Recently purchased movies / tv series

Trent B

5 hours ago, Richard said:

Yes! It really is very good, film. Buy it when you can.

COME FOR ME!

Yes, I know.

I have watched it.

I waited for the Kino, to compare which is the best edition to buy.

Although, i wouldn't say the UK one has a great restoration.

There are others much better..

7 hours ago, Jay said:

SAE had a sale on Twilight Time BDs so I picked up 2 with isolated John Williams scores

33199.jpg 26735.jpg

They join Stanley and Iris in the Twilight Time / Isolated scores / owned by me club, just need Tom Sawyer to complete the collection.

Do you have The Fury and The Long Goodbye?

(edit: Oh, maybe you're not Region Free)

By the way, here's some screenshots from HTSAM.

They looked funny to me, and indeed, comparing with the Czech bluray i'd prefer the latter's colors.

The former looks a bit sickly.

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/213630

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/213632

Yes, I have The Fury Twilight Time BD, completely forgot about that one!  Woops!

I completely forgot about The Long Goodbye too, but that wasn't Twilight Time was it?

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yes, I have The Fury Twilight Time BD, completely forgot about that one!  I completely forgot about The Long Goodbye too, but that wasn't Twilight Time was it?

yes, it's Arrow, Region B.

Then it doesn't qualify at all when I said:

7 hours ago, Jay said:

the Twilight Time / Isolated scores / owned by me club

:)

• 3 weeks later...

Oooh thanks for reminding me about the existence of that film, I still need to see it

I just picked up The Book Thief on BD for $4.99, Amazon is having a sale.

It's not a great movie, but I want to own every John Williams movie on BD.

I never realized Twilight Time has been releasing all of Woody Allen's earlier films. And in their current sale, they have a bunch of them for "nice" prices, so I went all out and ordered all of them. 

13 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Is there an BD of Rosewood? Cause if not, I believe it will never exist.

I haven't researched which JW films are or aren't on BD yet, but there is an entire thread dedicated to to it maintained by @filmmusic here:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/24061-williams-filmography-in-bluray-a-list/

9 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

I never realized Twilight Time has been releasing all of Woody Allen's earlier films. And in their current sale, they have a bunch of them for "nice" prices, so I went all out and ordered all of them. 

Oh man, I just saw that sale over at SAE.  I have to resist the temptation, though.  Short on funds and we're in the middle of selling our current house and buying the next.  If I have more than 2 drinks at any point this week, I'll probably end up ordering all of them.

• 3 months later...
On 7/13/2017 at 10:09 AM, Alexcremers said:

91Ncoz7Mx+L._SX342_.jpg

One of the most atmospheric movies from the last years and severely misunderstood. Shame on all of you!

Read and learn:

https://www.theodysseyonline.com/crimson-peak-stunning-beautiful-and-criminally-underrated

Alex

It was visually stunning but empty. So predictable.

Exactly Lee

Im more hopefull for Toro's modern interpretation of the Creature from tje Black Lagoon

• 3 weeks later...

Oh sweet, I never unloaded my Criterion Silence of the Lambs DVD when I got the MGM BD, because the Criterion DVD had some bonus features the MGM editions didn't have.  If this carries over all their own stuff, I can unload that.

I basically lost interest in collecting movies and music. There is literally nothing on sale I must buy. Is this aging or maturing?

On 21-11-2017 at 5:39 PM, JoeinAR said:

I basically lost interest in collecting movies and music. There is literally nothing on sale I must buy. Is this aging or maturing?

You're slowly starting to realize that you can't take it with you.

I am happy to say Im not a horder. However I anticipate at least 28 more years of life.

• 4 weeks later...
On 21/11/2017 at 3:39 AM, Disco Stu said:

Preordered these 3 upcoming Criterion blu ray releases.

The first two are already among my favorite movies ever made.  The last I've never seen but seems up my alley.

320_BD_box_348x490_original.jpg

13_BD_box_348x490_original.jpg

909_BD_box_348x490_original.jpg

YML is good, TOM JONES is excellent. It's worth it for John Addison's score, the banquet scene, and a villainous David Warner. It's a shame that so many people thought that Tony Richardson "lost it" with COTLB.

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up IT on 4K today. My first 4K disc. I got the Best Buy exclusive Steel Box. I got there at 11am. I got the next to last Steelbook. 

On 21/11/2017 at 4:57 PM, Jay said:

Oh sweet, I never unloaded my Criterion Silence of the Lambs DVD when I got the MGM BD, because the Criterion DVD had some bonus features the MGM editions didn't have.  If this carries over all their own stuff, I can unload that.

It doesn't.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=14544256&postcount=614

My latest order from Arrow sale:

162195_large.jpg

Not among the best Hitchcock, but enjoyable nonetheless, especially for  Laughton's performance.

Yeah, those newer movies don't really qualify people as Trekkies. They're hip watered down action movies for general audiences. The type of person 60s-00s Trek was geared toward are more like the people in the Trekkies documentary who wore uniforms around or built a Christopher Pike chair.

3 minutes ago, Philippe Roaché said:

Yeah, those newer movies don't really qualify people as Trekkies. They're hip watered down action movies for general audiences.

I agree

I've been waiting for ages for Universal to release Duel, The Sugarland Express, 1941 and Always on Blu-Ray individually in the Netherlands. Already owning Jaws, Jurassic Park and The Lost World on Blu really put me off buying that big Spielberg box set. I also recently picked up this edition of E.T., which comes with a lovely booklet:

71oknCF+9KL._SL1500_.jpg

But today, I found out bol.com is selling the box set for a mere €25. That puts the price of the four movies I don't own at a mere €6,25 a piece. Neato!

So this should be arriving tomorrow:

9200000032060496_1.jpg

Yay!

I'll have to catch up on some of the 'Berg's other Blu-ray releases and have myself a marathon one day.