Recently purchased movies / tv series

Trent B

Ripley and Newt should have made it back to earth, Ripley adopts Newt and the live happily ever after.

Maybe she bangs Hicks and has a torrid affair with him as well.

Point being, Alien 3 could have dumped Ripley and come up with a new story to move the franchise along.

Instead it began it's sad downfall.

The Theatrical Cut is better than the DIrector's Cut, for Alien. After you are done watching, there is an option to watch just the scenes added into the DC separately, as well as the rest of the deleted scenes that were never in either cut

Oh, how can you do that?

can i do this from the menu? or i have to watch the theatrical version first?

Ok, I'm trying to figure this out.

I see the deleted scenes are 6 and a half minutes. Do these incluse both the scenes from the DC, and the others that don't appear in any version?

Because I can't find an option to show me the deleted scenes that were added in DC only.

Boooring!

Newt needed to die for Ripley's sacrifice to make sense.

there was no need for Ripley to die, nothing about the film makes sense. There were no face huggers aboard the ship after Ripley ejected the Queen. You can be certain of that. Alien 3 was an insult to everything before it.

non sequitor for you my friend Stefan.

We know Ripley was a very thorough individual and she would not sleep if she felt the slightest danger.

Hopefully much of Metropolis was evacuated but in a city of 8 million + there is simply nowhere to go, nor was there time.

Alien 3 was an insult to everything before it.

This is the very first time that I agree with this Joey character.

You must be very worried!

non sequitor for you my friend Stefan.

We know Ripley was a very thorough individual and she would not sleep if she felt the slightest danger.

Hopefully much of Metropolis was evacuated but in a city of 8 million + there is simply nowhere to go, nor was there time.

Both are assumptions not supported by anything seen in the film!

If there was no way for facehuggers to get aboard the ship between Aliens and Alien3, are we faced with the possibility that Burke impregnated Ripley before they even returned to LV-426 in the first place?

Alien 4 was fine, AvP was fine....

Alien Resurrection is a wonderfully awful film with some precious moments,

Kill me

Kill meeeeeee.

Bought the complete Harry Potter series on Blu-Ray today for 47 Euros. Seemed like a fair deal.

oh yes, it sounds good,. What edition was it? How many discs?

The regular editions, so that's 11 discs in total (the last three movies have 2-disc sets), featuring mostly the same material as the initial DVD releases. Except now it's in HD.

Bought the complete Harry Potter series on Blu-Ray today for 47 Euros. Seemed like a fair deal.

oh yes, it sounds good,. What edition was it? How many discs?

The regular editions, so that's 11 discs in total (the last three movies have 2-disc sets), featuring mostly the same material as the initial DVD releases. Except now it's in HD.

Still I haven't seen the last 2 movies.

I lose interest when there are a lot of films on something.

That's why I say, leave Star Wars alone.

Anyway..

I don't remember anything either from 4, 5, 6,

Oh, no, Piranha 2 is much worse.

Cameron even denies it's his first film.

So does Fincher with Alien 3.

the difference is Cameron had 145,786.00 dollars to work with, Fincher had 50,000,000.00 to work with.

It also has a nice scene with weaver discovering her daughter is dead.

That's the most important one, I think, because it plays a hugely important part in the whole Ripey/Newt relationship. I like the early Newt & brother scenes, but I also see the problem with revealing stuff to early (cf. Dark City, where the DC actually removes the prologue which explains everything right away), but I consider the Ripley/daughter plot essential.

the difference is Cameron had 145,786.00 dollars to work with, Fincher had 50,000,000.00 to work with.

(Disclaimer: I've never seen Piranha 2)

But Fincher also had to deal with an incredibly troubled production full of disagreements and complete script writes and concept changes. He actually walked off the movie before the final cut.

He deserves full blame, you didn't have the ability to control the film, he lacked the balls to take charge, and if he wants to be blameless he should have walked in the first place.

sorry but I blame his queenie lack of gumption.

Having a small budget is no excuse for making a bad picture. Lots of low budget movies are great and lots of multi-million dollar productions are bad.

piranha2-06_zps1e1a1990.jpg

Piranha 2

Recently purchased movie(s)?

Considering how rarely I purchase DVD these days, can I call one year ago 'recent'?

If so, then it was a DVD of - "A Dangerous Man : Lawrence After Arabia" a TV movie made in 1990.

For years I glimpsed this on Amazon but ignored it (missing the second part of the title), assuming that it was just a re-boot of Lean's Movie. How wrong I was, and for a long time missed out on something well made and worth seeing.

It was interesting that although this was an ITV (one of the British Channels) collaboration, the only way I could view this at the time was to buy a Polish import of it on Amazon.co.uk. It has since been

by someone earlier this year, with Dutch Subtitles.

Basically the secondary title is correct. All of this takes place in the years directly 'following' the Arab Revolt, dealing with Lawrence' political campaign back home to fight against the pre-arranged Sykes-Pico agreement that had carved up the former Ottoman Empire into European colonies, betraying promises to the Arabs who fought against the Ottoman Turks.

Ralph Feinnes plays Lawrence and very much interprits him in his own unique way. Anyone who has read the writings of Lawrence and descriptions of his character, will find that Feinnes picks up on, and portrays the nuances of, the complex character that comes through from his own writings and descriptions of him by associates and family. It it also a film that corrects several oddities of Lean's superb film, such as the portrayal of Faisal. In Lean's film, Faisal is portrayed rather like an elder of the desert, a world weary cynical man looking back on a distant past, wistfully.

Essentially Guinness was playing Old Ben Kenobi, before even playing that role. In this TV movie, the portrayal is more accurate as in reality Faisal was a young ambitious man in his 30s who Lawrence identified early on as someone who's passion he could harness for his purposes. Faisal is played by Alexander Siddig, his acting a little sticky in this as it is one of his earliest appearances. Compared to how settled he is in the movie Syriana playing a similar role, it is quite striking how his acting improved .

Getrude Bell, the formidable female political officer who was instrumental in this era for providing Lawrence with intelligence about the various tribes for the revolt, makes an appearance in this TV movie played by Gillian Barge, as do various actors playing the big political characters of the day. Curzon, etc. Anyone expecting the 'action' of Lean's movie, don't watch this one. It is a movie about the political chess game that went on, and the trauma Lawrence went through.

Its whole aura is very much of the British TV movies of the era.

It was interesting that although this was an ITV (one of the British Channels) collaboration, the only way I could view this at the time was to buy a Polish import of it on Amazon.co.uk. It has since been

by someone earlier this year, with Dutch Subtitles.

It wasn't me!

iaNxTXt.png

Admirable purchase. I saw a number of episodes of this, and enjoyed it.

Schama's interesting voice and constant head movement alone, keeps viewers engaged too.

I find the presenters of such programs (Dan Cruickshank, David Starkey, Michael Wood) all eccentric presenters.

If you don't have it (or didn't see it) already, I recommend Michael Wood's - "In the footsteps of Alexander the Great".

It wasn't me!

It won't stand up in court :D

Watching a program with David Starkey feels like getting a history lesson by Emperor Palpatine.

Agreed. In recent days he has a new series showing about Music and Monarchy.

At 0:12 you can imagine him looking on and saying to himself - "I will be Chancellor".

Had got this steelbook along with the Alien Anthology:

ms3UukB17BJshE-GuA6Z8kQ.jpg

watched it yesterday! (of course not for first time)

How great director Mel Gibson is!

I wish he can do other films too..

These ARE movies!

And i think the Horner score is a masterpiece.. I thought so from the first moment I heard it without having seen the movie.

The Godfather Trilogy (The Coppola Restoration) (DVD)

Super 8 (DVD)

The Towering Inferno (DVD)

Borgen (The Castle) (The Danish political drama series) Season 1(DVD)

All 4 brand new for measly 11€ at a local flea market.