Film Score Monthly announces the Blue Box - Superman.

TownerFan

While I wouldn't call these holy grails, they are two often requested scores that are finally available.

Of course you would have to visit outside of this message board to know that.

I guess we have different ideas of what holy grails are

Holy grails are scores that have been widely requested for a very long time. And, in this case, they happen to be two good scores.

For me, Holy grails do not end with all of Williams expanded and Back to The Future (although expanded Indy's and Hook would be a dream come true, as would Black Sunday and Family Plot).

A "Holy Grail" is usually something that you really want that hasn't been officially released yet or something that is very hard to find.

I am hearing tale from a realiable source that some complete Indy scores will be coming early next year, and Kukas did say the boxed set would be January, so maybe it will be for order in December, but not shipped until January.

I am hearing tale from a realiable source that some complete Indy scores will be coming early next year, and Kukas did say the boxed set would be January, so maybe it will be for order in December, but not shipped until January.

Yep the possible expanded scores are already being discussed in another thread on this message board.

I believe the IJ scores will be a main release like the Star Wars scores were.

From FSM? Fortunately, no, that's not possible.

thats ashame :) i want more star wars!

after listening to the quality of the lord of the rings scores, i can see how run down and poor quality the old star wars scores are :P

thats ashame :P i want more star wars!

after listening to the quality of the lord of the rings scores, i can see how run down and poor quality the old star wars scores are :P

The RCA SE of Jedi is infamous for it's poor sound quality, yes.

The RCA SE's of Star Wars and Empire? Have you been listening to badly encoded/low quality MP3's of the scores or something? Because neither of the RCA SE CD releases even come close to displaying poor sound quality. The original 1977 score especially. :)

The RCA SE's of Star Wars and Empire? Have you been listening to badly encoded/low quality MP3's of the scores or something? Because neither of the RCA SE CD releases even come close to displaying poor sound quality. The original 1977 score especially. :)

They could be better though. Compare the ANH and Empire SEs with, say, the 20th Anniversary TMP. Not to mention the Musical Journey DVD.

I need to mention I did make an error in my explanantion of FSM's releases. They have released a score from the 80's, David Shire's Monkey Shines (1988). It was recorded with a non union orchestra.

I need to mention I did make an error in my explanantion of FSM's releases. They have released a score from the 80's, David Shire's Monkey Shines (1988). It was recorded with a non union orchestra.

They also released a Knight Rider CD set. But that was a special circumstance, I believe.

thats ashame :( i want more star wars!

after listening to the quality of the lord of the rings scores, i can see how run down and poor quality the old star wars scores are :(

The RCA SE of Jedi is infamous for it's poor sound quality, yes.

no I can't listen to any scores in MP3, it bugs me, i have them all on CD

its just i listen to other scores and im like i wish star wars sounded like that :(

yeah ROTJ is the worst as ROTK is THE BEST! :ola:

I LOVE ROTK CC (Thanks to the very generous and nice Stefan I can listen to the amazing score in 5.1! :))

Who knows, maybe in January we'll have something that sounds better for the Man Of Steel.

I think you're on to something there...

I haven't heard of this... ?

Marc, given the hints by Lukas over at FSM and the fact he got really upset when someone leaked the color of the box as blue, quite a few people think it's going to be a boxed set of the first 4 Superman films, all remastered and complete with alternates.

Who knows, maybe in January we'll have something that sounds better for the Man Of Steel.

I think you're on to something there...

I haven't heard of this... ?

Marc, given the hints by Lukas over at FSM and the fact he got really upset when someone leaked the color of the box as blue, quite a few people think it's going to be a boxed set of the first 4 Superman films, all remastered and complete with alternates.

Plus this would be the Williams-related thing that was going to be released by his 75th anniversary.

Are you guys kidding? Not owning the Rhino release of Superman: The Movie, I'd jump on that boxed set (and if the sound quality is as poor as I hear it is on the Rhino release, a remastered release would be worth it). And there is some enjoyable music from the other films. I kinda like some of the Nuclear Man music.

It has nothing to do with Williams 75th b-day.

At the end of last year someone when Lukas gave an update for the upcoming year someone asked him if any Williams was in the works and he said yes but not because of Williams 75th b-day.

The way people trip over themselves around here for a 30 sec NFL cue Williams wrote I'm suprised people aren't excited about the possibility of having the two themes he supposedly wrote for Superman IV.

It's all speculation as to what it could be. Lukas expects the box set to sell alot of copies, they are doing a first pressing of 3000 copies but it's not going to be a limited status. Based on sales they may stop there or re-press it the same way or in a different form.

He says it contains one of the most famous and beloved scores of all time. That could be anything from Gone With The Wind to E.T.

So given all that info one would think that maybe it's Williams related plus the color of the box could play a factor too.

We'll find out in January.

I wouldn't mind having a complete Superman III and Superman IV. Ken Thorne wrote more original material for III and his opening cue for the main titles is quite good in my opinion, plus everyone seems to complain about the sound quality of the Rhino 2 disc set.

A remastered Superman would be incredible. The sound quality on the Rhino set really does take it down a notch for me. As for the sequel scores, uh...

Well, I would like to hear a full version of Lacy's theme. "Nuclear Man" is just a hilarious rip-off of the Emperor's theme, though.

Wow, I totally missed this while I was gone for Christmas. I'd love Superman in higher quality (and with, presumably, more alternates like the one used in the Donner Cut), but I don't care much at all for the sequels. I'd have to see a final price tag.

$119.95 is what Lukas said.
...Ouch. Well, I'll wait to see what's going to be included. If it does turn out to be Superman.

If that's the case, I'm really in deep trouble... maybe someone here wants to loane me some money?

:blink:

FSM really buggered up their timing didn't they? If the big set had been released in November it would have made a wonderful Christmas prezzy. In January I dunno about you guys, but I'm staring at my credit card bill and sobbing uncontrollably. Whatever the box set is it'll have to be essential Williams, and limited to 200 copies if I'm to rush-buy this any time soon.

Yeah, I'm not going to be able to drop down $120 bucks at the drop of a hat either no matter what it is. Fortunately I think they said the first pressing was going to be rather large, and stressed the first pressing part so it should be available for a while.