Trent B

Recently purchased movie(s)?

8 minutes ago, Richard said:

@Disco Stu

THE MAGNIFICENT AMBERSONS is brilliant (as is THE LEAGUE OF GENTLEMEN, and VICTIM).

It's just a shame that it was butchered.

I saw it a long, long time ago.  But a couple of years ago I read the equally brilliant novel it's based on so it'll be interesting to watch it now with that context.  Also, I mean, a new Criterion restoration?  Yes please!

Because it would be called THE COMPETENTLY-MADE, OSCAR BAIT, YET PERFUNCTORY, AND UTTERLY REDUNDANT AMBERSONS.

That's why. Sometimes half a film made by someone, is much better than a whole one, made by someone else.

4 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

I do that from time to time. I recently dumped The River, Far and Away, Miller's Crossing and Jurassic Park III.

Why? They're all pretty bad movies.

Miller’s Crossing pretty bad? For shame!

3 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

The River is a good movie and a great score. 

11 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Miller’s Crossing pretty bad? For shame!

I was expecting these complaints. Miller's Crossing is a shame for the Coen Brother's filmography, because it's the one and only bad movie they made. I really wonder why so many people consider it one of their best.

5 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

I was expecting these complaints. Miller's Crossing is a shame for the Coen Brother's filmography, because it's the one and only bad movie they made. I really wonder why so many people consider it one of their best.

WHAT.  THE  ACTUAL.  FUCK??!!

MILLER'S CROSSING is a fabulous film?

You want a bad Coen bros. film? INTOLERABLE CRUELTY, is pretty much what it says on the packet, and THE LADYKILLERS is terrible.

5 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

What Coen brothers movies do you want me to watch?

3 hours ago, Richard said:

WHAT.  THE  ACTUAL.  FUCK??!!

MILLER'S CROSSING is a fabulous film?

You want a bad Coen bros. film? INTOLERABLE CRUELTY, is pretty much what it says on the packet, and THE LADYKILLERS is terrible.

Every director has one or two terribly misjudged films and everyone who watches them is so much influenced by these misjudgements that he thinks the film is actually that good/bad. By mentioning Intolerable Cruelty and The Ladykillers you just confirm your overreliance on the general appraisal of these movies. But I can tell you that especially The Ladykillers and Miller's Crossing are two extreme examples of an immoderate misjudgement by the broad audience and most "critics".

3 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

What Coen brothers movies do you want me to watch?

Barton Fink

Fargo

The Big Lebowski

No Country for Old Man

Burn After Reading

A Serious Man

True Grit

Inside Llewyn Davis

These are the best.

1 hour ago, Brundlefly said:

...you just confirm your overreliance on the general appraisal of these movies.

My arse!!

I form my opinions from watching the films, and not running with the herd. I like a lot of films that are hated by critics, and ignored by the public. At least one of these films, is my 5th favourite film of all time. I usually pay no attention to critics, but, in the case of INTOLERABLE CRUELTY, and THE LADYKILLERS, they are right: they suck dick.