad he recorded with the beautiful narration, as it was intended when he composed the suite.

I'm afraid I can't help you with the technical info. you request, but I do agree with you, it's a wonderfully nostalgiac and colourful piece. I see it almost as a robustly masculine companion piece to Copland's beautifully evocative "Knoxville: The Summer of 1915." I love the end, particularly - so triumphant.

That is Samuel Barber, not Copland.

• 7 years later...

These pieces do not appear in the film at all, so they're probably composed for the suite, and they certainly sound like concert versions.

However, I don't know if it's also possible that they're originally alternates and unused? I should check the liner notes of my Stage & Screen CD.

Whatever's the case, they seem to complement the album rather than 'replace' cues already on the album:

The first piece seems to fit the scene where Ned takes the car for a wild drive, which in the film is underscored with silly source music.

The second piece seems to fit the (first) horse race quite well (though it's slightly longer), which goes unscored in the film.

Maybe if we get James Fitzpatrick of Tadlow to re-record the entire REIVERS score he could add this suite with and with out the dialogue. He does include such pieces as bonus cues. So if it were to happen this would be a perfect opportunity to have the music only track of the suite.

Can anyone who's seen the film tell me if the two main new pieces composed for the suite "replace" music that's on the soundtrack as well, or just music that's in the film?

In other words, are there corresponding cues on the soundtrack? Or are the pieces they replace not on the soundtrack anyway?

- Would the piece at 3:05 in the suite 'replace' "The Winton Flyer" in track 1 of the soundtrack, or is it inspired by another Winton Flyer section in the film?

- What is the music for the final horse race on the soundtrack? "Lucius Runs to Carrie"? Or is that particular music unreleased? (Or that scene unscored?)

(The horse race music starts at 14:35 in the suite.)

The Winton Flyer and Horse Race pieces are brand new for the concert piece, which was composed 10 years later for his installation in Boston.

Thanks. I'd edited my post in the meantime. See also here.

The Winton Flyer and Horse Race pieces are brand new for the concert piece, which was composed 10 years later for his installation in Boston.

What's the source for this anyway? Are we 100% sure that they're not derived from unused/alternate material or sketches Williams made for the film originally?

Thanks. I'd edited my post in the meantime. See also here.

What's the source for this anyway? Are we 100% sure that they're not derived from unused/alternate material or sketches Williams made for the film originally?

I guess I don't have any direct proof. The Flyer and horserace pieces have the late 70s/early 80s Williams sound, which the movie itself does not have.

Actually I thought the horse race music closely resembled Jane Eyre.

It is quite likely that they were written for the suite of course - especially because it would be unlikely for Williams to have left these cues off the original album. Unless he could only pick or wanted to pick cues that were used in the film, and then made up for that by inserting them into the suite - I mean, this is virtually the only time that there's actually really great "additional" material in a concert suite.

EDIT: The Boston Pops tuba player seems to confirm here at the FSM board that at least the wild drive piece was composed for him, not for the film.

Maybe if we get James Fitzpatrick of Tadlow to re-record the entire REIVERS score he could add this suite with and with out the dialogue.

First he should rerecord STORIA DI UNA DONNA, dammit! ;)

Maybe if we get James Fitzpatrick of Tadlow to re-record the entire REIVERS score he could add this suite with and with out the dialogue.

First he should rerecord STORIA DI UNA DONNA, dammit! ;)

Ofcourse, Damnit! :D:lol: lol