Recently purchased movies / tv series

Trent B

• 3 months later...
19 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

You were a Film Struck subscriber, right? Did you also join The Criterion Channel? I opted for that instead of picking up a lot of their individual titles for purchase. 

I was FilmStruck, but I have not joined the Criterion Channel.  We have Youtube TV now, which is quite expensive, but using that I can DVR as many movies off of TCM as I want, and I get  my classic film appetite sated that way.  I bought these three blu-rays on an impulse, really.  To make room for Youtube TV we cancelled most streaming services.  Now we just have Prime and that.

• 4 weeks later...

71k5zmbcQEL._SX342_.jpg

Why not? Bought it for a fiver. Never watched it. What could go wrong?

71M1ybzXSHL._SX342_.jpg

Why not? Bought it for 7 euro. The photo shoot scene looks incredible.

81di+ByKj0L._SX466_.jpg

Why not? It's a good movie, despite its last act.

Taking a screenshot on your phone instead of just copying and pasting the text?  Who are you, Quint?

I don't think you understand what OCD is if you are asking that question in this context

1 minute ago, Jay said:

I don't think you understand what OCD is if you are asking that question in this context

Just now, Jay said:

So I was right then.  Thank you for confirming.

This was a deeply gratifying exchange for me, confirming suspicions i had for years.

Thank you!

• 1 month later...

That time when Holko's external DVD drive which he got as a freebie with his laptop in 2015 started breaking down, prompting him to finally make the upgrade to bluray after years of hesitation and unsurity, then of course deciding to build up a core library of classics (plus others if you like) he didn't yet own - 2019, colorised

20190617_110052.jpg

More Americans died in the Cival War than in all our other wars combined. 

11 minutes ago, Richard said:

...as are all wars...and completely unnecessary.

As in all American Wars since the beginning. Including Afganistan 

No, I don't think it will.  It lacks staying power, to me.  The first act or so is top notch, but it begins to have a fan film flavor after that.  A bit too hyper and self-aware.

29 minutes ago, SteveMc said:

No, I don't think it will.  It lacks staying power, to me.  The first act or so is top notch, but it begins to have a fan film flavor after that.  A bit too hyper and self-aware.

I agree

8 hours ago, Dieter Stark said:

Can something that came out a few years ago really be a classic?

Instant classic status can occur, but I would never have attributed such renown to the new Star Wars movies. That's not to say they won't achieve it in years to come, in the eyes of their generation of fans, but I doubt it.

Recently, I'd label Spider-Man Into the Spider-Verse as an instant classic, at least as far as animation goes. With some movies you can just tell. Funny, another cartoon film, The Iron Giant, I knew that was destined to be a classic as soon as I'd saw it.

33 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Its a very forward thinking piece of cinema!

So you’re saying in the future Australians will wage wars over water and smash hot rods into each other in desert wastelands?

Interesting...

It touched Stefan in a way it did not with me. It was certainly visceral.