Recently purchased movies / tv series

Trent B

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

These movies in German (according to Google Translate) are called "Kevin Alone at Home" and "Kevin Alone in New York"? Huh

Kevin is the main character in each of the movies. He is a kid who accidentally gets left alone at home by his family and then separated from his family in New York. These movies are scored by none other than John Williams, before he rose to fame with such hits as A Timeless Call and PBS Great Performances.  

7 minutes ago, Tom said:

Kevin is the main character in each of the movies. He is a kid who accidentally gets left alone at home by his family and then separated from his family in New York.  These movies are scored by none other than John Williams, before he rose to fame with such hits as The Timeless Call and PBS Great Performances.  

Is this a copypasta 

11 hours ago, Edmilson said:

These movies in German (according to Google Translate) are called "Kevin Alone at Home" and "Kevin Alone in New York"? Huh

Yup. That's German titles for you. Sometimes nowadays the German titles are even in English, but still different from the original English ones. For example, Taken is called 96 Hours in German. Took me years to figure out they're the same film (I've never seen it).

The Liam Neeson movie? Here it got an even more ridiculous title: Busca Implacável, or "Relentless Search". Around these parts, action and comedy movies usually get dumb local titles :lol:

I've posted some of them here a few days ago.

2 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Yup. That's German titles for you. Sometimes nowadays the German titles are even in English, but still different from the original English ones. For example, Taken is called 96 Hours in German. Took me years to figure out they're the same film (I've never seen it).

WAIT - you haven't seen the first Taken?

46 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

That is correct.

But it's the closest we'll get to Schindler's List 2.*

*he said, before Disney acquired Amblin Entertainment. 

Woah. I tend to give up and settle for DVD at those sorts of prices.

I think the only movie I'd kind of like to own on Blu-ray but have never seen a domestic version, is Sphere. I can get the DVD for £1.

7 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I think the only movie I'd kind of like to own on Blu-ray but have never seen a domestic version, is Sphere. I can get the DVD for £1.

I see the (US) blu-ray of that one is also OOP and is going high at ebay!

I'm getting increasingly unhappy about spending money on Blu-rays since more and more of mine have been dying. The latest was Once Upon a Time in the West. Always in the middle of the film - must be either related to the layer change or to the radial distance of the affected part. I keep spending tons of money on films only to randomly have them fail in the middle of watching them (sometimes with friends).

Every time. Always broken at the same spot on every player. Two Sonys, one Samsung, and an external computer drive. From what I remember, I've had it happen with The DepartedWall-ECloud Atlas, CE3K, and now OuaTitW. Some basically break down altogether at some point in the film, other go all stuttery and garbled for a while (so that the player software hangs and only reacts to button presses every 10 seconds or less). With CE3K I had to skip several minutes, OuaTitW has at least half an hour that's unplayable.

There was another one I can't remember now. And who knows how many that I haven't discovered yet…

Have you tried cleaning the disc with a cloth or even washing it?

I hear in other forums this helps a lot with your problem..

Now, that you mention it, I also have Close Encounters, and I wonder if it has gone bad... :unsure:

6 hours ago, filmmusic said:

Have you tried cleaning the disc with a cloth or even washing it?

I hear in other forums this helps a lot with your problem..

Tried wiping it with a microfiber cloth, and with water. The problem persists on all players and at the more or less same location of the disc. No visible marks on the surface. It has to be some degradation inherent to the material or pressing.

I've had degradation too - I got a Jurassic trilogy Blu-ray set a few years ago and TLW now refuses to play, full stop. I can see some colouring on the outside so it's evidently worn or rotted away. Thankfully I have the DVD and it's my least fave of the three by miles so I'm not actually that bothered.

I'm finding an urge with my absolute favourites to rip the entire disc to my PC, which is also a mega-convenient way to watch it.

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

I'm finding an urge with my absolute favourites to rip the entire disc to my PC, which is also a mega-convenient way to watch it.

I'd like that, not least because I'm already doing playlists with trailers and commercials and automated light dimming when I have movie nights with friends, and I'd like to integrated the actual feature film with that.

Only I've still got several issues with that:

1. I haven't found a player that can play ripped Blu-rays smoothly and with full audio pass through and proper remote controls (on Linux; but when it comes to these things, any video players I've seen on other systems usually fare worse) (I can play downloaded multichannel videos just fine, but I'd really like to preserve the original compressed streams from the discs)
  2. I'd want full rips without re-compression, and ripping all my Blu-rays (about 800 now) would take dozens of terabytes of space, and then I'd have to double that to have a backup in case something goes wrong (because see next point)
  3. Ripping Blu-rays is incredibly slow - seems to take at least an hour for an average film. The limit seems to be the drive speed, and pretty much all drives seem to be equally slow (2x seems to be the usual speed for video Blus, the "video" suggesting that there's some sort of deliberate hardware throttling involved to inconvenience ripping)

And when I finally transition to 4K, these problems will only get worse.

I have tens of Blu-rays but only around 10 ripped, and a few of them were more so I could skim a few bits without needing the disc in the drive.

Essentially I narrow it down to those that are either particularly important to me or are hard to find in physical format and therefore I want the digital copy.

Far more DVDs fall into that category for me, particularly TV shows. I'm not quite picturing a full dystopian future where nothing is available to own, but I want a PC-based copy of important stuff that no studio can suddenly decide to pull.

This is visual media only, of course. I rip all CDs on receipt - there should be nothing that isn't in my flac archive.