The Angry Video Game Nerd

Henry B

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, that was a quick turnaround. It's too bad that he only does console games, he could have gotten a lot of mileage out of the PC version of Last Crusade and the last few releases (Emperor's Tomb, Infernal Machine).

Hmm, I haven't played Infernal Machine, though the demo was definitely not fun. Emperor's Tomb was a good game, though. The only thing I could see AVGN ripping into is the absurd plot: "Remember when Indiana Jones fights a giant Chinese dragon in the Netherworld?"

• 3 weeks later...

Or rather rather,

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/35049.html?type=flv

;)

I've played the NES Star Trek several times. I actually just did again a couple of months ago on my NES emulator, and when I was done I kept thinking: "This would be perfect AVGN material". :music:

John- currently loading the new vid

I hate to say it but I think that was one of his weakest efforts. It's almost like he was trying too hard to be in the Star Trek character mode. The Klingon fight was OK, but nowhere near the epic battles of episodes past. The only part I really enjoyed was when he layed out the whole item puzzle sequence at the end of NES Star Trek, and topped it off in perfect AVGN style.

"You remember that scene in The Motion Picture when the Enterprise fights swarms of Klingon and Romulan ships?"

I didn't think it was all that special either, especially coming off of the great Indiana Jones episode. But still, it was a good effort.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice. A classic video and a great bouceback after the disappointing Star Trek. I don't think AVGN has ever had two bad installments in a row.

Pretty good... The end of the video shows that he's developing quite the ego.

Superman 64! Superman 64!

Should have ended with:

"Next Time

Superman 64".

And did anyone else notice that the music he was complaining about was "Saving the Factory - The Acid Test" from Ken Thorne's score to Superman III?

Neil

His expression at the end of the Superman64's was...P R I C E L E S S. :)

And how the hell does the end of that video reveal his ego? If anything it's satire on his selling his soul to all the annoying people.

Well - compare that ending to the moment in the Halloween review where the Nerd almost reviews E.T. He acknowledges his fan base but he isn't explicit about it. Even in the Texas Chainsaw Massacre review his Nerd fan character (the crazy hippy) is part of the plot of the video. In other words, I prefer when he keeps things theatrical.

• 2 weeks later...
That was awesome.

Indeed, although it hurt my soul to see someone actually play that game again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

He had a great laugh, but that seemed to be all he was interested in doing and it did grate after a while. Sometimes it's hard to tell on these, especially a performance like that, how much is scripted and how much is improv.

Great intro.

The next Nerd video is one where he's accepting submissions from fans on what to say about the game: Deadly Towers for NES.

I made a submission. I thought it was good!

The Joker? Eh... Yeah, the laugh was kind of annoying. But I like Matei as an actor. I love how he desecrates classic characters with foul language.

I made a submission. I thought it was good!

The game or your submission? ;)

I grabbed the rom for it too and gave it a whirl on my NES emulator. The long intro was unusual for the time, but it actually wasn't bad. It played decent, but it seemed pretty hard, which I think is the big knock against it. Like Silver Surfer.

• 2 weeks later...

For a collection of strung together one-liners that was pretty good. The German line had me laughing pretty good, such a perfect language for anger.

In the news section of his site he says that the next video is also "a little different" but doesn't offer any hints on what it'll be.

Yeah, I think that proves that the Nerd is a better writer than his fans are... I mean, the first half was alright, but by the end he went way overboard. And as a review it was simple: just gameplay footage and a voiceover.

• 2 weeks later...

Battletoads? I see what he meant by unusual, that game is generally considered a classic, albeit an almost impossibly challenging one. It was certainly a huge hit when it first came out.

John- who will also try to schedule time for this video