Recently purchased movies / tv series

Trent B

Nice, Breath, you'll enjoy it. My one and only minor gripe, is that neither version of 1941 has the original mono film mix, nor does it have a 5.1 iso score, as the R1 DVD has. That being said, it's cheap at twice the price. ALWAYS, especially, looks gorgeous.

IMG_20180118_170444.jpg

Alien: Quadrilogy seems like a perfect set with everything one could ever want. Both versions of all 4 films, extras for all and even the old LaserDisc extras? Damn.

T1 seems good, T2 seems awesome, Jaws has a perfect documentary, the Indiana Jones bonus disc was a little bit meh.

The biggest drawback is the censored Temple of Doom. It's not a big deal, but there's just absolutely no reason for it!

Yup, what I've seen so far of these has really good picture quality, I won't invest into a bluray player for a few more years, I have more important things to waste my cash on. I watch these on my 15.6" laptop screen with an external DVD player that came with it anyway, and PowerDVD's upscaling is pretty good.

Also, Bluray cases and covers are usually ugly as hell.

• 1 month later...
On 1/18/2018 at 11:15 AM, Holko said:

Yup, what I've seen so far of these has really good picture quality, I won't invest into a bluray player for a few more years, I have more important things to waste my cash on. I watch these on my 15.6" laptop screen with an external DVD player that came with it anyway, and PowerDVD's upscaling is pretty good.

Also, Bluray cases and covers are usually ugly as hell.

A few more years? Probably won’t be any physical format by then!

And there will probably be a fair window where people won't be interested anymore, prices will fall because everyone will want to get rid of their stock, before they rise again when it becomes retro. I'll have plenty of time then to figure out which release fucked up all the colours just because and which hasn't.

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

81DSPJwKuJL._SY445_.jpg

:|

I'm surprised at you!

Ordered:

171231_large.jpg178027_large.jpg134164_large.jpg192766_large.jpg

1 hour ago, Holko said:

And there will probably be a fair window where people won't be interested anymore, prices will fall because everyone will want to get rid of their stock, before they rise again when it becomes retro. I'll have plenty of time then to figure out which release fucked up all the colours just because and which hasn't.

If you buy used DVDs (in excellent condition) i have a few John Williams scored films that I'll eventually sell.

5 hours ago, Holko said:

Blu rays are $5. How much cheaper can they get?

3 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

If you buy Mill Creek releases, yes.

if you buy Criterion, Arrow, Shout, Warner Archive, Twilight Time, Eureka etc., no they aren't!

24 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Usual price around here is about €8, once they're discounted. I just ordered a bunch of Blu-rays for €5 from Amazon, but that was a special offer when you picked up ten from a rather small selection of titles.

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Corellian2019 said:

Bought Images on Blu-ray, which is technically the only way to see it (currently), since not even Netflix has it on DVD. Hate when that happens. Hopefully it's good!

I wouldn't call it a safe blind-buy, but I hope you like it!

In the extras, there is

An appreciation by musician and author Stephen Thrower

Since he's a musician, let us know if he mentions Williams.

Also, prepare yourself for a very grainy film at times!

Not all people like this, but I love it.

1 hour ago, filmmusic said:

Also, prepare yourself for a very grainy film at times!

Not all people like this, but I love it.

I have no problem with grain, as long as it's what the filmmakers wanted and inherent in the original photography.

• 1 month later...

I bought the Planet of the Apes trilogy today in UHD, but without knowing it didn't have the regular blu-rays included. No biggie, I have the first two on BD, so I'll just buy the last one separately.

My Kubrick box set arrived. Looking forward to digging into that. Might start with the Shining. 

2 hours ago, John said:

51jYA7Mv32L__SX342_.jpg

2001 is being released this year in a new restoration..

I guess you didn't know?

although, judging from the trailer it might have been tealed-yellowed, so I'll stick to my older release too if that's the case!

3 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

It didn't need to be restored. Somehow, as if by magic, the film is perfectly preserved. 

yeah, i guess I should have said "remastered"?

anyway the new bluray comes from a new 4K scan I think...

Got Blade Runner for €10.99. I’ve resisted this for a long time but I’m finalky going to give it a shot. 

4 hours ago, filmmusic said:

yeah, i guess I should have said "remastered"?

anyway the new bluray comes from a new 4K scan I think...

But's it's not a 4K Ultra HD release? 

1 hour ago, Bilbo said:

Got Blade Runner for €10.99. I’ve resisted this for a long time but I’m finalky going to give it a shot. 

Prepare to hate it.

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

But's it's not a 4K Ultra HD release? 

It is too.

Both a  UHD release and a bluray release will be from the new scan.

1 hour ago, Bilbo said:

My expectations are pretty low going in so I can only be impressed!

Don't count on it! 

11 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

It is too.

Both a  UHD release and a bluray release will be from the new scan.

Well, thanks for the info, but I'll stick to my current Blu-ray version. It looks incredible. Only 4K can improve on it.

3 hours ago, Bilbo said:

Is that BR, or is that BR2049?

If it's the original, it would be nice to know what you think, coming to the table almost 36 years later.

5 minutes ago, Richard said:

Is that BR, or is that BR2049?

If it's the original, it would be nice to know what you think, coming to the table almost 36 years later.

The original (Final Cut). I have seen maybe a total of 2 minutes of it previous to this. I shall post in the recently watched thread when I get around to it!

Just now, Richard said:

You're gonna love BARRY LYNDON.

Mall I know of it is the theme and I already love that! 

I think

Friday: The Shining

Saturday: Dunkirk (maybe)

Sunday: 2001

33 minutes ago, Richard said:

120mins approx = theatrical version.

119 minutes apparently .

Just picked up Dunkirk and Raging Bull. €19.98 😬

Once Upon a Time in the West and Spartacus for €12!

I’m done now!

• 4 weeks later...

A lavish boxset of Attila Dargay, our most famous and beloved animation director, even known abroad - Vuk, the Little Fox was the BBC's main feature on the Christmas of 1982!

It contains brand new restorations of the 4 features he directed (3 of which are among the highest regarded movies in the country, everyone has seen all 3 at least once, if not 200 times, the 4th one is OK, too) in beautiful digipaks with a still on the inside and the original theatrical poster on the cover (exactly how I like it!), also featuring English subtitles and box text. Then a bonus disc collecting all his animated commercials from the '50s and '60s (newly found and transferred) as well as all his shorts (Variations on a Dragon is something you must watch right now!) from 1959 to 1991, as well as a 17-minute interview with his widow and regular DOP. Also included is a short booklet with some interesting bits about his career and a few nice storyboard and raw cell pictures.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I finally caved and bought the blu ray release of Call Me By Your Name.  The movie is a bona fide masterpiece (and honorary Merchant Ivory), enough time had passed that it's essentially half off on Amazon, and it includes a commentary track of just Timothee Chalamet and Michael Stuhlbarg, surely worth the price of admission.

On 6/11/2018 at 3:41 PM, John said:

Preordered!

I also have the book preordered.

https://www.amazon.com/Wes-Anderson-Collection-Isle-Dogs/dp/1419730096/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1531430860&sr=8-1&keywords=isle+of+dogs+wes+anderson+collection

I already own The Wes Anderson Collection and The Wes Anderson Collection: The Grand Budapest Hotel, so I guess I'm committed ;) 

• 1 month later...