Recently purchased movies / tv series

Trent B

Is A River Runs Through It a good movie?

oh, did you see my post here? i watched it yesterday!

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20559&p=915834

I guess it's not a film for everyone and I wouldn't suggest a blind buy, although I loved the film.

The quality of the picture is excellent!

Oh I'd never buy a film I've never seen before, I can just rent it very easily from netflix, the library, redbox, whatever. I'll check it out, my GF might like it too. Looks like it has a young Joseph Gordon Levitt!

Is A River Runs Through It a good movie?

oh, did you see my post here? i watched it yesterday!

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20559&p=915834

I guess it's not a film for everyone and I wouldn't suggest a blind buy, although I loved the film.

The quality of the picture is excellent!

Oh I'd never buy a film I've never seen before, I can just rent it very easily from netflix, the library, redbox, whatever. I'll check it out, my GF might like it too. Looks like it has a young Joseph Gordon Levitt!

yes, but only for few scenes in the beginning.

So, really, you haven't ever bought a movie that you haven't seen?

I did it twice, and thankfully i wasn't disappointed.

(also if we count films that I had seen in my childhood and didn't remember anything, i may have done it 4 times)

I do it all the time.

You are risky! You like danger! ;)

True! I like to live on the edge. Paying 2 Euro for a Blu-ray title is one of my softer stories though.

Here's one of my more daring adventures: Today I also bought My Son, My Son, What Have Ye Done (Werner Herzog) and Slipstream (with and from Anthony Hopkins). The scores over at IMDb aren't very promising.

Alex 'Evil Knievel' Cremers

My most recent blind buy, which I haven't received yet, is this:

69545_large.jpg

But from the looks of it, I think i'm not gonna be disappointed again.

If i buy films that i haven't seen, they're always in a genre that I love.

(So, I'll probably never blind buy a comedy, a horror, a sports film or a western. :biglaugh: )

On 7/9/2013 at 0:57 PM, filmmusic said:

So, really, you haven't ever bought a movie that you haven't seen?

I did it twice, and thankfully i wasn't disappointed.

(also if we count films that I had seen in my childhood and didn't remember anything, i may have done it 4 times)

Oh, I'm sure I've make exceptions from time to time, but as a general rule no, I only buy movies I've already seen and know I like. Why would I possibly spend money on owning forever some movie I've never seen before that I might not even like, when I can very easily rent it for $1 or less instead?

I love movies, I wish I could watch one every day, but as I have grown older I have lost my need to own a physical copy of a lot of movies. One reason is I barely ever watch special features any more, but the main reason is that there are so, so, so many movies out there in the world that I have never seen, most of the time I'd rather see a movie I haven't seen yet than one I already have. Also physical media just takes up space when you can watch things in literally identical quality with less overhead (no FBI warnings, forced previews, menus to wade through) with digital files.

Anyways, I can think of a few times I bought blu rays to movies I've never seen:

-I bought the 22 film James Bond collection, even though I had only seen about 8 of the films prior.

-I bought the director's cut of Kingdom of Heaven, even though I had only seen the theatrical version

-I bought Ponyo before I saw it, but I knew I'd love it as I love all of Miyazaki's movies

-I bought the 22 film James Bond collection, even though I had only seen about 8 of the films prior.

-I bought Ponyo before I saw it, but I knew I'd love it as I love all of Miyazaki's movies

Oh, i want to buy the Bond too!! But i'm waiting until i have some money.

And all the Ghibli blurays, the japan version, in which i love the packaging! :biglaugh: (although it's very EXPENSIVE!)

Ghibli4_Display.jpg

photo-128.jpg

Weird packaging. I prefer the US BDs. Sadly, only a handful of his movies are on BD here the US so far.... thanks Disney! (I have them all on DVD)

I buy movies I haven't seen all the time.

that's really insane, but it's your cash

I buy soundtracks I haven't heard. Rock albums I haven't heard. Games I haven't played. Books I haven't read. I even, no joke here, go see movies in the theater that I haven't seen before.

I buy soundtracks I haven't heard. Rock albums I haven't heard. Games I haven't played. Books I haven't read. I even, no joke here, go see movies in the theater that I haven't seen before.

all very good, but I'd gather that many of the soundtracks you purchase you've sampled or heard them within a film, Books can be read for free, or at various purchase points. Films can be seen at various price points as well. Koray's choices are his own, however they are more on the pricy side than yours.

even I make blind choices but it's easier to do when you've got the price point under five bucks.

Eh, some. Many soundtracks are blind buys because I like the composer, didn't want left out, or was sold by the buzz words. Heck, I went over thirteen years between loving the first Conan score and ever watching a minute of the film.

all very good, but I'd gather that many of the soundtracks you purchase you've sampled or heard them within a film, Books can be read for free, or at various purchase points. Films can be seen at various price points as well. Koray's choices are his own, however they are more on the pricy side than yours.

even I make blind choices but it's easier to do when you've got the price point under five bucks.

Unless it's Criterion I typically spend $15 or less on my blus. Some exceptions like Schindler's List, which was $18, and the Best Buy blu-ray books of Jaws and E.T., which were around $23.

Like Wojo mentioned, you spend about as much or more at the theater to see a movie you've never seen. I have no issues paying $8 for Premium Rush simply because I like JGL, or like how I spent $5 on The Lookout.

And all the Ghibli blurays, the japan version, in which i love the packaging! :biglaugh: (although it's very EXPENSIVE!)

photo-128.jpg

Which movie is that? It looks like there's a X-Wing on the disc.

it's Castle in the Sky.

lcits_h.jpghttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWbY_Ete6Zw

By the way:

I'm curious now that i heard this guy on the video. how do you pronounce the G in Ghibli in US? or in other countries?

Is it like Gemini, or like Good?

I buy movies I haven't seen all the time.

that's really insane, but it's your cash

Often a Blu-ray is cheaper than watching a new movie in the theatre.

but not Criterion releases even on sale.

Die Hard Blu-Ray collection set, which has Die Hard 1-4, need to get 5 now. Although slightly disappointed that Live Free Or Die Hard only had the theatrical version, despite it being a lot better. I just preferred having the line "Yipee Ki Yay, Mother Fucker!" restored for the Director's Cut.

I still got quite a few DVD's to replace to Blu-Ray then I will be done with my "collection"..

Edit: I also had to rebuy The Matrix Reloaded on Blu-Ray to replace the disc from the Ultimate Matrix Collection. Some how I ACCIDENTALLY threw it away before I moved from Cedar City. I think I mistook it for the DVD version I had.

I got a note from the post offie. I'll probably watch it tomorrow! So excited! I can't stop loving the 80s!

381207d1362954365-photos-your-steelbook-

Great fun film! Is that a regular DVD or Blu-Ray?

By the way:

I'm curious now that i heard this guy on the video. how do you pronounce the G in Ghibli in US? or in other countries?

The G is pronounced as in Good. That's how they pronounce it in Japan. That's how you should pronounce it. End of discussion!!

By the way:

The G is pronounced as in Good. That's how they pronounce it in Japan. That's how you should pronounce it. End of discussion!!

Ok, thanks. We pronounce it here that way too.

i just got confused when i heard that guy, and thought that that is the right pronunciation. :)

Often a Blu-ray is cheaper than watching a new movie in the theatre.

but not Criterion releases even on sale.

Not those, no.

Well if you're going to a primetime showing with a lady friend you're dropping more than $20 so... yes, those. :P

hmmmm.... :mrgreen:

I just got the Willow Bluray Steelbook in my hands!!!

Tears came into my eyes when I saw the title and listened to the magnificent music!!! :crymore:

I am so looking forward to a Krull release too..

• 3 weeks later...

WOW! I just got the Alien Anthology box!

I didn't know that Alien has both the original composer's isolated score & the final isolated score.

I thought it had only the 2nd!

Cool!!

Well don't forget a ton of the shots that were in the cut of the film that Jerry scored got cut so the intended isolated score is only an approximation of what his intentions were, since the version of the film he actually scored doesn't exist anywhere anymore

Oh i see..

Still I don't know what version of the film to watch..

I had watched the theatrical long long ago in my teens, and then when i got the DVDs, I watched the director's cut.

The Theatrical Cut is better than the DIrector's Cut, for Alien. After you are done watching, there is an option to watch just the scenes added into the DC separately, as well as the rest of the deleted scenes that were never in either cut

The added banter throughout was okay, but I hated the DC scene of Ripley finding the lair. That could undermine Aliens... Or it could suggest that one drone can recognize isolation and put plans into motion to make a queen. Which might undermine Aliens anyway.

Oh i see..

Still I don't know what version of the film to watch..

I had watched the theatrical long long ago in my teens, and then when i got the DVDs, I watched the director's cut.

According to Scott, the TC is the true DC.

The Theatrical Cut is better than the DIrector's Cut, for Alien. After you are done watching, there is an option to watch just the scenes added into the DC separately, as well as the rest of the deleted scenes that were never in either cut

Oh, how can you do that?

can i do this from the menu? or i have to watch the theatrical version first?

By the way, concerning Aliens: I usually like the film that has more scenes, but in this I liked that it created a mystery in the theatrical cut, since you hand't seen the scenes with Newt's family etc.

What do you think?

prefer the longer cut. it gives more weight to Newt's loss and her incredible survival.

Both cuts have their good points. I agree with Joe that is shows even more Newts strength. Even though it does take away a bit of the mystery. (not taht we didnt know there aere gonna be aliens anyway)

It also has a nice scene with weaver discovering her daughter is dead.

Both cuts have their good points. I agree with Joe that is shows even more Newts strength. Even though it does take away a bit of the mystery. (not taht we didnt know there aere gonna be aliens anyway)

It also has a nice scene with weaver discovering her daughter is dead.

which makes Alien 3 all the more irritating.