Recently purchased movies / tv series

Trent B

Had to get the Return of the King - Theatrical Blu-Ray because my old copy got damaged.

I vastly prefer this version to the EE. Unlike the previous two EEs, which had several great additions, I can't think of a single positive change in this one. In fact, many of the new scenes reduce the impact of some of my favorite moments.

Sauraman's death always felt way too comical to me and it ruined the essential "calm before the storm" feeling the movie had. With all of the heavy stuff later, the light-hearted opening was needed. And I've always felt that the Gothmog death scene (and Eowyn's "fake death") reduced Eowyn back to a helpless character right after her arc had gloriously completed with her slaying of the witch king.

• 3 weeks later...

I have never seen a western before.

OMG.

Cowboys is a very good film. Very engaging. The score reminds of Superman.

I need the blu of Dodge City, a film Jason will never see.

• 1 month later...

I got it for under $20, which I am fine with. (My $5 or less rule doesn't apply to Disney/Pixar/Gibli films).

Sadly I missed out on Porco Rosso and The Wind Rises when they dipped under $20, which I'm annoyed by. The only two Miyazaki's I don't have on blu!

• 2 weeks later...

Received this today:

97469_large.jpg

I had seen it once in my teens, and loved it.

Looking forward to seeing it again.

Browsing just a bit the restoration is outstanding!!! (After all it's Arrow)

The extras include an original workprint of the movie with altered/deleted/extended scenes (coming from a VHS of the director)

It's interesting to us film music lovers that it still contains the temp tracks!

Eg. in the second scene, the morning in the little town, it uses the Explorers music.

I couldn't identify one more cue in another scene that I saw, and haven't seen anything else.

(I wonder if the director used all Goldsmith for the temp tracks)

• 3 months later...

None of Amazon's deals were very good this year. Maybe Cyber Monday will be their day considering they're an online retailer. Best Buy was surprisingly the same price or lower for every single blu-ray, and they weren't lightening deals that lasted one second like Inside Out and Jurassic World.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Eyes Wide Shut

79870_medium.jpg

The version Kubrick didn't want you to see.

O.k, you have me intrigued, Alex? What is on it that MR. K. didn't want people to see, and why?

While we are on the subject...does anyone know where I can get a full verstion of "The Shining"?

The Blu-ray has the American theatrical aspect ratio (1.85) but the DVD says Kubrick wanted us to see the movie in full frame. Whether it's true or not is perhaps debatable but I do think the film looks better in full frame. The compositions seem to make more sense (only watched the opening scene though). Same goes for Barry Lyndon.

Alex

2 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Yes, network stations pan & scanned 2001: ASO for TV and it infuriated him.

In the early 80s, "2001" was shown on TV, but it was letterboxed to 2.35:1, and not 2.20:1. What we need is a 2.35:1 TV.

There needs to be a special kind of TV to deal with classic movies of this type.

1 minute ago, Alexcremers said:

No wonder Drax is against this masterpiece of moviemaking.

Well Married...With Children, Stargate SGI, and Xena were all in full-frame and apparently they are the best shows ever.

3 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Yes, 2001 has extra fat, juicy black bars on top and below. No wonder Drax is against this masterpiece of moviemaking.

Ironically, on a widescreen TV, "2001" looks closer to 1.85:1 than a 2.35:1 film does. It almost defeats the object. Of course, and on a TV, I wouldn't want to see it any other way (except in a 70mm print at a cinema!).

6 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

The Blu-ray has the American theatrical aspect ratio (1.85) but the DVD says Kubrick wanted us to see the movie in full frame. Whether it's true or not is perhaps debatable but I do think the film looks better in full frame. The compositions seem to make more sense (only watched the opening scene though). Same goes for Barry Lyndon.

Alex

I remember reading this on my old Kubrick DVDs. As you said later, it was a product of the times. I highly doubt he wanted that as his preferred ratio. 

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Never seen that one either

Last Blu I bought was GRAVITY imported from Canada since the US version with the Silent Space audio track is OOP.  Looking forward to watching it soon

20150208_59c11ff3daa9f37f2046l09bMXM2GwnF.jpg (500×632)

I sort of enjoyed Foxcatcher.  The three central performances were all great, but the movie is quite slow/oddly paced.  And Steve Carell's nose prosthetic is distracting and unnecessary. It's not like John DuPont is this super well-known public figure where we'd all be taken out of the movie if Carell's nose wasn't big enough.

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

Last Blu I bought was GRAVITY imported from Canada since the US version with the Silent Space audio track is OOP.  Looking forward to watching it soon

The silent space version is interesting, but I found it to be a novelty more than anything. Not something I'd watch more than once.  

Then again, I always found Gravity's rewatchability to be pretty low. I loved it when I saw it in London on a giant screen in 3D, and got totally immsersed in the experience. Like Avatar, I found it to be one of the few movies that really benefitted from 3D, but also like Avatar I found that it loses a lot in subsequent, 2D viewings, which really demonstrates how thin the story is in both films.  

Not to take anything away from either film, they're both great singular cinematic experiences, but IMO they don't stand up to repeated viewings.

I've only seen Gracity once, in full IMAX 3D in the theater, and have no idea how I'll view about it at home on my 46" LCD.  We'll see!

46" Samsung LCD TV, Denon 7.1 receiver, Polk Monitor60 fronts, what remains of an Energy 5.1 setup for Center, Rears, and Sub.

2 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

The silent space version is interesting, but I found it to be a novelty more than anything. Not something I'd watch more than once.  

Then again, I always found Gravity's rewatchability to be pretty low. I loved it when I saw it in London on a giant screen in 3D, and got totally immsersed in the experience. Like Avatar, I found it to be one of the few movies that really benefitted from 3D, but also like Avatar I found that it loses a lot in subsequent, 2D viewings, which really demonstrates how thin the story is in both films.  

Not to take anything away from either film, they're both great singular cinematic experiences, but IMO they don't stand up to repeated viewings.

I saw it twice in the theatre in 3D, and both times I was mesmerised. I watched it once on 2D Blu-ray and it was fine, but obviously nowhere near the 3D experience.

I still thought it has as much story as it needs. It's a simple story executed very well.