Film Score Monthly announces the Blue Box - Superman.

TownerFan

I highlt doubt it, but a Harry Potter box set with the first 3 scores, plus the children suite and all that might fit in 8 cd's.

pffff.hahaha that'll never happen in our lifetime

When is the announcement going to be made?!?!
At this point we are crossing our fingers to have it ship before Xmas; if it is ready beforehand, we'll announce it then.

Neil

I'm hoping we either get Family Plot 1. with the shared Silver Age Classics thing, or 2. with the 8 disc set (perhaps a Hitchock film score set).

Pros to 1: MUCH cheaper

Cons to 1: You don't even get a regular OST amount of music, let alone the complete score

Pros to 2: You get a real OST, not shared with any other score.

Cons to 2: MUCH more expensive

At this point we are crossing our fingers to have it ship before Xmas; if it is ready beforehand, we'll announce it then.

Neil

That's just for the Blue Box. Do we know when the CDs that will ship the first week of December will be aunnonced?

I'm REALLY hoping it's nothing I want. I have zero money at the moment. If it's something I MUST have then I will order it immediately and then have to worry about smuggling it into the house without my wife seeing it, paying all the bills, and still trying to scrape enough pennies together to buy bloody Christmas presents.

Come to think af it, my Christmas gift to my family could be to allow them to come into my living room and listen to the 8-disk box et with me! :P

That's been out for ages, what are you talking about? The article on the front page is not a new release announcement, but a Basil Poledouris discography, as the title indicates.

I'm hoping we either get Family Plot 1. with the shared Silver Age Classics thing, or 2. with the 8 disc set (perhaps a Hitchock film score set).

Pros to 1: MUCH cheaper

Cons to 1: You don't even get a regular OST amount of music, let alone the complete score

Pros to 2: You get a real OST, not shared with any other score.

Cons to 2: MUCH more expensive

Neil

That's just for the Blue Box. Do we know when the CDs that will ship the first week of December will be aunnonced?

It would really help if people would go over to FSM and read the post from Lukas that answers all your questions:

There will be two new releases likely the first week of December: a 2CD set (Golden Age Classics) for $24.95 -- our first release of this composer's music -- and a 1CD release (Silver Age Classics) for $19.95 featuring two highly lauded scores from the 1970s.

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/post...1&archive=0

Unless the material isn't available FSM will release the score complete as possible, so if they are combining a release that means that the score was short to begin with, only the LP masters were available, or the cues were too damaged to include.

There will be two new releases likely the first week of December: a 2CD set (Golden Age Classics) for $24.95 -- our first release of this composer's music -- and a 1CD release (Silver Age Classics) for $19.95 featuring two highly lauded scores from the 1970s.

Unless the material isn't available FSM will release the score complete as possible, so if they are combining a release that means that the score was short to begin with, only the LP masters were available, or the cues were too damaged to include.

Then family plot is out...

A bit off-topic, but has anyone noticed that there's also an expanded edition of the Blade Runner soundtrack coming out?

Even though this is being discussed elsewhere, it was your post that brought it to my attention. Thanks very much. I'll certainly be buying this when it comes out. :)

It would really help if people would go over to FSM and read the post from Lukas that answers all your questions:

Actually, if you read my post you'll see that I was asking when they would aunnonced, not released. I have actually read the article several times.

Do you know this for a fact, or is this just an assumption?

Family Plot will most likely take a few more years before it is released. Maybe after JW passes, maybe a lot of his stuff will be released at that time (not meant to bring up any bad thoughts), such as a huge box set ala the one Elmer Bernstein got.

No indy4 I'm just making up garbage and posting it on the message board for no reason since FSM has been basically saying and doing this for what, 10 years.

It's almost the first week of December and LK said the releases would be likely ready for the first week and based on how they do business in the past well you do the math.

koraysavas90, I don't think that's the case with FP but Doug Fake over at Intrada did say that Williams has requested that there not be a release of a complete Sugarland Express.

I don't see why. Lovely, laid-back, theme (I cant' stand the concert version he always uses), a great actiony cue, lovely harmonica stuff, fun selection of source stuff.

The exact post is over on Intrada's message board but I think the reason was that Williams felt the theme released was a good enough representation of the score.

I really can't stand the concert version, with the slow harmonica. The main titles, with the guitar and the more spirited performacne is quite charming, though.

Well, the Golden Age release has hit one day shy of December. It's Korngold's The Sea Wolf and King's Row, the latter known mostly around these parts for its main melody, which many think sounds similar to Star Wars and Superman. The sound quality of the samples is excellent, far better than the stringent old Korngold collection version.

Well, the Golden Age release has hit one day shy of December. It's Korngold's The Sea Wolf and King's Row, the latter known mostly around these parts for its main melody, which many think sounds similar to Star Wars and Superman. The sound quality of the samples is excellent, far better than the stringent old Korngold collection version.

;)

Korngold was a virtuoso conductor, and these performances kick the hell out of any recording, no matter how good it is. And check out the Kings Row samples; the children singing the nursery rhyme in "The School" are included, so I bet the "I Am the Captain of My Soul" chorus is in the finale cue, too (it was missing, sadly, from the previous box set sampling of Kings Row). It looks like Kings Row is complete, which is awesome. Gerhardt's recording, though excellent, only contained about fifty minutes of score.

I'm not familiar with the full score to The Sea Wolf (yet!), but it sounds promising. Experts, is this one also complete (57 minutes)?

Well excuse the **** out of me. I generally only give about 20% of my attention to typing here, which is usually more than it's worth. Less to anything Neil posts.

Lukas Kendall posted over at FSM that the blue box has been pushed to January and the Silver Age disc will be announced the week before Christmas.

It's in one of the 200 threads over at FSM about the blue box. :P

I'm not familiar with the full score to The Sea Wolf (yet!), but it sounds promising. Experts, is this one also complete (57 minutes)?

Chandos' 2005 recording of (the complete. I imagine) The Sea Wolf is 55 minutes + 5 minute trailer music.

http://www.chandos.co.uk/details06.asp?CNumber=CHAN%2010336

• 2 weeks later...