The Angry Video Game Nerd

Henry B

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eh, I wouldn't recommend them. I have the Season 1 DVD, but it's been George Lucased. I mean, he had to remove all the film clips and music because it's under copyright, so reviews like "Back to the Future" are now awkwardly quiet. The Rocky review began with a montage of Rocky films on Rolfe's various televisions, so that entire sequence is gone, along with the ending in which he talked about the then upcoming Rocky Balboa. Instead, there's a new ending in Philadelphia, which is kind of funny, but the new music is such a rip-off of the Rocky theme that it just grates on you. Too bad he couldn't use the real thing. The worst for me is the "Friday the 13th" and "Nightmare on Elm Street" reviews. That nice horror music has been replaced by an original score. It's obnoxious and second rate, and, oh god, all those synthesized snare drums... So, it's nice to see the videos in high quality instead of on YouTube, but all the edits really screw them up.

I don't have the Season 2 DVD, but from what I understand he had to make similar cuts due to copyright issues. Season 3 should be pretty disappointing; all those cool guitar renditions of movie themes (including the Superman March) will probably have to go. As for extras, there are a few interesting items. Outtakes, a short "documentary," a couple unused clips, stuff like that. The menus are great.

ScrewAttack has a download option now, I need to take more advantage of that. The ones I've gotten are in pretty good quality. But I think his older videos are only available on YouTube.

ScrewAttack has a download option now, I need to take more advantage of that. The ones I've gotten are in pretty good quality. But I think his older videos are only available on YouTube.

They are, that's where he originally started posting his videos then he teamed up with Screw Attack once he became pretty popular.

They're horrible abominations of space and time that give insult to the very fabric of nature itself!

In other words, they suck.

ROTFLMAO

I remember playing Mario's Time Machine when I was younger, but I do not remember being that bad, or at least as bad as James Rolfe made it sound.

So do I. But then I gave them a whirl with my emulators and trust me, they are that bad.

I remember being little and I wanted Mario is Missing, cause you know, I thought "It must be like Super Mario World but with Luigi!". Boy, was I dissapointed when I played it, fastest I ever beat a game too.

Hm, the fastest I think I completed a game was 30 minutes, and it was the first Kirby game ever made, for the Game Boy. I remember getting it for a few Dollars at GameStop a few years ago before a visit to the dentist, and I completed it before my name was called in the waiting room. I think I gave it back to GameStop after we left the dentist's office.

A shame, too, I always thought Luigi was better than Mario. I did not think that Luigi's Mansion was bad, though.

I wouldn't say he's better than Mario, they're both pretty much on par with each other for who they are. Mario's just more famous.

The Crossfire review wasn't really a "review".. Just showing how the game is played. The Indiana Jones top 10 dumbest moments was really bad.. None of the scenes were actually stupid IMO. Tbh seems like a rip-off of Nostalgia Critic's dumbest Superman moments.. Now there were some really stupid material.. Funny how both film series have John Williams' music..

The Crossfire review wasn't really a "review".. Just showing how the game is played. The Indiana Jones top 10 dumbest moments was really bad.. None of the scenes were actually stupid IMO. Tbh seems like a rip-off of Nostalgia Critic's dumbest Superman moments.. Now there were some really stupid material.. Funny how both film series have John Williams' music..

The ones from KOTCS were stupid, at the very least ridiculous.

I feel like clarifying my opinion for some odd reason...

I disagree with the Basket Game moment

I somewhat agree with the beginning of Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

I agree with the monkeys in the Jungle Chase, but there were far stupider moments in that scene (the groin humor comes to mind)

I somewhat agree with the seagulls when one looks at that scene out of the context of the film

While the voodoo idea is rather silly, I think it added some nice suspense to the fight

I have no desire to mention the "Nuke the Fridge" scene (I did not think it was all that bad, though)

I disagree with the tank over the cliff

I agree that the raft scene was silly, but I never minded it (same with the refrigerator)

Eh, I liked the "What are you, a triple agent?!" line

As I said, I agree with the card scene

I somewhat agree with the beginning of Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

That I never had problem with. I quite like it actually, along with the rest of the beginning of the movie.

Never had a problem with the seagull scene either.

That I never had problem with. I quite like it actually, along with the rest of the beginning of the movie.

When I think of that scene by its lonesome, I have no problems with it. Looking at the rest of the beginning of the film, though, I just think that Steven Spielberg and George Lucas (probably the latter given American Graffiti, as Rolfe mentioned) shoved the time period into our faces one too many times, so to speak. Not that it destroyed the film, just a minor complaint of mine.

Never had a problem with the seagull scene either.

And that is the converse of the the scene mentioned above, for me. Looking at the scene by its lonesome, I think it is rather silly, but in the context of the entire film, I think it provides a lovely moment of interaction between the two men in the aftermath. I just love how Henry Jones walks off-camera triumphantly and that look on Indiana's face as he watches his father. Couple that with the music, and you have a very touching little bonding moment.

At least, that is what I think.

I agree with most of the KOTCS, with the exception of the beginning (minus the gopher or whatever it was) which I think is allright. What surprised me about the video is how close some of the inspirations actually are, I've always known about the influences Spielberg and Lucas had but watching them against Indy show how direct and close they are, cool stuff.

I agree that the raft scene was silly, but I never minded it

Not all that silly after the MythBusters proved it was survivable; the drop out of the airplane, that is.

I noticed why it works on my last viewing:

Right after they jump out of the plane with the raft, they're thrown into new peril: sliding down a mountain at high speed. Right after they go over the cliff, they're again thrown into something else: a wildwater ride. As a result, the audience gets no time to breathe or relax or, more importantly, consider the ridiculousness of three people surviving jumping out of an airplane with just an inflatable raft.

By contrast, the waterfall scene in KotCS has plenty of breathing space, letting the audience relax in between and right after the falls, giving them plenty of time to go "wait a minute, that was really rather silly, wasn't it?"