Film Score Monthly announces the Blue Box - Superman.

TownerFan

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's a boxset containing the complete scores to the Police Academy series.

That was intended as a joke, but now I can't get that damn Police Academy theme out of my head. :devil:

I'm sure whatever it turns out to be I'll end up buying it. There are a few exceptions but I imagine it will be something worth getting.

Refresh my memory, what would be so good about a Superman box set? Is it just that we'd get Superman in better sound quality, or are the other composers' scores for the series a big draw too? Personally, neither would be something I'd be interested in, already owning the Rhino set and being fine with its quality.

Refresh my memory, what would be so good about a Superman box set? Is it just that we'd get Superman in better sound quality, or are the other composers' scores for the series a big draw too? Personally, neither would be something I'd be interested in, already owning the Rhino set and being fine with its quality.

I agree.It's just the 2 new themes in Superman 4

K.M.Who has LP rips of Superman 2 and 3 and listened to them once.

I have the Japanese CD of Superman II and I rarely listen to it. It's not the performance that is the problem, it's the horribly undersized sound of the orchestra. The opening titles for example are merely cringe inducing. The principal statement of the theme leading into the title credit is especially painful. It's like comparing the original performance of the Star Wars Main Title by the LSO to a professionally trained marching band performing the same piece.

Superman II would be the only score of the 4 I wouldn't care about.

Ken Thorne did write new material for Superman III, his opening credits piece has been a favorite of mine plus the original LP was woefully represented as far as the score goes. Side 2 was represented by crappy songs which included an awful synth performance of the Superman theme by Gorgio Moroder if my memory is correct.

Superman IV was scored by Alexander Courage , who composed the score using Williams original themes and apparently JW wrote two new themes.

The way you some of you have a near orgasms over a less than stellar 30 sec NFL theme by Williams I figured two themes by him would trigger a much anticipated meltdown.

Plus Superman IV was originally much longer than the actual version released and according to some Courage scored the longer version.

With 8 discs who knows? Maybe they found more alternate cues that Williams composed for Superman.

Of course all that only matters if is indeed a Superman boxed set......John....;)

And if it is a Superman box, then Superman will be in superior sound quality, since the source used for the DVDs is now available and is a better one.

Superman IV should a whole lot more music than what is heard in the film, as Courage scored the film to a longer edit. And I do find Sandy Courage work worth my money.

The way you some of you have a near orgasms over a less than stellar 30 sec NFL theme by Williams I figured two themes by him would trigger a much anticipated meltdown.

I think it's easier this time since we know a new Indy's on the way.

Of course all that only matters if is indeed a Superman boxed set......John....;)

;)

I would like Superman in better sound quality, but that's about it if that's what the set turns out to be.

John- still laughing about the Police Academy idea

I've never even heard the other scores. But if Superman has good sound quality... I don't even find it that great a score (I usually skip the second half), but it does have a few of Williams' very best moments.

The first cd is very superior to the second one, IMHO.

You don't know what you're talking about... You don't even care about The Man of Steel. You're too much of a Batman guy. ;)

Miguel, trying to piss of Romão ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Update over at FSM:

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/post...2&archive=0

The blue box has been pushed back to February/March but it is what most of us thought it was.

So John Williams and Superman in some form are headed our way.

How can the superman music fill 8 c.d.'s?

2 c.d.'s for Superman The Movie...2 each for 2.3.4?

How bout Superman The Movie+ Various Williams unreleased scores?

Easy, 2 discs for Superman, 2 Discs for SII, 2 Discs for SIII and 2 Discs for SIV. Or maybe they found some more alternate takes, also don't forget SIV was originally longer and Courage scored that version and Superman III contains more original music by Thorne.

If those are the scores in the set.

Read LK's new remarks, all the hints are there.

John Williams birthday in in Feb, The franchise's (Superman) birthday is in Feb.

Any clue as to when this blue box is gonna be released for sure or is Lukas still holding on it until they can get things nailed down? If it indeed turns out to be a Superman box set I'll buy it in a heart beat. The sound on the Rhino / Warner set is less than desirable for the original Superman and if they found the original masters for original Superman and were able to remaster it I would prefer that.

I haven't read up on this thread in a long time. Last I remember the Blue Box was supposed to be in December, obviously it's been delayed. So is it a fact that it's going to be Superman? If so, I may not get it, considering I don't care for Ken Thorne or Alexander Courage enough to cough up the $100 or so the thing will cost.

So is it a fact that it's going to be Superman? If so, I may not get it, considering I don't care for Ken Thorne or Alexander Courage enough to cough up the $100 or so the thing will cost.

I have the same problem.True the sound on the Rhino in not stellar but not terrible either....just how much better can it be

K.M.

I have the same problem.True the sound on the Rhino in not stellar but not terrible either....just how much better can it be

K.M.

Compare some cues from the Rhino set to the 2000 DVD isolated score you'll hear how much better the DVD isolated score is since Warner found the master tapes and were able to remaster the score for the DVD release. Trust me it can be a whole lot better. BTW Thorne's Superman II is not that bad, I would love to have a crystal clear quality version of it. I know there's a certain version of it out there but the sound quality is absolutely TERRIBLE.

This makes it easier to view instead of going over there.

lucy-pinder-superman-shirt.jpg

Wow. It's Superglands!

8-disk Superman set. DAMN DAMN DAMN! It's not something that I could really justify spending so much money on as I'm already pretty happy with the Rhino set. If it was the complete Indiana Jones scores then fine.... AAARGH!

The annoying thing is that I know I'll buy the bloody thing anway, but I won't be able to justify it to myself, so I'll beat myself up for a few weeks. Then my next paycheck will arrive, I'll pay off the credit card debt, and all will gently settle back to normal. And I'll have a few JW cues I didn't have before.

Hey, doesn't sound too bad when I think it through... :(

You don't think they'd throw in the complete Superman Returns soundtrack too do you? I mean sure it's not golden age in a sense but it's part of the Superman franchise...

I'd find it even harder to justify a purchase, were that the case.

Man, $120... Time to dig under the couch cushions...

Also, I don't suppose we could get an apostrophe + s in the title, could we? That's been bugging me for weeks.

If this will be indeed a Superman boxset as all the clues seem to lead to, my bet on the discs breakdown would be the following:

. 3 CDs for Superman The Movie -- complete score remastered from newfound elements on disc 1 and 2, with alternates, outtakes, source cues and various stuff on the third disc.

. 1 CD for Superman II -- the complete score would fill easily just one disc.

. 1 CD for Superman III -- I believe they will include just the Ken Thorne material and leave out the Moroder songs (expect maybe for the infamous synth version of the March), so this could easily fill just one disc.

. 2 CD for Superman IV -- Sandy Courage scored a longer cut of the film, so this would be probably a 2-hrs plus score, including alternates and outtakes.

The last disc could be anything. My money is on materail from the old tv series with George Reeves and/or stuff from the various cartoon series composed by Shirley Walker.

If this will be indeed a Superman boxset as all the clues seem to lead to, my bet on the discs breakdown would be the following:

. 3 CDs for Superman The Movie -- complete score remastered from newfound elements on disc 1 and 2, with alternates, outtakes, source cues and various stuff on the third disc.

. 1 CD for Superman II -- the complete score would fill easily just one disc.

. 1 CD for Superman III -- I believe they will include just the Ken Thorne material and leave out the Moroder songs (expect maybe for the infamous synth version of the March), so this could easily fill just one disc.

. 2 CD for Superman IV -- Sandy Courage scored a longer cut of the film, so this would be probably a 2-hrs plus score, including alternates and outtakes.

The last disc could be anything. My money is on materail from the old tv series with George Reeves and/or stuff from the various cartoon series composed by Shirley Walker.

And that is a dream of a set <_<

The only thing that Superman might have superior to Batman it's the score to its first major motion picture.

evreything about Superman is superior to Batman, from the music, to the action, to the acting.

Superman > Batman >all other Batman films including begins

Donner's direction> Burtons direction > nolans direction

Superman script > Batman scrip

JW score > Elfman/Prince score> Begin's zimmer trash, and JNH sublime contributions

Christopher Reeve > Michael Keaton> bale

Margot Kidder > Kim Bassinger> ms cruise

Gene Hackman > Jack Nicholsen> the schindler's list guy

Superman opening credits > Batman opening credits

I was talking about the character in general and respective universe, not so much the movies.

oh, ok well then that changes

nothing

Superman>Batman always.

I have no intentions of spending 120 bucks for this set, there are so many things I can do with 120 bucks that will be more enjoyable.