The Angry Video Game Nerd

Henry B

I continue to be amazed at Rolfe's ability to surprise. I was expecting him to tackle Battletoads from the difficulty angle (a bit like Silver Surfer) but instead dissects the horribly unforgiving two player mode. Add in an extended cameo from Kyle Justin, and it's a damn fine video.

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My only beef with it is that since the Batman videos he's been screaming every line. Like, can't he calm down a little? Part of the charm of AVGN is that he's deadpan and sarcastic, not just furious all the time.

I continue to be amazed at Rolfe's ability to surprise. I was expecting him to tackle Battletoads from the difficulty angle (a bit like Silver Surfer) but instead dissects the horribly unforgiving two player mode. Add in an extended cameo from Kyle Justin, and it's a damn fine video.

It was. Funnily enough the game was probably one of the best he's ever covered.

My only beef with it is that since the Batman videos he's been screaming every line. Like, can't he calm down a little? Part of the charm of AVGN is that he's deadpan and sarcastic, not just furious all the time.

He might have overcompensated, I remember earlier in the year we were all thinking he was losing the "angry" edge a little (or at least I was), now he might be overdoing it a bit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just a heads up, the new AVGN video is scheduled for release Wednesday. Rolfe always does a large production horror film spoof for Halloween, so we can probably expect something big!

I love the takedown of the old text adventure games at the start. "I don't know how to fu*k." :lol:

The rest was great, too. When he pulled out the Sesame Street game I got a good laugh. And I like how it was classic review style like he's done most of the year rather than the big budget Halloween specials of the last couple of years. But that will probably be the next one.

Fred Fuchs!

The first Dracula game he played was hilarious. I was hoping he would play the pooty one I have for PlayStation, it's a point and click game.

The artwork on VIC-20 game was a variant on the Frank Langella Dracula poster, which of course was scored by John Williams.

Neil

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Mine stopped downloading at about 8 minutes in. I can't stand the loading time for videos on that site.

I have to sit and wait for it to load for a while before I can watch it without interruption.

Those cutscenes were...disturbing.

• 2 weeks later...

It maybe your connection Drax. I was able to watch all of it at school, a hilarious video and loved his expression at the beginning after the cut scene. I would have reacted like that as well.

It maybe your connection Drax. I was able to watch all of it at school, a hilarious video and loved his expression at the beginning after the cut scene. I would have reacted like that as well.

WHATEVER I SEE, I DEVOUR!!!!!!!

Honestly though, I was really disappointed with the Nerd's acting in the whole CD-I trilogy. For such a climactic series of reviews, he just didn't deliver. He was kind of in "OH GOD!" mode the whole time. So goofy but not even in a good way (e.g. "Christmas Carol"). Old Nerd vs. New Nerd is like Zach Braff on Seasons 1-4 of Scrubs versus Seasons 5-7.

No seriously this is very important to me!

Oh, he went hard on Zelda. I just think he did it badly. He's been hamming it up pretty much since the Friday the 13th review but only in service of the review. Now he just does it constantly. For example, in the beginning of the CD-I review he acts completely aghast when all he's doing is giving a dry history of the Nintendo/CD-I partnership. It's not funny. That really disillusioned, deadpan sarcasm that was a staple of his earlier videos is just gone. "McKids," "Bible Stories," that stuff was great! Yes, I know... for a series of videos that often end in a game cartridge being decked in diarrhea I'm probably overanalyzing.

I'll admit, though, the ending is great. He's still good at just letting loose in the finale, even if the buildup is weak. Superman 64, Indy, Batman, all good. And I did really like Dick Tracy. He made the over the top anger work with that one. Taking a freaking electric drill to the game... in every other video he just fakes the game destruction, but there it was really done. Although I'm betting it wasn't the Dick Tracy cartridge. But I like the authenticity!

The second DVD is out too, BTW.

Should be interesting. Unfortunately, because of copyright laws I think some of the videos are going to be a bit crippled. He used to rely heavily on movie soundtracks and clips. A few of the first volume episodes were really disappointing on the DVD because he had to awkwardly cut out parts with film clips and used some really lame original music instead of the vintage stuff.

That was a great one! It was totally different but it worked. The cinematography and lighting were very interesting.

That was a year ago, though. I thought this year's Halloween reviews were decidedly underwhelming.

Oh no please don't!! why do these nerds/geeks/fans always have to compare things and divide everthing in old period vs new period. and ranting about how less classy the new perios is??

it is so lame it is so much more pathetic than anything you try to critisize!