Who's the most famous person you have met?

Josh500

That other thread about talking to JW make me think.

I guess most people here have never met JW, but who IS the most famous person you have met? I'm not talking about just seeing someone in a concert or a live show, but actually met and exchanged a few words with him/her. Spent some exclusive time with that person, even if it was only for a few seconds. Or maybe even started a casual relationship with him/her? :huh:

I'm curious.

P.S. And don't give us any lies!

I guess John Debney, David Arnold, John Powell and Bruce Broughton would fall into this category. Although I did not get to actually talk with Arnold and Powell (I was too flustered), I did get my picture taken with Arnold, thanked John Debney for CutThroat Island, and a bunch of us had a nice chat with Mr. Broughton (who is great to talk to).

All of this was back in Úbeda this summer.

Not much more exciting than that (not on international levels anyway).

I guess John Debney, David Arnold, John Powell and Bruce Broughton would fall into this category. Although I did not get to actually talk with Arnold and Powell (I was too flustered), I did get my picture taken with Arnold, thanked John Debney for CutThroat Island, and a bunch of us had a nice chat with Mr. Broughton (who is great to talk to).

When I said "most famous person" I wasn't just talking about film composers, you know? ;)

Good for you! I would love to meet and chat with any film composer! I used to love Bruce Broughton's famous Tiny Toon main theme when I was a kid. :huh:

I've met Nana Vistor, John De Lancie, and Armin Shimerman. I could have met some other actors/actress's from Star Trek too like George Takai, Denis Crosby, Robert Picardo, Grace Lee Whitney and a few others but we didn't stick around for the signing. Well Takai would only sign his new book at the time and I wasn't about to pay $50 for a book I would never read.

One actor my favorite who I could have met but was too stupid enough not to go was Jonathan Frakes. I would have loved to have gotten his autograph on a Riker figure...but oh well.

This was back when Star Trek conventions were actually cheap to get into and were fun.

Bill and Hillary Clinton.

Ha, me too.

When I was a kid (and Clinton was Governor of Arkansas), my 5th grade Band performed for Clinton and other dignitaries outside the State Capital Building. He came and met each of us and said some words. He asked me where I was from because at that time I still had an English accent and I guess he wasn't expecting to hear that from an Indian kid.

I also met Bridget Fonda (Elfman now?) at a Village Inn at 3:00 am in Tulsa a few years back. One of the kids that worked for my dad was there with a group of people consisting of him, his dad and a man and a woman. I went over and had a conversation with him for a few minutes, but later I found out that the couple sitting with him and his dad were Bridget Fonda and Dwight Yoakam [when they were still going out]. This kid's dad was a musician and was touring with Yoakam, and I didn't recognize either of them because Fonda was wearing a wig and glasses and Yoakam wasn't wearing a cowboy hat. I was also quite drunk, so that probably had something to do with it too.

Even though I didn't know it was her at the time, I still thought the "wig woman" was hot though.

I guess that would be Elvis Costello (he did a show with the Swedish Radio Symphony Orchestra about 10 years ago). Esa-Pekka Salonen, Valery Gergiev just to name a few.

There you have met some of the most interesting composers to meet. How did you get to meet them?

That other thread about talking to JW make me think.

I guess most people here have never met JW, but who IS the most famous person you have met? I'm not talking about just seeing someone in a concert or a live show, but actually met and exchanged a few words with him/her. Spent some exclusive time with that person, even if it was only for a few seconds. Or maybe even started a casual relationship with him/her? :lsvader:

I'm curious.

P.S. And don't give us any lies!

Hilary Hahn, who signed my Hilary Hahn cd collection, went with me on a picture and with whom I discussed the concert works of Elliott Goldenthal.

I met Leah Adler, Spielberg's mother. I actually talked with her for at least an hour, she was soooooooo kind and sweet. Really an amazing, amazing woman. Literally awe-insiring.

John Williams (although a very brief exchange at a Meet-and-Greet after his Pittsburgh 2003 concert.

John Adams- quite a lengthy talk after his Detroit 2000 concert. Surprisingly no one else was backstage to meet him, so we talked one-on-one. Very cool.

I forgot to mention Gil Shaham and Carl Davis, with whom I spoke a few words.

In Holland: Ronald Plasterk, Thea Beckman, Midas Dekkers.

John Adams- quite a lengthy talk after his Detroit 2000 concert. Surprisingly no one else was backstage to meet him, so we talked one-on-one. Very cool.

I had a similar thing last week with Brian Cox. I saw him in a play (Tom Stoppard's Rock n' Roll), and the few people who were waiting outside all flocked to his co-star. I had a nice (albeit brief) chat with him.

I met Leah Adler, Spielberg's mother. I actually talked with her for at least an hour, she was soooooooo kind and sweet. Really an amazing, amazing woman. Literally awe-insiring.

Was it at her restaraunt? I understand she's quite approachable there.

Dutch people, eh? I've seen quite a few, although I haven't personally talked to a lot of them.

Hans Teeuwen launched into a rather interesting monologue about his morning wood when I first met him...

Was it at her restaraunt? I understand she's quite approachable there.
Yes, it was. And yes, she is INCREDIBLY social and approachable. She really loves talking about Steven and everything else with her fans, she says she never gets tired of it.
John Adams
I've always wanted to meet him, but he's a bit before my time :lsvader:

Don't really know what "famous" means, but, amongst others:

I worked for / with : Bill Ross, John Frizzell, David Foster, Stephen "Doc" Kupka;

I met with: Michael Giacchino, John Powell, Klaus Badelt, Michael Giacchino, Ed Shearmur, Basil Poledouris, Randy Newman, James Taylor, Conrad Pope, Eddie Karam, Brad Bird, Pete Anthony, Chris Young, Marc Shaiman;

... and I talked over the phone to Alan Silvestri and Quincy Jones.

Hmmm, mostly music people... sorry :lsvader:

Hellgi

Shared some words with Lewis Black after one of his shows in Baltimore, got an autographed poster hung up on my wall.

Saw Bob Dylan in concert, tried catching him after the show, but he had a decoy limo set up and snuck out the back after it was over.

Let me see:

John Adams (had an hour long solo chat with him, very neat and gracious person)

John Corigliano: Had an half-hour chat with him.

Harrison Birtwistle (english avant-garde composer) very pleasant, music is noisy and uninteresting.

Steve Reich: Very nice, detests Schoenberg.

Thea Musgrave

Samuel Adler (wrote a great orchestration book and was head of the comp department at Eastman) was a complete asshole. Hated everything about him.

Marvin Hamlisch: Good guy and very supportive.

Keith Lockhart (he doesn't count though)

That's just the list of musicians.

John Adams backstage in the Barbican Centre, London last February. Like Fiery Angel's encounter, I was the only one waiting to meet him. Waited 20 minutes outside his dressing room door before he emerged. Was very gracious with his time with me. Said I'd travel from Ireland whenever he's in London. Was surprised when he told me that National Symphony Orchestra of Ireland were having a weekend of his music to celebrate his 60th birthday and was disappointed he couldn't attend due to scheduling conflicts. Spoke to him for about 5 minutes before his entourage came for him. A really, really lovely person and was so honoured to have met him.....finally. Next time, I'll get a photo.

John Adams
I've always wanted to meet him, but he's a bit before my time :lsvader:

Everything on this website is before your time.

The only famous people I've met are Seth Macfarlane (Family Guy), Rosario Dawson (Sin City), John Cho (Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle), Dustin Nguyen (21 Jump Street) and George Takei (Star Trek series), and all within this year. I also met Keith Lockhart years ago when he was still relatively new to the Boston Pops Orchestra.

in 1992/1993 i met composer Eric Serra and Director Luc Besson Backstage during the projection of Atlantis, the "sequel" of The Big blue. i had autograph of both of them and i talked a bit with Mr Serra about hardware and synth, but it was a bit of difficult, because he was surrounded by so many teens girls :lsvader:

Jazz Violonist Jean luc ponty is one of my Dad's friend. they did the army and the conservatory of Paris together back then in the 60's.

I had the chance to meet several times Jazz Pianist Chick Corea after almost each of his concert until 1995 (that's when i stopped going to concert due to some weird illness). the guy is very kind and always love to talk about mozart and bartok.

i have the chance to have as my penpal friend , the jazz pianist Mitchel Forman, who worked with such artist like Stan Getz, Wayne shorter, andy summers, etc ...

John Williams.

Really? How was it?

Brief! I was able to get an autograph/handshake at a concert in Cleveland (2002), and another in Boston (2004). The latter was with several other JWFans, including Neil, Ren, and Kevin/diskobolus. I vaguely remember muttering something about "thank you so much" both times, attempting to express my thanks for much more than just the signature!

Ray Barnsbury - who'd love to have the same opportunity again in Detroit next year

I was working for a company that did movie exit polls in Boston. Warren Beatty personally showed up and screened Bulworth. Didn't meet him personally, but hey.

Also, went to see a matinee of that old man astraunaut flick in Boston. I look to my left in the nearly empty theatre, and I shit you not it was Steven mutherfucking King in the same row. He had the cane from that car accident he got in. I was like, what the hell did he drive all the way to boston to see James Garner and Clint Eastwood's sagging asses?

Mark Knopfler, after winning a competition in the radio, and Nigel Mansell, when I realised he was living next door to a friend of mine in the Algarve. Alaos, I consider myself to be a pretty close friend of Miguel Andrade.

Queen Elizabeth II (several times), Princess Anne, Zara Philips, Prince Charles (back in the Diana days), and various other members of the Royal Family.....

.....also Roger Moore (at a dinner party), Griff Rhys Jones (at the same dinner party), Jeremy Bulloch......and many others come to think of it......

....oh, and Terry Wogan.....

.....that was a hell of a dinner party.....

I was like, what the hell did he drive all the way to boston to see James Garner and Clint Eastwood's sagging asses?

King is a HUGE Red Sox fan if I remember rightly - I'll lay money on it he was there for a game and took in a movie too.....you lucky bastard!!!!! I would have given up all those dinner parties and royal encounters if I could have spent that evning in a movie theatre with King....

First, I must tell Marian how jealous I am that he sat next to Ed Harris. Though his face is starting to turn leathery from all the chain-smoking, I still think he's awesome. And one of my friends said she'd divorce her husband and run away with Ed if he asked her, so in a way I'm living vicariously through her dream.

Anyway, through my work as a journalist, I've talked to many famous people on the phone. The most fun was Carrot Top and Howie Mandel. Charo was great, too. And Aaron Eckhart was the most gracious person ever.

In person, I got to interview Ron Howard and Kate Walsh, who's the star of "Private Practice."

Also, I was an extra in "Courage Under Fire," and got to be within five feet of Denzel Washington for a couple of hours as we acted out a scene, which got cut from the movie.

I also got to shake hands with John Corigliano when he was doing a tour to talk about the music in "The Red Violin" a couple of months after he won the Oscar.

How did you get to meet the Queen several times then?

Various charitable/musical functions, as well as that dinner party too (it was at Buckingham Palace). Very nice lady. Knows her Mozart.