Recently purchased movies / tv series

Trent B

Huh? By far? Okay, why? And I really expect a reason why you think it's so much better looking than Skyfall.

Joe and Richard are free to chime in ...

Playtime is over! I wanna hear legit arguments!

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

Huh? By far? Okay, why? And I really expect a reason why you think it's so much better looking than Skyfall.

I will not deny that Skyfall has a lot going for it.  Deakins is a master, there is no doubt about it ,and his prowess is on full display.  Skyfall is one ravishingly lit shot after another.

But, maybe, it is all a tad too dense.  I feel it does overwhelm the viewer a little bit, gorgeous as it all is.

The Spy Who Loved Me is shot with suave and swagger.  Color, line, and lighting call to mind epic filmmaking while still feeling rather intimate.  It better fits the James Bond mythos, fulfills it, even.  

I mean, Skyfall's skyskraper fight sequence, the way that is shot it could be from any really good action movie.

But, say, the pyramids sequence from The Spy Who Loved Me, there is just something that really is so James Bond about the way that one was done.  

8 hours ago, Steve McQueen said:

I will not deny that Skyfall has a lot going for it.  Deakins is a master, there is no doubt about it ,and his prowess is on full display.  Skyfall is one ravishingly lit shot after another.

But, maybe, it is all a tad too dense.  I feel it does overwhelm the viewer a little bit, gorgeous as it all is.

The Spy Who Loved Me is shot with suave and swagger.  Color, line, and lighting call to mind epic filmmaking while still feeling rather intimate.  It better fits the James Bond mythos, fulfills it, even.  

I mean, Skyfall's skyskraper fight sequence, the way that is shot it could be from any really good action movie.

But, say, the pyramids sequence from The Spy Who Loved Me, there is just something that really is so James Bond about the way that one was done.  

And the SWLM score is better.

3 hours ago, Richard said:

Hmm. Nice haul. If you can, watch EARTHQUAKE with the Sensurround track. It won't take away the hokeyness of the film, but it might make your fillings rattle :lol: 

I’ve uninstalled my surrounds speakers, because I hate to hear sounds from behind.

Why having rear sounds if the image is only in front of us?

Surround sound is for people with ADHD.

3 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Your eyes also point straight ahead while your ears are on the sides of your head to pick up sounds from all directions.

3 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Your eyes also point straight ahead while your ears are on the sides of your head to pick up sounds from all directions.

Don’t try to fool me. The guy who invented that was dumb. Surround sound okay... but the day we’ll have surround image too.

9 hours ago, Bespin said:

Don’t try to fool me. The guy who invented that was dumb. 

What about his followers? People who swear by his invention? Are they just dumb too?

10 hours ago, Bespin said:

I’ve uninstalled my surrounds speakers, because I hate to hear sounds from behind.

Surround sound is for people with ADHD.

Not surround, Bes; Sensurround, as in LFEs. EARTHQUAKE had roadshow presentations in 70mm/6-track, but that's not the point. 

Anyway, I hope that you enjoy the movie, hokey though it is.

6 hours ago, Richard said:

Not surround, Bes; Sensurround, as in LFEs. EARTHQUAKE had roadshow presentations in 70mm/6-track, but that's not the point. 

Anyway, I hope that you enjoy the movie, hokey though it is.

I'll shake my booty on my couch while I'll watch the movie, okay!

My sister and I actually saw it in the sensesuround when it was released. We would later see Midway roller coaster and Battlestar Galactica in that format

My Mother In Law got me the Silence of the Lambs: Criterion Collection BD for X-Mas.  It only has 2.0 audio ,but that's OK

Good news everyone!

Not a recent purchase (yet), but Warner has finally released The Sea Hawk on Blu-ray two weeks ago:

71BxF-YzkpL._SL1000_.jpg

Let's hope Captain Blood is not far behind.

44 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Nothing! 

I'm tired of buying the same movie over and over again (Laser disc, VHS, DVD, Blu-ray, ...)

I am only planning to buy E.T. and Jaws when available. Only new stuff. 

Alex my husband David accused me of already planning our next tv purchase and he is correct. I will go 75 to 82 inch for a curved qled Samsung.

Just now, Alexcremers said:

You want a 'curved" screen?

Yes. Great picture from every angle in my living room. 

Does anyone have Starship Troopers on 4K. Supposedly it looks truly superior on 4k

1 minute ago, Alexcremers said:

Really? Curved TVs are known for poor viewing angles. 

I just read the opposite 

https://www.viewsonic.com/library/entertainment/curved-vs-flat-monitors

Take it for what you will. I paid a premium for the curve but I am very happy.

34 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

I paid a premium for the curve but I am very happy.

You already bought it? In that case, congrats! It's certainly ... BIG!

Oh, wait, you mean your current TV is curved? Okay!

Yes. I dont have the money for that just yet. My Samsung is 2 years old. Still in love.