Recently purchased movies / tv series

Trent B

11 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I sort of enjoyed Foxcatcher.  The three central performances were all great, but the movie is quite slow/oddly paced.  And Steve Carell's nose prosthetic is distracting and unnecessary. It's not like John DuPont is this super well-known public figure where we'd all be taken out of the movie if Carell's nose wasn't big enough.

I thought it was a well made thriller with a delightfully disturbing performance in Carrell and subsequent climax. Also really enjoyed Rob Simonsen's score. Haven't seen it since theaters though so not sure how it'll hold up. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Purchased the new Twiligh Time Stanley and Iris BD with isolated score track from Screen Archives

32374.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I was at Fry's picking up a $10 memory card for my camera to take pictures of The Haunted Mansion at Disneyland when I happened upon the Steven Spielberg Director's Collection for $50. I couldn't resist since I need Jaws, Always and The Lost World. I think it payed for itself. Plus, I get all these bonus films I'll probably never watch but would still rather watch than Bridge of Spies or The BFG. I'm so happy I finally have legitimate copies of Always, Jaws and The Lost World again (those last two were stolen by thieves who also made off with my E.T. night light and Star Trek figures) to watch whenever I desire on my Sony Trinitron. The few pages in the booklet about Always were incredible.

John Williams does.

On 04/01/2017 at 9:19 PM, Jay said:

Purchased the new Twilight Time Stanley and Iris BD with isolated score track from Screen Archives

32374.jpg

Jay, how is the score presented (2.0? 5.1?) and how much unreleased music is there?

6 hours ago, Richard said:

Jay, how is the score presented (2.0? 5.1?) and how much unreleased music is there?

3-channel DTS audio (LCR), same as The Fury. 

Saved you a click. ;)

• 2 months later...
28 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Purchased Basic Instinct and Pride and Prejudice (2005) on DVD. The opening music of BI sounds awesome in surround sound, hope to watch it soon.

The surround mix of the music on the BI DVD, is a talking point, for many people. It really is "front and centre".

4 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

DSCF9259_-_Edited_1.jpg

Alex

:thumbup:

My one quibble about this Blu ray, is that it doesn't have the 5.1 mix, that the last DVD re-issue had; the car journey that Burton takes into the city, is,  in 5.1, hypnotic.

4 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Awful picture of George Clooney!

Ejit! :lol:

bolle, Richard was talking about Solaris, not Basic Instinct.  I'm sure you could not tell because Alex posted a picture of the Solaris BD without typing out its name.

1 hour ago, Richard said:

:thumbup:

My one quibble about this Blu ray, is that it doesn't have the 5.1 mix, that the last DVD re-issue had; the car journey that Burton takes into the city, is,  in 5.1, hypnotic.

No problem, Richard, I'm a genuine stereo man. As long as the image quality is good... that's all I care for. The car journey was already hypnotic years ago on TV speakers.

BTW, Burton? 

14 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Not the Criterion edition? For shame!

The release appears to have been sourced from the same master that Criterion worked with when they prepared their release of Solaris for the U.S. market. The only minor discrepancy is in the brightness levels -- the film looks slightly brighter here, likely because the gamma levels are set differently, but the actual discrepancy is in fact extremely small.- Blu-ray.com

On 28/03/2017 at 6:51 PM, Alexcremers said:

No problem, Richard, I'm a genuine stereo man. As long as the image quality is good... that's all I care for. The car journey was already hypnotic years ago on TV speakers.

BTW, Burton? 

Sorry, that should say Berton.

On 3/29/2017 at 7:40 PM, Alexcremers said:

The release appears to have been sourced from the same master that Criterion worked with when they prepared their release of Solaris for the U.S. market. The only minor discrepancy is in the brightness levels -- the film looks slightly brighter here, likely because the gamma levels are set differently, but the actual discrepancy is in fact extremely small.- Blu-ray.com

This is Koray. He would easily pay more for a Criterion release even when another one uses the same transfer. Probably because of the snob value of having the word CRITERION on the case.

Obviously I saw your post before you edited it.  It makes sense now that you edited it so my question is answered, but please don't pretend you don't know what my post was about.  It makes you look like a child.

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

Obviously I saw your post before you edited it.  It makes sense now that you edited it so my question is answered, but please don't pretend you don't know what my post was about.  Makes you look like a child.

Yeah, I'm the one who's being a child here... 

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

This is Koray. He would easily pay more for a Criterion release even when another one uses the same transfer. Probably because of the snob value of having the word CRITERION on the case.

Or rather Criterion's blu-ray release of Solaris came out in 2011 and I wasn't aware that any subsequent releases would have access to their transfer?

Twat!