Recently purchased movies / tv series

Trent B

I recieved my copy of Chosen Survivors and Earth Dies Screaming today, along with a copy of Judge Judy's dvd.

One side has a poster, the other side has a "timeline" of the film pointing out the differences between the three versions.

Oh, nice.

I've decided to keep my copy of Blade Runner. The damage isn't that awful, and the scuff on the corner looks a lot worse than it actually is.

Content is nice, too, although I haven't watched any of the discs yet. Packaging's nice, anyway.

Spider-Man 2.1 (as stated in the "Recently Watched Movies" thread).

Titanic - Deluxe Collector's Edition 4-disc set

;):folder:

Why in gods name would you want to buy that crappy movie, especially a 4-disc set?! ROTFLMAO

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (WS 2-disk set)

Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (WS single disk. Not too bothered about paying an extra 10 bucks for special features for that one. It was good, but not THAT good...)

Yeah, I follow trends...

Spider-Man 2.1 (as stated in the "Recently Watched Movies" thread).
Titanic - Deluxe Collector's Edition 4-disc set

;):folder:

Why in gods name would you want to buy that crappy movie, especially a 4-disc set?! ROTFLMAO

I think Best Buy has it for $8.99. That's a good enough reason I think.

There's nothing wrong with Titanic. It's a good film regardless. While some people may be put off by DeCaprio, which is unfair because he does deliver, the rest of the cast and production values are outstanding. It's truly a sight to behold.

:):folder:

Why in gods name would you want to buy that crappy movie, especially a 4-disc set?! ;)

It's an excellent movie. And yes, the score is among Horner's finest.

Anyway, just purchased Spider-Man 3 (that Sandman theme is great!) and The Sound of Music.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (WS 2-disk set)

Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (WS single disk. Not too bothered about paying an extra 10 bucks for special features for that one. It was good, but not THAT good...)

I'll probably get the 2 disc AWE (possibly for Christmas). It was easily my least favorite of the three too, but still worth it.

I don't know if I'll even bother with OotP on DVD, my Potter DVD collection still stops at Azkaban, I never got GoF.

I'll get OOTP when it's cheaper, like I have with all the other Potter films.

That's actually what I've done with the Pirates movie too. I didn't get Dead Man's Chest until this past summer after I saw At World's End. If I don't get it for Christmas I'll probably wait.

Why in gods name would you want to buy that crappy movie, especially a 4-disc set?! ;)

I detested Titanic, and don't like the score that much honestly...

I saw about half an hour of Titanic on TV. So bad. Is there something I'm not getting? Perhaps you have to embrace the campiness, I don't know...

I always enjoyed it pretty well. Haven't seen it in a long time though, so I can't really say why. I did notice the irksome repetition in Horner's score though, even before being into film scores.

I detested Titanic, and don't like the score that much honestly...

Well I believe you may get your headlines, Mr. Vosk.

I saw about half an hour of Titanic on TV. So bad. Is there something I'm not getting? Perhaps you have to embrace the campiness, I don't know...

I think that's it exactly. It's an extremely camp movie. Once you accept that it's a very entertaining film. One thing it isn't though is serious. It's a load of camp exposition while you wait for the special effects in the final hour. They keep interest up by showing off Kate Winslet's jubblies halfway through, and "good show" I say. I'd certainly like to buy a copy at some point, though I think the worst thing about it is the hideous score. James Horner used to be a genius. Titanic is a real nadir for him with all that pseudo-Irish crap. Given the "camp" approach James Cameron took with his soap-opera on a boat, I had to smile when, while accepting his Oscar, he asked the entire audience to keep two minutes of silence for those that died on the Titanic. As if he really gave a flying f***. All he wanted to do was make a big budget spectacular action flick. That much is painfully obvious from what ended up onscreen. Camp? Yes. Silly dialogue? Absolutely. Fun to watch? Very much so. A serious memorial to those that died? Come on now!

I'll get OOTP when it's cheaper, like I have with all the other Potter films. Then my Potter movies will stop there unless the next movie redeems the crappy book.

Yes, but look what they did with Chamber of Secrets. It's hardly one of the best books, but the movie was excellent. I'd go so far as to say it was an improvement on the book! Dobby is certainly less irritating in the film than he was in the book (and that's saying something!)

I always enjoyed it pretty well. Haven't seen it in a long time though, so I can't really say why. I did notice the irksome repetition in Horner's score though, even before being into film scores.

I remember a similar Horner discovery in my early days of film score fandom too: watching Deep Impact and Apollo 13 on consecutive nights and realizing I had heard the exact same score.

Chamber of Secrets is a truly horrifying film.

Tish pish! The casting is excellent, the Basilisk scene is well done, the fun spirit of the books is present (which is more than can be said for Order of the Phoenix, the weakest book AND film in the series by a LONG way), and that's all I have to say about tha.... t. The film series certainly got more stylish with Prisoner of Azkaban (the best film so far), but since then the series has lost much of the fun of the books by paring the scripts down to the absolute bare-bones. Yes, the books get progressively darker, but without having the moments of humour and the fun sub-plots the darkness has nothing to contrast with and as such makes for a very gloomy film. The books do get darker, scarier, and more horrific. However they don't just get gloomy!

Chamber of Secrets retains that "book" feel thanks to the Philosopher's Stone basis and John Williams's score, yes. That's about all I have to compliment it on.

I find people tend to mistakenly look at Titanic at face value. The film is more about the class divisions of the time, with the love story being the device to show the representations of those divisions on an interpersonal level, therefore the first half of the movie is every bit as important as the second half. By the very end, Rose doesn't see a ship divided by the First Class/Second Class/Third Class paradigm, but rather a more egalitarian representation of the ship's passengers that has evolved from segregation, snobbery and oppression.

Order of the Phoenix, the weakest....film in the series by a LONG way)

;)

I'd go so far as to say it [Chamber of Secrets] was an improvement on the book!

:):folder::eek:

I didn't think the movie was bad, but better than the book?

The books do get darker, scarier, and more horrific. However they don't just get gloomy!

Now that's a statement I can agree with!

;):):folder:

The movie wisely deletes the line that makes Tom Riddle look like a total idiot - "Phoenix tears heal wounds... I forgot! I forgot!" or something along those lines. Plus the movie thankfully deletes much of the painful Harry/Ginny material that made me want to puke.

Therefore, the movie is better.

It adds a bunch of terrible lines to make up for the Riddle one, though. "Let us hope that Mr. Potter will always be here to save the day," "There's no Hogwarts without you, Hagrid," etc.

;):):folder:

The movie wisely deletes the line that makes Tom Riddle look like a total idiot - "Phoenix tears heal wounds... I forgot! I forgot!" or something along those lines. Plus the movie thankfully deletes much of the painful Harry/Ginny material that made me want to puke.

Therefore, the movie is better.

That line shows that even Voldemort has flaws. He says something in book 7 like: "It's more because of my errors that Potter's triumphs that he is still alive." I believe this to be one of these errors.

Isn't the Ginny material just here getting embarrased and running out of the room whenever Harry enters?

That line shows that even Voldemort has flaws. He says something in book 7 like: "It's more because of my errors that Potter's triumphs that he is still alive." I believe this to be one of these errors.

Isn't the Ginny material just here getting embarrased and running out of the room whenever Harry enters?

Voldemort keeps losing to some punk kid. What kind of incompetent villain is he anyway? He loses his scare factor the more the series progresses.

Voldemort keeps losing to some punk kid. What kind of incompetent villain is he anyway? He loses his scare factor the more the series progresses.

That's because you know his background, and he seems much more human.

Finding Neverland

Bobby

Really? The first is so 'sweet', I almost puked. The second was just baaaaaaad.

I bought the first one for the boy. And I bought all of them because I felt like buying me some DVDs and they were all cheap. I've never seen Bobby.

Hey, I forgot that I also bought The Wire Season 1 (mainly because it's positively reviewed) and Caché with Daniel Auteuil and Juliette Binoche.

Alex

Really Alex, I think you blew your pennies with Finding Neverland, I wouldn't force the naughtiest child to watch that pile of doggarbage.

Sin City and The Sheltering Sky are good though.

Bought Ratatouille today. Considered picking up the Pixar Shorts Collection volume 1, but almost all of those were included in the feature film DVDs anyway, so I didn't bother.

That boxset I talked about also arrived over the weekend. It contains the following:

Match Point

Last Days

Manderlay

Caché

Volver

The Wind That Shakes the Barley

Requiem

Der Untergang

Brokeback Mountain

Mar Adentro

Looking forward to diving into those.

If you haven't seen Mar Adentro yet, Marc, it's a great film. Very depressing though, but fantastic nonetheless.

Just got:

Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World's End (Blu-Ray)

Blade Runner: The Final Cut - Briefcase Edition (Blu-Ray)

The Simpsons Movie (Blu-Ray)

It's the third Volkskrant Filmfestival set.

I have the other two as well. The full collection:

Parts 1 - 10: De Mooiste Films uit het Nieuwe Millennium (2005)

01. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotles Mind

02. Lost in Translation

03. Dogville

04. In the Mood for Love

05. The Pianist

06. Bowling for Columbine

07. Le Fils

08. Mulholland Drive

09. Hable con ella (also includes Carne Tremula)

10. La stanza del figlio (also includes Caro diario)

Parts 11 - 20: De Mooiste Films van Bekroonde Auteurs (2006)

11. Broken Flowers

12. The Constant Gardener

13. Gosford Park

14. Paradise Now

15. In This World

16. Topsy-Turvy

17. Elephant (2003) (also includes Elephant (1989))

18. Underground

19. Million Dollar Baby

20. The Man Without a Past

Parts 21 - 30: De Mooiste Films volgens De Volkskrant (2007)

31. Match Point

32. Last Days

33. Manderlay

34. Caché

35. Volver

36. The Wind That Shakes the Barley

37. Requiem

38. Der Untergang

39. Brokeback Mountain

40. Mar Adentro

That's not applicable for Holland. Good choice on THE WIND THAT SHAKES THE BARLEY. Most of it filmed where I reside during the summer.